After the hip repair of Michelle, are you all waiting for her big return | Page 2 | Golden Skate

After the hip repair of Michelle, are you all waiting for her big return

fml99

Rinkside
Great example

Yes, I think Katerina's comeback is a great model to follow. She wasn't expecting gold in 1994. She just wanted the opportunity to compete one last time. She gave it her all and let the standings fall where they may. If Michelle is cool with going in with that attitude, then power to her. I do believe that every veteran should be applauded for their efforts, as long as their expectations are realistic. (I'd like the media's expectations to be realistic as well, but that's of course impossible!)

Michelle has to go to the Regionals, Sectionals before meeting up with Mirai, Caroine let alone Kimmie and anyone else on the upcoming trail.

I just don't see it. I think they should arrange to have her in a special presentation on NBC, as a gracious adieu. (NBC has a lineup of dumb shows. They could afford to dump one.)

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
... . I think they should arrange to have her in a special presentation on NBC, as a gracious adieu. (NBC has a lineup of dumb shows. They could afford to dump one.)

Joe

How long until Michelle and Irina can be jointly inducted into the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame? (I would like to see a special ceremony in Colorado -- where they competed against each other for the first time -- with all the "young'uns" -- to learn how an international rivalry should be conducted -- and with exhibition skates -- many of them -- from both!)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Other than chasing that elusive Olympic gold medal Kwan has really nothing to prove. She has won it all more or less. It is highly unlikely that she will return to competitive skating and even more that Sasha Cohen will. They both sound like they have turned the corner and are looking beyond the skating world for fulfillment. Many skaters talk about or dream of their glory days and may consider returning to the amateur ranks, but few do. Some have tried and it is a disaster. I think it is better for them to leave at the top of their game. With all the new kids on the block it will be hard for Michelle and Sasha to keep up. What about Kimmie Meisner? She will be tough competition for Michelle and Sasha. Neither can jump as well as she can. Well, it is sure going to be interesting to see what happens.

number9dream

Rinkside
I ain't gonna lie I'm wishing for a comeback for MK. lol.. You never know with people! There's this one chick who was in a very bad car accident and was told she'd never dance again (she's a professional dancer) let alone walk . Welp, she walked AND danced again.

Fossi

Final Flight
:rofl:I am waiting for Michelle, Sasha, Irina, Maria B, and Tara Lipinski to all come back and reclaim their World titles.

My bad. I just remembered Sasha never had a World title to claim or reclaim. Maybe she'll come back and try again to get one though?:chorus:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I'm always facinated by the dire predictions on a possible Michelle comeback... what difference does it make? Win or lose - she's still the standard bearer and its so weird to imply that she's this old has-been who couldn't possibly make a good showing - so she should just quit... why? because the fans say so... huh? If she can skate, jump, land and spin - I say go for it... Its not my job to say what anyone can or cannot do...

But being the uber that I am, I will say for the record that if she comes back, I'll be the loudest one in the arena - the packed arena. If she decides to commentate, awesome! I'll have a viewing party at my house. If she decides to stick with politics - I'll watch for her on CSPAN and Hardball. If she decides to move into the business arena - I'll continue to purchase Maxxis tires (which are pretty good) for my Trailblazer... If she decides to sit on her couch, count her millions and eat potatoe chips and never be heard of again - I'll cheer for that too (while being totally jealous that I still work like a pack mule...)

Some people have earned their place through hard work and dedication - she's one that I count in that group and I support all of her efforts.

Nothing wrong with her coming back as did Witt, but remember, Witt did not have to go through Regionals, Sectionals, Nationals to get to Worlds or Olys. USFS has rules.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Nothing wrong with her coming back as did Witt, but remember, Witt did not have to go through Regionals, Sectionals, Nationals to get to Worlds or Olys. USFS has rules.

Joe

I don't recall anyone suggesting that Michelle skip any of the required events. If she should come back, expect the ticket prices of Regionals (and Sectionals, if she makes it) to increase dramatically.

BTW -- does the USFS still have the rule giving reigning Oly medalists a bye to Nats? If Sasha has a bye, then MK's comeback (assuming there is one) means that tickets to Regionals and/or Sectionals probably will only double in price, whereas if Sasha doesn't have a bye, then the ticket prices will more likely quadruple for each "match up".

Last edited:
I don't recall anyone suggesting that Michelle skip any of the required events. If she should come back, expect the ticket prices of Regionals (and Sectionals, if she makes it) to increase dramatically.

BTW -- does the USFS still have the rule giving reigning Oly medalists a bye to Nats?
So what is so wrong with me bringing all that to the attention of fans here? If MK does not have to go through the required events, then I am wrong. So what? I would certainly appreciate info on the USFS giving byes to Nats on previous USFS skaters. I really don't know.

During the Grand Comebacks for the "Pro" skaters, was anyone involved in the competition by the USFS who didn't go through Nats that year? How did Boitano qualify? Was it a bye and who was left out if the limit was three?

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
So what is so wrong with me bringing all that to the attention of fans here? If MK does not have to go through the required events, then I am wrong. So what? I would certainly appreciate info on the USFS giving byes to Nats on previous USFS skaters. I really don't know.

During the Grand Comebacks for the "Pro" skaters, was anyone involved in the competition by the USFS who didn't go through Nats that year? How did Boitano qualify? Was it a bye and who was left out if the limit was three?

Joe

Since MK isn't a reigning medalist, she definitely will have to go through regionals and sectionals to get to Nats; what I was wondering is whether the rule was still in place that would allow Sasha (as reigning OSM) back into Nats without regionals/sectionals.

Boitano got on the US team for '94 Olys at Nats, but I don't know if he got a bye to Nats (as opposed to regionals or sectionals). I do know, however, that if MK is allowed back into Nats without qualifying (whether it be through regionals/sectionals or a competition bye), the press will have a hissy fit at her expense.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker

Joe

I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing that point up and its valid... If Kwan can't make it out of sectionals & regionals then so be it... But wow... how cool would that be to compete against the Kwen at a local event... the press coverage, the exposure, the benefit to the rinks, the chance for the next generation of skaters to see her up close & personal as only those local comps can be... The best thing for the sport on the National scene in a very long time... Unless of course, you come in fourth and she skates like the Diva she is...

For some reason, I believe that Brian medaled at Nationals that year, but I can't remember if he won... How about Elaine Zayak? Did she make the local rounds before her return to competition?

More importantly: is it better or worse for skating in general when a legendary skater or at least a world medalist to get that controveral bye or to compete at the local level? It seems that it might be six eggs in one hand 1/2 dozen in another...

goldenpleasures

On the Ice

Actually this is incorrect. In 1993-94 Witt had to qualify for the Olympics by finishing in the top two in German nationals, and also by being one of the top two highest ranked German skaters at Europeans that year.

mememe

On the Ice
Since MK isn't a reigning medalist, she definitely will have to go through regionals and sectionals to get to Nats; what I was wondering is whether the rule was still in place that would allow Sasha (as reigning OSM) back into Nats without regionals/sectionals.

Boitano got on the US team for '94 Olys at Nats, but I don't know if he got a bye to Nats (as opposed to regionals or sectionals). I do know, however, that if MK is allowed back into Nats without qualifying (whether it be through regionals/sectionals or a competition bye), the press will have a hissy fit at her expense.

Boitano was required to go through regionals (maybe, can't recall for sure) and sectionals (for sure) with the same caveat that all the skaters get -- he was excused from those events if he was participating in another event for the USFSA within a certain period of time before/after those events. If he was required to do regionals, he was doing Skate America at the time (so did not compete there), and I think he was doing the USFSA pro-am around the time of sectionals (so did not do sectionals). He went to U.S. nationals and finished second to Scott Davis (won the SP, finished second in the FS). Since there were only two spots for U.S. men that year, he and Scott Davis were named to the team. Third place went to Aren Nielsen, who got to go to worlds after Boitano got injured after the Olympics while practicing for Worlds.

When was Todd at the Olys and did rather poorly? Wasn't it the same year Boitano was making his comeback? Oh this early onset dimentia! I can't remember who was ruling France during the building of the Suez Canal.

Joe

BTW, Thanks goldenpleasures for the tip on Witt.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Joe, it was 1992 when Todd did especially poorly at the Olympics. He got a bye onto the Olympic team that year (skipped Nationals due to a bad back). He then skated poorly at Albertville and only came in 9th or 11th or something like that. After that, he went into a funk of sorts and really didn't get back on his game (and into medal contention) until the mid- to late 1990s.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
P.S. I don't think Todd even made the Olympic team for Lillehammer in 1994, which is the year Boitano came back. I think it was Boitano, Davis, and possibly Weiss that year. Although I can't remember for sure.