Advice Needed | Golden Skate

Advice Needed

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
"My ship has finally come in" and I am thinking of buying a home!! What is the best way to go?

Condo? Townhouse? or a house?

Help!!!! :D

bronxgirl

Medalist
I have a "funky" knee, which would never allow me to tolerate digging out the driveway after the snow, so condo life was the best option for me.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Great Lad! I too have a "wobbly" knee, so condos and townhouses that have an upstairs would be out for me. You need to consider body parts (joints) that may give you a problem in the future.........I would vote for a one story house.....one level, backyard, no common walls shared with a neighbor........:) 42

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
The best way to go is finding something that you can afford in the nicest neighborhood possible. It's really up to you on what you want to buy, condo, townhouse, house. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages.

southwest wind

Rinkside
Lad, I think you should buy a boat and dock it at Granville Island. A house boat would be fine. Thank would be my ideal life in VAN.
SWW

berthes ghost

Final Flight
It's about what lifestyle you're after.

House would give you the greatest freedom (how to decorate, remodel, etc...) and the most privacy, but the most responsibility. From big things like the roof to little things like cutting the lawn, you'd either have to do it yourself or hire/organize someone yourself.

Condo is the oposite. Almost everything is taken care of, but then you are the most restricted(having to pass every little thing by a board,etc..) and have the least privacy.

Town house is a sort of compromise.

Also location.

It's hard to find a house right smack in town, but also hard to find condos out in the coutry.

I'd make a priority list from most to least important and then start lisitng things like yard/garden, privacy, etc...

heyang

Record Breaker
If you like yard work, a house. If you don't like yard work, a condo or townhouse. Condo's in my area are like 1 or 2 bedroom apartments on a single level. Townhouses usually have a bit more square footage, over at least 2 floors.

For condos and townhomes. the maintenance rules are dependent upon the homeowner's association. The rules will vary and the levels of maintenance will vary.

For the townhome I grew up in, the roof is maintained by each owner. The exterior painting had to be done every few years at the owners' expense; everyone had to use the same paint colors. When siding became an option, only specific colors were allowed. Walkway maintenance and yard work are responsibililty of homeowner. Our group fees covered the cost of road maintenance, street lighting, and snow removal and a few common areas. That's why they are lower. Usually, higher fees equals less individual maintenance or extra amenities (ie gated community, pool, tennis courts, etc.)

Condo fees usually cover the exterior structure since they are common to residents of the buliding.

So, find out exactly what your association fees cover if you go condo or townhome. For all of the options, it's your responsibility to maintain the interior in totality. No landlord to call to fix the plumbing.

Good luck in your search!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I like my freedom and hope I never have to live in an apartment, townhouse, or condo. Another thing to think about if you do is if they have a garage. I hate having my car out in the snow. Also, down here, the heat. Of course, with a house, you have all the things like getting the plumber, etc. If you get a patio or garden home, most of those have caretakers that take care of the yard, snow, etc. To me that would be ideal and that's what I hope to get. Of course, there are fees for that too. It's kind of just how much you prefer one over the other but I prefer the freedom of owning my own. And as others have said, the condo's etc. also have things you have to take care of yourself. Since I am allergic to tobacco smoke, I doubt I could find anything with no smokers except a single home.
So glad to hear you're "boat came in". Have a great time with your search and enjoy every minute of it.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
The best advice I could give would be to take your time and really look at what's available to you. Don't allow yourself to be rushed or pressured. Make sure you have an independent building inspector go over the place before you sign anything.

That being said, buying a house was a great choice when my husband was alive. Since I lost him, it's been a struggle. Houses seem to need constant upkeep and repairs. It can add up to a bundle really fast.

At times, I think repairmen base their rates on the level of testosterone in the house. I have had to do a lot of research and studying online. I now know a great deal more about water heaters and toilets than I had ever dreamed possible. It helps me get a better idea of what needs to be done and the average costs of different repairs.

Last edited:

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I am SO excited for you LAD

Please keep us updated with details.

I know nothing about this subject but am interested in hearing how everything progresses. And hopefully you'll be able to get lots of good advice from all of our intelligent posters...our twin r girls come to mind.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good going Lad. I have looked at Condo's because I am not an outdoors person for things like cutting the grass or maintianing a garden of flowers. Another reason, I don't have much time to do those things. A friend of mine loves that sort of thing and will be out in the 90 degree weather cutting her grass and other outside chores. I just shudder sipping a nice cold glass of ice tea. As everyone said, it's what you want and I second the keeping us posted.

Dee

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Three words of advice:

Buy the best home you can buy for the money in the best possible location.

If you go condo or townhome, make sure you have LOSS OF USE and LOSS ASSESSMENT INSURANCE (Canada's laws are different from ours I'm sure). That way, if the building collapses or the Homeowners Association comes to you for money for some other problem/assessment, as your portion of the deductible, your insurance company will pay it. Try to get a home with an attached garage that goes right into your unit. A gated community with amenities would be nice. Newer is better, although in CA, condos built within 10 years may sue the developer for construction defects of one sort or another (involving common area and/or individual buildings or units.) I'd still prefer newer construction if at all possible.

The rule of thumb is that there is a better resale value for detached homes, but the older the home, the more work and money you will end up putting into it. A home is an endless money pit.

Be VERY careful about your lender. Get referrals from friends and STAY AWAY from Internet lenders. A mortgage broker is a good option, a credit union, a bank--again, get referrals from friends.

guinevere

Final Flight
Congratulations, Lad!

One thought about the condo/townhouse vs house issue: noise. I know you had a lot of issues with the eville downstairs neighbors for a long time about their noisiness. It is unlikely that a condo or townhouse association would allow anyone to be that disruptive to those around them, but shared walls = potential noise, and when you own it can be more annoying than when you rent.

Good luck!

guinevere

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks gang for the info! There is so much to think about. My head is spinning from looking at all the real estate magazines!!!

Silver Lining

Rinkside
Are you in Vancouver, Ladskater? And buying a house? Did you win the Super 7 jackpot? ;) (Just kidding).
But seriously, RealtorGal's post reminds me of a serious issue in Vancouver - the leaky condo crisis. While most of the structures have been repaired, beware of any bulidings without vinyl siding and proper roofs and covered balconies. I know from first hand experience - I lived in a leaky building for years, and suffered through the building envelope reconstruction. It was sheer hell!:mad: