Air and Art - A Competitive Format For Extending Careers | Golden Skate

Air and Art - A Competitive Format For Extending Careers

NaVi

Medalist
I find the ending of figure skating careers to be quite depressing. Men who give up because they can't or don't want to do quads. Women who give up because it's getting harder to keep up with the youngsters doing triple-triples... who are now doing triple axels and quads. I think figure skating suffers from premature obsolescence caused by it's current format. And it's more of a problem for singles as there are more successful pair skaters and ice dancers in their early 30s. I think some kind of pro-scene(or amateur competitions that emulate it) needs to be revived. The ISU alone didn't kill pro skating... but it bears some responsibility and ought to do something to fill the void.

What's the most objective and stable comparison that can be made between two figure skaters? IMO, it's airtime. With rotations there are borderline cases... with the jump types themselves there are some who believe flutzes should count as flips and lips as lutzes. Other values could be measured like spin speeds, top speeds, total ice coverage, etc... but different types of music may interfere too much with those values. I don't think airtime should be the be-all and end-all in IJS figure skating(far from it, my favorites typically don't stand out in the size of their jumps), but I think it would be interesting to have total airtime serve as the basis of a new competitive format... one I think might have a shot at Olympic recognition. A problem with the past "pro" style competitions is that many were cheesefests and not legit athletic competitions and by grounding half the competition on jump airtimes then it becomes a legitimate athletic competition.

So how would it work? Have all the skaters perform the exact same set of jumps(one example, women: 2A 3T 3F 3Lz 3S 3Lo. men: 3A 3A 3F 3Lz 3S 3Lo) and add up the air time. Jump quality does not matter for the jump score but could factor in the performance/artistic score. Only deductions are for falls(0%), hand down(50%), 2 footed landings(50%), and popping the jump(50%). Forget edge checking as long as typical jump entries are used. Forget underrotations. Forget the relative difficulty between jump types because everyone will be doing the same set of jumps. Forget combinations(though I'm intrigued by allowing 3T+3T as I find a lone 3T to be boring). I'm neutral on backflips(against in IJS) but they should not count in the jump score. One of the medals would be given out for airtime alone. An open, neutral algorithm would cluster the total airtimes into ordinals for usage deciding the overall winner.

I haven't completely thought through the judging of the artistic/performance score. There are many different ways this could be done that would be fine. As far as subjective judging and the Olympics goes, Olympic boxing has had as many if not more judging controversies and they switched systems after a controversy in 1988 and went back in 2016 to their old judging system. IMO, the most important factor is picking neutral judges and there are many ways that could be attempted. I'm not sure how feasible this is, but I would put a call out to former top competitors(qualified for FS at worlds) over the age of 40 and ask if they'd like to judge... and then ask the competitors to select which judges they're ok with... and then have a drawing where a potential judge gets 1 ticket by default and another ticket for each competitor that is ok with them and select 7-13 judges(or select more and do another drawing of judges at the competition)... and they would give out ordinals but with some kind of written justification for their choices. In replacement of component scoring, just require the judges to verbally compare skaters in certain areas(spins, skating, etc). If things get too rancorous, I'd consider letting the judges scores be anonymous but their collective comments be public.

Three medals would be given out... one for Jumps(airtime), Performance(art+other aspects), Overall.

Skating and spins should be much freer than in IJS. Skaters would be allowed to use props. Time should be set at 5 minutes or variably between 4-6 minutes. I would prefer theatrical lighting but I understand that it hard it can be to jump in it. I would also prefer the skaters not be aware of what their competitors are skating to before they fly out to the event(they may catch a glimpse from practice).

In the early competitions, participation should be limited to 6-10 in ladies and men. Participation dibs would go in the order of Olympic medalists, World medalists, GPF medalists, Euro/4CC medalists, GP medalists, World FS qualifiers, Grand Prix participants. I would set the minimum age to at least 21 and maybe up to 25 or 27.

I'm skeptical that these events by themselves would be commercially viable at first. They would need to bootstrap on top of current high level competitions like the Worlds, GPF, Euros, 4CC, or a GP Event . Japan and China might be options without an co-event... other countries(Russia, US, Canada, Spain, Italy, Switzerland) might be options with a good local headliner.

But if it gained Olympic recognition, then perhaps the format would gain popularity and get it's own circuit like the grand prix.

I remember reading from I think Elvis Stojko(it may not have been him) the idea of maybe jump competitions becoming an Olympic sport... and I personally don't think jump competitions by themselves would be that interesting and they would have their own judging controversies. But I think this Air and Art format might have a chance since finding who is the biggest jumper is something worth discovering. As far as Art(performance) side being "subjective" and prone to judging controversies, well so is Olympic boxing. And for the Olympics I could see only two medals being given out... an Airtime and Overall medal.

Thanks for reading my ramblings...

Amei

Record Breaker
Well how 'bad' is the pro scene outside of the US? I know the US has limited tour(s), but I see different ice shows in Japan and Europe being done, and I've seen threads about production shows in Russia like Averbauk and something similar in St. Petersburg that was like a ballet on ice, and they had the TV show with kids competing with some former Olympians as their 'coaches' for the show.

NaVi

Medalist
Well how 'bad' is the pro scene outside of the US? I know the US has limited tour(s), but I see different ice shows in Japan and Europe being done, and I've seen threads about production shows in Russia like Averbauk and something similar in St. Petersburg that was like a ballet on ice, and they had the TV show with kids competing with some former Olympians as their 'coaches' for the show.

I was thinking more of the competitive scene... of which the last competition with high level recognizable names was the Medal Winners Open.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_Winners_Open

But the pro-scene in the US is sad... it's better in Europe where you have Averbukh, Plushenko, Lambiel, Art on Ice, and coming soon Fernandez that are better promoters. It'll be interesting how the Thank you Canada tour goes.

The european shows usually have something more than skating to offer the audience like acrobatic acts... Averbukh does ice theatre with famous names... Art on Ice does live bands with good effects.

I am a little bit nervous about the air-time thing. What a skater does in the air is not skating. I think an argument could be made that what the skater does with his blades on the ice is more important than leaping and hanging in the air.

NaVi

Medalist
I am a little bit nervous about the air-time thing. What a skater does in the air is not skating. I think an argument could be made that what the skater does with his blades on the ice is more important than leaping and hanging in the air.

Thanks for your response.

I understand this perspective, but I would argue that jumps are already central in figure skating competitions and that revolutions, quick rotation, and consistency have been prioritized over size. A competition format grounded first on objectively measured airtime could provide a counterbalance. And there would still be an art/performance and overall medal given out.

The purpose of this proposal is to keep skaters skating long after they're unable to keep up with the revolution standards(quads, 3A, combos) and compete on the airtime of their triples... skating really would have about the same place as it does in IJS.

The purpose of this proposal is to keep skaters skating long after they're unable to keep up with the revolution standards (quads, 3A, combos) and compete on the airtime of their triples...

What an interesting idea. No matter how many times you rotate in the air (and no matter how far you jump distance-wise), the air time is completely determined by the maximum height that you achieve. (Basketball players and ballet dancers create the illusion of hanging in the air by maneuvering their arms and legs around their center of gravity. A figure skater can do the same in a Russian split jump, but not so much in a rotational jump.)

A mature skater with strong legs might achieve two meters in height on a triple jump, which means his air time is about 1.3 seconds.

A tiny whirling dervish rotating a quad with a height of 1 meter will be in the air for only nine-tenths of a second.

Whether this will prolong a skater’s career is another question, though. If the guy with the huge triple weighs 65 kg, he will hit the ice with a force of – um – 1274 joules. The junior lady quadster at 40 kg lands with a force of only 392 joules. ;)

https://www.angio.net/personal/climb/speed.html

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
What about bringing back figures? Skaters who no longer want to hurl themselves into the air and cause injury might find figures fascinating. Back in the day when figures were a main component of a competition a skaters figure skating skills were really put to the test in this discipline. It takes real discipline, balance and coordination to put down a perfect figure 8. It would be cool to see some top skaters out there tracing figure 8s! Long live figures...