Advice on which Jackson boots to choose | Golden Skate

Advice on which Jackson boots to choose

lxb

Spectator
Hello! New member on this forum looking for advice on choosing Jackson skates :)

Brief background: I'm a returning skater (23F) who is hoping to get back on the ice after over a 8 year gap. Before I had stopped skating, I had a pair of Jackson Premiere 2500 (stiffness 65), and had been working on landing my axel and a few doubles consistently. I'm hoping to replace the current boot I own (I had bought the Premieres in a used condition at a swap meet in my local rink, and hope to keep the same blade), and am looking into the different options available. My goal is to work back towards some of the jumps and spins that I've been doing in the past, and also enjoy having the opportunity to skate again :). I'm looking for a new boot that will hopefully last me for a long time, especially as I know my boot size has not changed/will not be changing for a while.

It's been a little difficult keeping up with all the new models and developments that have come out since my hiatus, and was hoping to get input and advice on the options I'm currently considering. As a side note, I'm mainly looking online, as my local rink shop has limited in-person availability due to COVID-19 and I unfortunately have a constrained budget (I am still currently a student). I am confident about my shoe size, and am looking mainly at Jacksons, as it is the brand that I am most familiar with and have consistently skated with in the past.

Options I'm considering:
- Jackson Elite 2700 (new condition): Since this is one of the older and discontinued models, it is at a significantly more affordable price point for me. It has a stiffness level of 70, which is a bit of a step up from my Premiere's. I'm not sure if this might step into "overbooting" territory, because the stiffness only differs by 5 points (not sure how big of a difference that actually is). I also heard that these boots are much heavier and have less cushioning/comfort than the new lines (i.e. Elite 5200) that are out.
- Jackson Elite 5200 (used condition): The used boot is at a similar, but slightly higher price point as the Jackson 2700. I've had fairly good successes with used skates in the past at swap meets. The description states that it is still in good condition (used less than a year) and can be re-heat molded if needed.
- Jackson Premiere 2800 (new condition): Surprisingly, this is the most expensive out of the these three options. However, this best matches the previous boots that I had in the past.

I was wondering if anyone who is more familiar with the new and old Jackson lines (and how they compare) can comment on these options or provide any advice on which boots to choose. I'm also definitely open to other suggestions as well.

shumaislife

Rinkside
I know the veterans of the Lutz Corner will come tell you about specific models. But could I personally give a plug for going to an in-person fitter?

I too am a student, in a state where there are no real fitters (only coaches in the rink shops). I had to drive 10 hours round trip on a Saturday to my closest "real" fitter, and I would say it was worth it! I know you say your shoe size has not changed, which may or may not be true. 8 years can do a lot to a foot, especially for us women where hormones can easily change feet size & shape. Also, are you the exact same weight/height as your 15-year-old self? This also affects sizing as well as boot stiffness that would work best with your skill levels.

Not only that, an experienced fitter can also suggest best boot models for you or new brands for you. It sounds like you are looking into Jacksons only out of familiarity, but it's totally possible that other brands might be better for your foot shape. Even if it turns out exactly that Jackson is the perfect brand (it is for me too!), the fitter will help you get your boots ready to wear: Heat molded, punched, blades mounted, and freshly sharpened.

Reactions: lxb

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I know the veterans of the Lutz Corner will come tell you about specific models. But could I personally give a plug for going to an in-person fitter?

I too am a student, in a state where there are no real fitters (only coaches in the rink shops). I had to drive 10 hours round trip on a Saturday to my closest "real" fitter, and I would say it was worth it! I know you say your shoe size has not changed, which may or may not be true. 8 years can do a lot to a foot, especially for us women where hormones can easily change feet size & shape. Also, are you the exact same weight/height as your 15-year-old self? This also affects sizing as well as boot stiffness that would work best with your skill levels.

Not only that, an experienced fitter can also suggest best boot models for you or new brands for you. It sounds like you are looking into Jacksons only out of familiarity, but it's totally possible that other brands might be better for your foot shape. Even if it turns out exactly that Jackson is the perfect brand (it is for me too!), the fitter will help you get your boots ready to wear: Heat molded, punched, blades mounted, and freshly sharpened.
First of all the Lutz Corner experts and veterans will give suggestions for boot brands and models and blades, but we always suggest going to a professional figure skating boot fitter to get properly fit.

shumaislife

Rinkside
First of all the Lutz Corner experts and veterans will give suggestions for boot brands and models and blades, but we always suggest going to a professional figure skating boot fitter to get properly fit.
Oh yes absolutely! Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Your recommendation, along with other members of the group, is why I decided to travel to a fitter VS buying it from rink shops with coaches (who I mistakenly thought were fitters but they are truly not).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! New member on this forum looking for advice on choosing Jackson skates :)

Brief background: I'm a returning skater (23F) who is hoping to get back on the ice after over a 8 year gap. Before I had stopped skating, I had a pair of Jackson Premiere 2500 (stiffness 65), and had been working on landing my axel and a few doubles consistently. I'm hoping to replace the current boot I own (I had bought the Premieres in a used condition at a swap meet in my local rink, and hope to keep the same blade), and am looking into the different options available. My goal is to work back towards some of the jumps and spins that I've been doing in the past, and also enjoy having the opportunity to skate again :). I'm looking for a new boot that will hopefully last me for a long time, especially as I know my boot size has not changed/will not be changing for a while.

It's been a little difficult keeping up with all the new models and developments that have come out since my hiatus, and was hoping to get input and advice on the options I'm currently considering. As a side note, I'm mainly looking online, as my local rink shop has limited in-person availability due to COVID-19 and I unfortunately have a constrained budget (I am still currently a student). I am confident about my shoe size, and am looking mainly at Jacksons, as it is the brand that I am most familiar with and have consistently skated with in the past.

Options I'm considering:
- Jackson Elite 2700 (new condition): Since this is one of the older and discontinued models, it is at a significantly more affordable price point for me. It has a stiffness level of 70, which is a bit of a step up from my Premiere's. I'm not sure if this might step into "overbooting" territory, because the stiffness only differs by 5 points (not sure how big of a difference that actually is). I also heard that these boots are much heavier and have less cushioning/comfort than the new lines (i.e. Elite 5200) that are out.
- Jackson Elite 5200 (used condition): The used boot is at a similar, but slightly higher price point as the Jackson 2700. I've had fairly good successes with used skates in the past at swap meets. The description states that it is still in good condition (used less than a year) and can be re-heat molded if needed.
- Jackson Premiere 2800 (new condition): Surprisingly, this is the most expensive out of the these three options. However, this best matches the previous boots that I had in the past.

I was wondering if anyone who is more familiar with the new and old Jackson lines (and how they compare) can comment on these options or provide any advice on which boots to choose. I'm also definitely open to other suggestions as well.
My advice is, if Jackson boots are still what work for you (Get a proper fitting by a boot pro), then I would recommend the Premiere Fusion 2800 and nothing else in their line. For your skill level etc, others you've asked about here are too advanced and stiff for your level (and yes even being an adult). And pair them with an intermediate blade JW Coro Ace or MK Pro.

Don't buy your skate boots 2nd hand, that's just not going to turn out well and you don't know their true quality and if they are already breaking down. And you need these boots to fit you and that is why you need to go to a fitter (as mentioned above).

Aimee-01

On the Ice
Country
Canada

Options I'm considering:

I don’t have a lot of information on the adult Jackson boots, but if you are planning to use these skates quite frequently then do not get used skates. It will be very uncomfortable if you are using these often