Alysa Liu Retires | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu Retires

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Alysa Liu has announced their retirement today on Instagram.

Earlier, it was reported that this was announced on IG Live, but now we have an official post.

All the best to Alysa in the future!

Fluture

Record Breaker
All the best to her! I'm really sad, though, she was so young and I feel she could have grown much more, especially artistically. But if this is is it for her, I'm glad she has her World Bronze and got to perform at the Olympics. Still, it's really bittersweet …:cry:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well that really sucks. Alysa really had a lot more to offer and probably could have continued to dominate US ladies for the next few years but now even without the Russians it's going to be hard for the US ladies to stay relevant unless someone like Bradie comes back and some of the younger skaters get experience.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I wish her all the best in her future endeavours. :) I think it's hard to understand for outsiders what a huge commitment sports at this high level is, and how much time and energy it takes from a person. It's admirable that she's so young and already knows that she doesn't want more of this, but that there are other things in life. She's the one who has to live that life, so good for her!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am surprised by the news, as Alysa just seemed to be growing into her own as a skater, and seemed content at the Olympics.

But most importantly, Alysa needs to do what makes her happy. All the best to her in the future!

macy

Record Breaker
Very sad to hear this. She has accomplished a lot in a short time and checked off her goals but I really wish we had the opportunity to see her blossom into a mature woman on the ice. Bittersweet for sure. Nonetheless I wish her the best, congratulations on a great career and I hope we will see her in shows.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Not totally unexpected, but so sad cause it feels like she just started. But what's most important is her happiness, so I wish her the best in her future endeavors. I sure will miss her skating though - incredible consistency, great spins and most of all joyful skating.

liv

Record Breaker
The Olympics, then a World medal, going touring in Japan... an exciting year, I think.

She could have continued and done well in the future too, but she knows what it's taken to get here and what more it could take to continue....she seems happy with her achievements and that's all you can hope for in life. All the best to her.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Although I am kind of used to seeing very young OG gold medalists retire due to injuries and lack of motivation, this sudden retirement after a WC breakthrough took me by surprise. I still feel like Alysa could be a medalist at the next OG. But it's her life, and if she feels she doesn't want to continue, I wish her the best in the future. Like @MaiKatze says, it's hard to imagine for a fan what sacrifice it takes to be, and remain, an elite skater.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm happy for her actually, she seems totally at peace with her career and what she's achieved and happy to retire and I wish her well going forward. Of course there is a feeling I'd have liked to see what else she would do but honestly I still feel that way about a lot of skaters who retired much later in their careers that's just how it is when you like a skater I think. The best to her!

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
This really sucks because I still think she has a lot to offer the sport. It seems like the hits just keep coming for U.S. figure skating regarding pairs and ladies.

Reactions: snd

mrrice

Record Breaker
I realize this might be a surprise to some but, she's been at this a long time. If your goal as a skater is to be National Champion, An Olympian, and a World Medalist, she has "Climbed Those Mountains" as they say. Maybe she has some new projects coming up and wants to focus on those. Plus, she's still so young that she may come back after she's spent some time focusing on her off-ice life. The US Ladies are in good shape with Isabeau, Lindsay, Kate Wang, and other ladies waiting in the wings.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
I was shocked and saddened by this news. While I respect that she feels that she attained her goals, I do feel as though she hasn't attained her peak as a figure skater. WHo knows, she may re-evaluate at some point.... An Olympic year is long for skaters (and other athletes). If she decided to continue her retirement, I wish her the best in her endeavors . I'm sure she'll find success with whatever she decides.

Erin9

On the Ice
Wow. I wasn’t expecting this. It seemed like she was just getting started. She’s such a lovely skater. But, given that she’s been a National Champion, Olympian and a World medalist, that’s certainly a nice list of accomplishments. And she’s retiring on a career high.

Good luck to her going forward!

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I think this was a long time coming.

She was pushed to continue by her parents (and moved around the country - away from the coaches that she was connected to, away from the friends she was making etc.)

I wish Alysa the best in the future.