Akiko Suzuki On The Move | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Akiko Suzuki On The Move

christinaskater

Medalist
Her passion for skating reminds me of Michelle Kwan!

I love skaters who bring magic on the ice and they really have this amazing charisma that draws people to them

It's like Akiko hits the switch on button and skates from the heart like MK!

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Akikko is the best surpise of the season for me. Her lp at GPF brought me to tears. For her not to be placed on the Olympic team would be ridiculious.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I like her better than Miki and Mao. She might not have as much natural talent but is definitely more fun to watch!

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
She is Japan's best

I like her better than Miki and Mao. She might not have as much natural talent but is definitely more fun to watch!

I don't know what there is not to like about her skating. She knows what to do with music. Maybe I'm going to far but I think it would be criminal not to see her make the olympics with the way she has been performing.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't know what there is not to like about her skating. She knows what to do with music. Maybe I'm going to far but I think it would be criminal not to see her make the olympics with the way she has been performing.

I agree. I think she will go though. Yukari and Fumie at their best aren't as good as her. Fumie has already gone 3 times anyhow, and Yukari is just not as strong as Akiko

KayMil01

On the Ice
I think it's so werid that she's never skating in the GP series besides this year?! how is that possible!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
She suffered from nasty anorexia after her jr. career, and couldnt' skate.

:frown: I hadn't heard that before. That's too bad. She's a lovely skater but I heard she was never that popular in Japan. Hopefully that will change if she does great at the Olympics!

shine

Record Breaker
:frown: I hadn't heard that before. That's too bad. She's a lovely skater but I heard she was never that popular in Japan. Hopefully that will change if she does great at the Olympics!
Well, she never had the chance to become popular. Her last international appearance before last season was, IIRC, at 2002 4CC, when she was 16. That's a good 7 years from the elite scene. Even though she isn't as widely popular as Asada and Ando, I'm sure there are many skating fans in Japan that are pulling for her on a very emotional level.

I simply adore her skating. I think her musicality and freedom is unmatched today. Her performance at GPF brought me to tears because she is skating with such joy and such reckless abandon. It's like she's giving it everything to make up for all the years that she missed. I really, really, really want her to make the Olympic team and be a possible medal spoiler at the games. She deserves it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngr4onR90zU

I also love her exhibition program last year "Libertango"

:clap::clap::clap:
Most musical and passionate performance by a lady I've seen in ages!!!!!! :love:

Last edited by a moderator:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've been telling my non-FSing-fan friends to watch her WSS on Youtube I think it is that good. No doubt in my mind, she is the BEST performer out there. And that is a real complement as I love some of the other female skaters. Her tech side isn't too shabby either.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Some interesting comments and praise for Akiko!

I agree with most of them and wonder if Akiko missed her era?

Would she have been judged more fairly under 6.0?

Despite it's faults, I think 6.0 judges knew a good performance when they saw it and were not afraid to reward it.

Somehow CoP makes it possible for performers landing fewer jumps and skating cautiously and without much spark to be scored ahead of a clearly superior performance.

I hope Akiko makes it to Vancouver and skates the way she did at the GPF.
It will be interesting to see where the judges place her and the public reaction to it.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Somehow CoP makes it possible for performers landing fewer jumps and skating cautiously and without much spark to be scored ahead of a clearly superior performance.

Ugh, I know. Joannie, Alissa, Laura, Carolina. You shouldn't win a competition with 3 triples you just shouldn't!

koongpa

Rinkside

Despite it's faults, I think 6.0 judges knew a good performance when they saw it and were not afraid to reward it.

It will be interesting to see where the judges place her and the public reaction to it.

Akiko's PCS did appear to be underscored at GPF, but really.. why did CoP vs. 6.0. have to come up again?

If Akiko was somehow intentionally held down, which I believe did not happen, she would have been held down the same way under 6.0 just as well. Does 6.0 reward clean performances? Yes, but remember it also held up favorites at the same time. I understand that CoP is the evil of the sport, but really it's time to move on. I think it's more productive to propose reasonable changes to the judging system like what Blade of Passion is doing, rather than blaming every seemingly unfairness on CoP.

By the way, she has shown only one style that she could pull off very nicely. I've watched all of her programs from 08-09, but her presentation skill truly lacks diversity. Her arm movements are quite repetitive, and the facial expression does not help IMO. Maybe this could explain her relatively low PCS?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Akiko's PCS did appear to be underscored at GPF, but really.. why did CoP vs. 6.0. have to come up again?

If Akiko was somehow intentionally held down, which I believe did not happen, she would have been held down the same way under 6.0 just as well. Does 6.0 reward clean performances? Yes, but remember it also held up favorites at the same time. I understand that CoP is the evil of the sport, but really it's time to move on. I think it's more productive to propose reasonable changes to the judging system like what Blade of Passion is doing, rather than blaming every seemingly unfairness on CoP.

By the way, she has shown only one style that she could pull off very nicely. I've watched all of her programs from 08-09, but her presentation skill truly lacks diversity. Her arm movements are quite repetitive, and the facial expression does not help IMO. Maybe this could explain her relatively low PCS?

How is proposing "changes" on a skating board any more productive than comparing a possible philosophical difference in systems?

This is for fun and the proposals on the CoP thread are interesting and some are very good.
But we are in cyberspace and none of this matters in the real world. ;)

Figure88

On the Ice
Akiko was underscored. No doubt about that. However, like the posters on the other threads have mentioned, I think she has to be in a few more competitions and consistently perform at the same level before anyone can justifiably cry foul about her podium placement. Also, I didn't find her particlar brand of artistry of pointing fingers and cute facial expressions that appealing (a Joubert type of performance, I guess). It's a subjective thing, I suppose.

chloepoco

Medalist
Akiko was underscored. No doubt about that. However, like the posters on the other threads have mentioned, I think she has to be in a few more competitions and consistently perform at the same level before anyone can justifiably cry foul about her podium placement. Also, I didn't find her particlar brand of artistry of pointing fingers and cute facial expressions that appealing (a Joubert type of performance, I guess). It's a subjective thing, I suppose.

Huh?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

1994: Oksana Baiul vs Nancy Kerrigan
1988: Midori Ito vs Katarina Witt

janetfan

Match Penalty
1994: Oksana Baiul vs Nancy Kerrigan
1988: Midori Ito vs Katarina Witt

Looking back at Midori one has to remember she was horrible at the school figures. After the figures and SP at Calgary Midori was not in position to challenge Kati for the OGM.

When Jill Trenary won the WC in 1990 Midori was so far behind after the figures that all Jill needed was a clean skate in her LP to win.

Oksana and Nancy is not as easy. I think in 93 and 94 Oksana was a better skater than Nancy

Nancy might have won the OGM in 94 if today's version of CoP was being used. I also think switching era's and systems is about the dumbest thing skating fans can do. It makes no sense at all since Oksana was trained to skate under 6.0 rules. She was also sort of like Sasha and not the most consistent jumper but was a natural performer.

Oksana won in '94 under 6.0 and I think it was close and hard to judge under either system. I have seen both girls skate Live several times in their prime and Oksana had a quality to her skating that probably meant more to a 6.0 era judge than a judge from today.

Her skating was more musical, more emotional and younger fans who only saw an older Oksana past her prime have no idea how she lit up an arena.

As a big fan of Janet I have never complained that Trixie won the OGM in '72. She was great at figures and a mediocre freeskater. But under the rules of the day Trixie won.

Last edited: