Lucas Broussard sums up successful season | Golden Skate

Lucas Broussard sums up successful season

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USA's Lucas Broussard sums up the successful season he had after winning both his Junior Grand Prix events and taking silver at the 2022-23 Junior Grand Prix Final. He delves into why his achievements were unexpected, and goes into detail about his back injury, his growth spurt, and the improvements on his jumps on the quad and triple Axel.

The U.S. National Junior Champion also talked about the highlights of his season, problems he had in his programs, including pressure the pressure he felt at the 2023 World Junior Figure Skating Championships. The 16-year-old, who is coached by Darin Hosier and Corrie Martin, also shares what he loves about skating, his goals for next season, and elements he wants to improve on.

Broussard plans to compete as a junior internationally, unless he gets selected for any Challenger Series events. However, he will compete as a senior at the 2024 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

Kris135

On the Ice
I was waiting for this. He was the wild card. It is time for him to start moving up to senior at least domestically. I think that if the USFS is smart that will at least assign to one Challenger event to get him used to competing as senior man. One big piece of advice to his team please enter in him into one of smaller international events that take place in the late summer like Cranberry Cup as a senior man just so he can his minimums so he does deal with the pressure of having to get them latter let him enjoy his first Challengers events without that pressure being on him. If he makes nationals, and he has very good chance of doing that, the men's field beyond Ilia and Jason is wide open. He may not able to make worlds on his first try but other events like 4CC's are certainly possible for him because he has some quads and the US men's can be so inconsistent. That means that he needs to have the scores before nationals. Because the Challenge Cup in Netherlands will not be an option if he is basically top 5 in the US Nationals because 4CC's happen so soon after US Nationals.. Even if he does make the world team having him basically having to do Challenge Cup, Junior Worlds, and Senior Worlds in about 6 week period is crazy. He will not do his best and that does not help him or his career. I have him as my dark horse to make the 2026 US men's figure skating Olympic team so I want his senior career to start as well as possible so he can have a chance to be there.

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Very enjoyable interview! Such an engaging young man! Does anyone know the interviewer was? Actually, it sounded like there two women interviewing him.
I am glad you are enjoying the interview. I (Judith) did that one together with Tanja Flade. šŸ˜‰
In my opinion he is one of the most promising and talented upcoming young skaters.
I watched several of his practices at Junior Worlds and he was sooooo good. Unfortunatly he couldnā€™t deliver under pressure but he surely has a bright future!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lucas is such a sweet young man, very easy to listen to and interesting answers.

I especially liked learning:

He pronounces his name Luca, no "s", after an unknown soccer player ;)

He was born in Luxembourg because his parents traveled there for work. They lived in Seattle before and they lived in Seattle afterward. His father is French, but although unspecified, I would bet his mother is American. (Not in the interview, but I saw Lucas interviewed at a French JGP in French. It is wonderful that he could get through the interview, but he is not a native speaker)

He loves Bielmann and camel spins. Yes, a men's skater who loves spins(y)

He really likes attending "normal" school and wants to continue doing so (kudos to him)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was waiting for this. He was the wild card. It is time for him to start moving up to senior at least domestically. I think that if the USFS is smart that will at least assign to one Challenger event to get him used to competing as senior man. One big piece of advice to his team please enter in him into one of smaller international events that take place in the late summer like Cranberry Cup as a senior man just so he can his minimums so he does deal with the pressure of having to get them latter let him enjoy his first Challengers events without that pressure being on him. If he makes nationals, and he has very good chance of doing that, the men's field beyond Ilia and Jason is wide open. He may not able to make worlds on his first try but other events like 4CC's are certainly possible for him because he has some quads and the US men's can be so inconsistent. That means that he needs to have the scores before nationals. Because the Challenge Cup in Netherlands will not be an option if he is basically top 5 in the US Nationals because 4CC's happen so soon after US Nationals.. Even if he does make the world team having him basically having to do Challenge Cup, Junior Worlds, and Senior Worlds in about 6 week period is crazy. He will not do his best and that does not help him or his career. I have him as my dark horse to make the 2026 US men's figure skating Olympic team so I want his senior career to start as well as possible so he can have a chance to be there.
Absolutely the USFS needs to make sure he gets his minimums to compete so he can compete later on at 4CC or even Worlds especially with there being no one after Ilia who's a sure thing for the podium if Jason doesn't compete next year. If Lucas get a consistent quad and with his always high PCS he can beat any other US man not named Ilia or Jason. The other US men are wildly inconsistent.

mrrice

Record Breaker
What a nice interview!

He is a lovely skater, and I hope he is careful with his back. I want to watch him skate for many years.
He sure is. We all know how much I love good posture, and this young man has beautiful posture. I was truly shocked to see how small he was when he sat down with his coaches. He reminds me of Joshua Farris. I hope he can get past these injuries and continue skating as long as it makes him happy. Joshua having to stop before, IMO, he was truly done with skating still sits with me. I'll be cheering for you young man.

Last edited: