Alexander Petrov | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Alexander Petrov

adelia

Record Breaker
So... did he get programs? :confused: Or did Stephane just, I dunno... share quad/spin advice?
Apparently Mishin did some coaching for Swiss skaters, so maybe Sasha went there to do demonstrations? Or maybe Mishin just had an extra bed in the chalet that they rented... or maybe he went there to help Liza carry her shopping. I have no idea. And noone who knows is saying anything. :shrug:

adelia

Record Breaker
Russian National team for 2015-2016:
Men's figure skating: Sergei Voronov, Artur Gachinski, Gordei Gorshkov, Moris Kvitelashvili, Maxim Kovtun, Murad Kurbanov, Andrei Lazukin, Konstantin Menshov, Adyan Pitkeev, Evgeni Plushenko, Anton Shulepov.

Remember some weeks ago I said I had a bad feeling that Lazukin would be allowed to move up to seniors and Sasha might be held back? Well, it looks like it's happened. Never underestimate how messed up this federation is.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Russian National team for 2015-2016:
Men's figure skating: Sergei Voronov, Artur Gachinski, Gordei Gorshkov, Moris Kvitelashvili, Maxim Kovtun, Murad Kurbanov, Andrei Lazukin, Konstantin Menshov, Adyan Pitkeev, Evgeni Plushenko, Anton Shulepov.

Remember some weeks ago I said I had a bad feeling that Lazukin would be allowed to move up to seniors and Sasha might be held back? Well, it looks like it's happened. Never underestimate how messed up this federation is.

Why????? I don't understand?

adelia

Record Breaker
Why????? I don't understand?
Not only Lazukin but Kurbanov too. Neither of them have aged out yet although they are both older than Sasha. I guess according to Rus Fed's logic "older" is a good enough reason for them to be promoted to seniors.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Not only Lazukin but Kurbanov too. Neither of them have aged out yet although they are both older than Sasha. I guess according to Rus Fed's logic "older" is a good enough reason for them to be promoted to seniors.

Maybe they want Petrov to get a Junior World Medal so he can go to seniors with that kind of good reputation.

With Shoma and Boyang in Seniors next season, it can be Petrov, Sota and maybe Nathan on the junior podiums, that is if Nathan is still a Junior.

adelia

Record Breaker
Maybe they want Petrov to get a Junior World Medal so he can go to seniors with that kind of good reputation.

With Shoma and Boyang in Seniors next season, it can be Petrov, Sota and maybe Nathan on the junior podiums, that is if Nathan is still a Junior.
He can still skate in Junior Worlds as a senior. You don't have to be a junior to skate in JWs. As long as you're not on the senior Worlds team and you're age eligible, you can skate in JWs. Junior Worlds is not a factor in holding him back.

paulusfr

On the Ice
Most likely he will be in the junior team. Mishin knows that without a stable quad he will not get enough rating points (and money of course) in the Senior Grand Prix. He is still young, one year younger than Pitkeev. I think everything is still ahead of him.

adelia

Record Breaker
Most likely he will be in the junior team. Mishin knows that without a stable quad he will not get enough rating points (and money of course) in the Senior Grand Prix. He is still young, one year younger than Pitkeev. I think everything is still ahead of him.
And Lazukin has a stable quad. Oh wait.

paulusfr

On the Ice
And Lazukin has a stable quad. Oh wait.

Well, Mishin knows the situation better than we do. Lazukin has done a quad several times. And he is 1,5 year older than Sasha.
Actually the logic is very simple. I think they are just afraid to get a similar situation to Pitkeev.

adelia

Record Breaker
Well, Mishin knows the situation better than we do. Lazukin has done a quad several times. And he is 1,5 year older than Sasha.
Actually the logic is very simple. I think they are just afraid to get a similar situation to Pitkeev.
Yes, he has attempted a quad a few times but only landed it once. His 3A is also not stable. So what is left is just "older".
Afraid to get a similar situation to Pitkeev? So let's promote 2 weaker juniors and hold the stronger one back? Yes, that's logical.

What I do suspect this is about is securing those JGPF spots. Probably the same reason why Sima is held back too.

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
Perhaps the 9th place at Nationals cost Sasha a spot on the senior team. But the situation with Kurbanov and Lazukin still baffles me. If it's because of difficult jumps, then neither of the two has a half-decent quad (and Kurbanov has no 3A). By competition results, Sasha has signifcantly better results both domestically and internationally even with nagging health problems in the second half of last season. The comparison of scoring potential isn't in favor of the two older juniors, either. Sorry I don't understand RusFed's logic.
And a similar situation to Pitkeev's is nothing to be afraid of. Not so brilliant, but by moving to seniors, Adyan lost nothing but perhaps a non-gold JGPF medal which will be irrelevant in the long term anyway. Would he have earned a medal at nationals and a ticket to Euros had he stayed junior?

BTW, every year RusFed would publish detailed information of national team members (senior team and junior teams for different age groups), including each member's competition results that meet the criteria for selection as well as other special reasons for inclusion (eg. "by recommendation of the Coaches' Committee"). We'll find out more there.

LRK

Record Breaker
He can still skate in Junior Worlds as a senior. You don't have to be a junior to skate in JWs. As long as you're not on the senior Worlds team and you're age eligible, you can skate in JWs. Junior Worlds is not a factor in holding him back.

Actually, I don't follow juniors, but... didn't Seguin/Bilodeau skate at both junior and senior Worlds'? Which would mean that, theoretically, one can do both? (Unlikely to happen with Russian men, but anyway.)

adelia

Record Breaker
Actually, I don't follow juniors, but... didn't Seguin/Bilodeau skate at both junior and senior Worlds'? Which would mean that, theoretically, one can do both? (Unlikely to happen with Russian men, but anyway.)
Do the same rules apply for singles and ice dance though? Not sure.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Do the same rules apply for singles and ice dance though? Not sure.

LRK's point is valid for singles as well.

Nam Nguyen competed at both Junior Worlds and (Senior) Worlds in 2014.

(I think the lack of restriction is the same for all four disciplines?)

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Nothing against Sasha, but I can't see him making the senior worlds team this season when there are only 2 spots and 4-5 capable seniors already. I am not surprised at all by the RusFed's decision, not because I don't think Petrov can hold his own in seniors, but because I know how they operate. And compared to some of the stuff they've done to my other favorite skaters...this is nothing. Sasha will be fine.

adelia

Record Breaker
A couple posters on the other forum have said that you don't necessarily have to be named on the senior national team to be assigned GPs. So we shall what happens I guess...