Alexander Georgievich Gorshkov passed away | Golden Skate

Alexander Georgievich Gorshkov passed away

Caliban

On the Ice
Source: https://fsrussia.ru/news/novosti/ushel-iz-zhizni-aleksandr-georgievich-gorshkov

The world of figure skating has suffered an irreparable loss. At the 77th year of his life, the president of the Russian Figure Skating Federation, Alexander Georgievich GORSHKOV, died suddenly.

Soviet figure skater, the first Olympic champion in ice dancing paired with Lyudmila Pakhomova, six-time world and European champion, Honored Master of Sports of the USSR. Since 2010, the president of the Russian Figure Skating Federation.

The most intelligent person, whose respectful attitude towards people, athletes and colleagues can be considered a benchmark. A man of iron endurance, who even in the most difficult situations did not allow himself to lose his temper and found solutions. His inherent qualities of intelligence and reasonableness were perceived by many as excessive softness, but in reality Alexander Georgievich was a strategist who knew how to think big and far-sighted. He was a peacemaker who solved all acute issues in a diplomatic way.

His whole life was devoted and selfless service to figure skating. Despite the titles, titles, he remained simple and open… And everyone knew that at any moment you can call or come to Alexander Georgievich, talk to him frankly, hear words of support and resolve the issue.

Outwardly always calm, Alexander Georgievich was a man with a strong character who went through a lot and achieved a lot thanks to his will. A year before the 1976 Olympic Games, where he and Lyudmila Pakhomova won Olympic gold for the first time in history in a new discipline – ice dancing, Alexander Georgievich underwent a severe lung operation. After this, many do not even think about continuing their sports career. Alexander Georgievich returned and became an Olympic champion under the guidance of coach Elena Tchaikovsky!

He always took everything to heart. I couldn't watch the performances of our guys at the competitions calmly. He always stood modestly looking out from behind the scenes, as if he himself lived every moment on the ice.

He always rejoiced with the athletes and experienced failures with them, found the right words and was believed, because he himself went through it in his career and, like no one else, understood what it was worth.

Alexander Georgievich loved life, adored his family, his wife Irina, daughter Yulia, and his grandchildren.

"No one has defined the category of happiness, and everyone has their own concept in this regard. I am lucky that my whole life, from the age of 6 to this day, is connected with a business that I really, really love. I was lucky with the people who surrounded me and surround me. Like everyone else in life, there have been different stages, difficulties, tragedies, but all this is our life. I often reproach myself, analyzing some steps, not because I am not confident in myself, but belong to the category of people who rarely make decisions on emotions, which then have to regret, although this also happens, as with everyone in certain situations. But I was lucky. And with business, and with people, and with colleagues, and most importantly – with my loved ones. So I'm happy with the results at the moment."

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sad news for sad times. Perhaps new leadership will be younger and do things differently.

Amei

Record Breaker
Shcherbakova's comments. Shcherbakova's comments about him helping out with her first serious injury (I assume her leg break) is impressive and seems to speak to his character, Russian ladies figure skating wasn't hurting for talent at that time (still isn't) and she suffered a pretty bad injury that likely could have resulted in her never skating again or being able to achieve any kind of serious results, and the head of the Fed still took the initiative to make sure she got the proper care.

"He was there for all the important competitions and knew how to find the right words to inspire us to win.

When I was still very young and I had my first serious injury, Alexander Georgievich personally called and found out how the recovery was going, helped with the doctors.

And just yesterday we called – he was interested in how the meeting of the Olympians went," Shcherbakova said on the air of the First Channel.

Tuktamysheva's comments
"Today Alexander Gorshkov passed away... a man with a capital letter, an outstanding athlete.

Alexander Georgievich always supported me and knew how to choose the right words. We will all miss him! Rest in peace," Tuktamysheva wrote.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I'll never forget their performance at the 1976 Olympics. It was the first time I watched Ice Dance.
I feel privileged to have seen the great man several times live as RusFed president at Rostelecom. RIP ❤️ 💙

Ksenia Stolbova posted on her IG story:
"This was an amazing man who truly cares about every athlete and coach no matter what age or regalia."