After the hip repair of Michelle, are you all waiting for her big return | Page 3 | Golden Skate

After the hip repair of Michelle, are you all waiting for her big return

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
P.S. I don't think Todd even made the Olympic team for Lillehammer in 1994, which is the year Boitano came back. I think it was Boitano, Davis, and possibly Weiss that year. Although I can't remember for sure.

IIRC, the US only got to send two men to the '94 Olys -- Davis (US Nat champ) and Boitano. Brian then skipped Worlds and Mark Mitchell (who won bronze at Nats) went. Mitchell was also the bronze medalist at Nats in '92 -- and didn't get to go because Todd got a bye. Over ten years after these events, he was on the committee that voted to determine if Michelle got a bye to Torino.

IIRC, the US only got to send two men to the '94 Olys -- Davis (US Nat champ) and Boitano. Brian then skipped Worlds and Mark Mitchell (who won bronze at Nats) went. Mitchell was also the bronze medalist at Nats in '92 -- and didn't get to go because Todd got a bye. Over ten years after these events, he was on the committee that voted to determine if Michelle got a bye to Torino.
I'm really interested because it was about the time I was back in the States and knew nothing.

So Todd was not in the 92 Olys but got a bye for the 92 Worlds? Mitchell also went to Worlds that year. The Worlds team was Davis, Eldridge, Mitchell. Is that correct?

Somehow, I remembr Todd skating poorly in the Olys. It must have been 94 or 96 whenever that Olys took place. And I thought they should have let that Mitchell guy skate instead but Mitchell did skate in a Worlds that year and poorly, too.

Joe

mememe

On the Ice

It was Aren Nielsen who finished third in 1994 and who went to Worlds when Brian withdrew due to injury.

Mitchell went to 1992 Worlds rather than Paul Wylie. In 1992, Bowman won the U.S. title, Wylie was second and Mitchell third -- but Eldredge, who was the defending national champion, got a medical bye onto the team. Bowman made the team as the national champion, and Wylie went as silver medalist, but the committee at the same time they decided that Wylie would go to the Olympics named Mitchell to the 1992 world team rather than Wylie -- kind of as a consolation prize, since Mitchell had medaled at nationals, there were three spots for U.S. men at the 1992 Olympics, but he didn't get to go. (When Wylie took silver at the Olympics, there was some flak about the Olympic silver medalist being unable to go to worlds because he hadn't been named to the team, but the decision stood). Bowman was fourth, Mitchell fifth and Eldredge seventh at 1992 worlds, which left the U.S. with just two spots again for 1993 (back then, I think the rule still was that the countries that had skaters medal got three spots the next year, in the top 10 or something like that got two spots, everyone else one spot). Mitchell also went in 1993, when he was second to Davis at U.S. nationals, but neither Mitchell nor Davis medaled (Mitchell, I think, we second or something like that after the SP, but faltered in the LP and finished fourth). That meant the U.S. had only two spots for the 1994 Olympics and worlds.

Thanks for the info mememe. It reads like a crazy wild and wooly time for the US Men's Division. I had to read your post very slowly to make sure who was where in what year. :laugh: Thanks again. :)

Joe