Alissa not aspiring to win? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Alissa not aspiring to win?

mkdream

Rinkside
If Alissa could skate her best, minus nerves, she could snatch Olympic gold in Vancouver! I believe I'm only one of many who is convinced she has the skating artistry and skills to do so! She has recently made two small steps toward that achivement: Her National bronze (by winning the FP) and her recent bronze at 4C's. Now, if she could make top 5 at upcoming World's, followed-up with similar success in 2008 and then cap it off with a medal at World's 2009 in LA, who knows?

I agree!! Alissa could easily challenge for the gold medal if she skates all out. When and if she gets those jumps down she will be unbeatable. Take it to the bank.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
As a Sasha fan, I can tell you that's a VERY big "if." :cry:

Maybe not. Under this system, people can make mistakes and still win (in Alissa's case). I mean, my favourite Sasha skate was her Torino FP minus the first minute.

Agree (and so did the judges), but WINS are still rare.

Anyway she has more work to do than Sasha bec her jump problems - in competition at least - are (even) bigger.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
But the mistakes she is making are on point getting jumps, she has 2s when others have 3s in some cases. So screwing up a 2 gets you a 1 and screwing up a 3 still gets you a 2. JMO but she is going to need 8.0s in GoE and +3 in spins and spiral to make up for it. And still question if that could be enough with good skates from the others.

Hows her footwork???

R.D.

Record Breaker
are folks counting their chickens before they're hatched?

Take a second look at the field and how they've been doing. Then, if it's truly nerves that are affecting Alyssa this is her first trip to the World championships. I'd be really surprised if this is one of those comps where "she gets lucky".

Sylvia

Record Breaker
She [Alissa] has recently made two small steps toward that achivement: Her National bronze (by winning the FP) and her recent bronze at 4C's.
Sorry to be picky ;) but Alissa Czisny placed 5th at 4 Continents. Regardless, I hope her first Worlds experience will be a positive one! :)

SeaniBu, Alissa has been receiving level 4 for her spiral sequences and level 3 for her straightline footwork sequences this season.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
SeaniBu, Alissa has been receiving level 4 for her spiral sequences and level 3 for her straightline footwork sequences this season.

Thanks for that info, I didn't know - assumed 4s on SSQ and even the +3s on spins - but the answer to the Steps doesn't surprise me, but I would assume L4 is necessary on StepSq and 8.0s on skating skills, foot work, pres and chori are going to be necessary to get her on the podium at worlds. Unless others are having bad days.

I am just trying to keep expectations in check. I keep getting burned by my heart this season. Although I am behind her and would love to see it, I don't believe it is going to happen. I have enough of quietly crossing my fingers for skaters to do their best ever this year, even when it means one of my other faves has to step down. Like Katy T and Flirth. Loved the skates, but I burned myself with to high of hopes.