Alissa not aspiring to win? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alissa not aspiring to win?

In television interviews at Nationals, Alissa said at least twice that she was approaching her performances as entertaining the audience rather than as a competition. I agree with Attyfan that this is her way of psyching herself up and getting in her sweet zone mentally.

If nerves are her problem, maybe she feels that it would help if she could hypnotize herself into a calmer approach -- sort of a, "forget all the pressure, just go out there and skate" kind of mind set. (Easier said than done.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well I think after a while Alyssa discovered that she really has nothing to lose. I take it that throughout her career she'll continue these rather erratic performances, getting "lucky" from time to time. JMHO- the best thing for her is to do what she can to take the pressure off. If it means skating for the audience, so be it- worked for her at Nats. She needs to find a way to do the same at worlds because at her best she really is top 10 material.

Funny thing though is, she actually had a decent outside shot at getting on the 2006 team. Who knows how the climate will change by 2010.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Its funny because for me when a true contender who believes they can win says : I want to skate my best - I take that to mean "I wanna win!" ala Michelle, Irina, Johnny, Kimmie, even Sarah...

When those hovering around the podium says: I want to skate my best - I take that to mean: I want to skate to the best of my ability and let the chips fall where they may... Alissa falls into this catergory. I simply don't see that killer instinct in her skating... And I'm not sure if confidence alone is enough for someone who has such shady technique.

Granted, it would be easier if all were more Tara & Sasha like... I wanna win and I'm gonna win... there's some joy in the arrogance... ;)

Its better to be disappointed than complacent, I believe.

gio

Medalist
Alissa is an artistic skater. She sells the programs to the public. Now that I discovered her I really like her. To me she is the best USA has now. :love: :love:

Bebe even more than Emily is the quintessential "TA-DA look what I can do gal." :love:

As for Alissa, I don't know whether she herself has the attitude that "it's not the destination, it's the journey," -- but I do. Her greatest performance of all time was at the outdoor Christmas tree lighting ceremony in downtown Detroit this year. No jumps, but OH, MY!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I say this over and over again, she has that special something when she's performing. She'd do much better in the pros where she can really go all out and not worry about jumps. I mean, that COR performance was heart-breaking.

ArwenIcePrincess

Rinkside
I say this over and over again, she has that special something when she's performing. She'd do much better in the pros where she can really go all out and not worry about jumps. I mean, that COR performance was heart-breaking.

I think she needs results and TV airtime to guarentee her a fan following that will enable her to have a meaningful pro career, though. I doubt Angela Nikodinov will have a long run with Stars on Ice, even though she's a really lovely skater with a heartrending story- most casual fans don't know who she is.

R.D.

Record Breaker
True, but by being great and by getting the exposure you GAIN (or EARN) those casual fans. I understand what you're saying though and I partially agree. But US bronze medalist is no small feat, IMO

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Proof that different people get different meanings out of the same expression. :cool:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
as much as It pains me to say it, I don't think alissa will be sakting competivly in 2010. she seems like a well rounded girl and will have graudated college by then and will probably want to focus on a career. She is a beautiful skater and really seems to love what she is doing, but She dosen't have the drive or the intestity to be consistant enough to be a champion. I hope that we get to see her win at least a world medal and a natioanl titile before she stops skating though.

Linny

Final Flight
not for the casual fan

Just because a casual fan doesn't know your name doesn't mean you can't have a successful career post-eligible skating. Look at Yuka Sato.
Linny

Bridget

Rinkside
I have heard from people close to Alissa and her coaches that it isn't wonky technique, it's totally nerves. She does jumps absolutely differently in practice. The "bad technique" posts are incorrect-according to these people whom I have no reason to distrust. (Are you lurking here my friends?)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I have heard from people close to Alissa and her coaches that it isn't wonky technique, it's totally nerves. She does jumps absolutely differently in practice. The "bad technique" posts are incorrect-according to these people whom I have no reason to distrust. (Are you lurking here my friends?)

Now, that's sad to hear... when its technique, then there is a fix to the problem... when its nerves, its hit or miss... has Alissa talked with a sports pych dr.?

Just because a casual fan doesn't know your name doesn't mean you can't have a successful career post-eligible skating. Look at Yuka Sato.
Linny

Yuka Sato was a world champ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes but the casual fan didn't know who Yuka was

my family didn't know who she was when we saw her skate live (my dad *thought* he knew, but he had her confused with Lu Chen lol) in 1999... and back then I wasn't as rabid a fan as I am now lol