Alysa Liu Retires | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu Retires

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, I remember Trusova having reportedly said that, in the heat of her disappointment over how her Olympic FS had gone. I don’t remember Alysa Liu ever having said it. I remember comments more in the vein of skating not defining her and not wanting to talk about skating.

But even if Alysa did say that, like you I wouldn’t take that comment from a teenager to have any profound significance. As indicated above, both Alysa and Trusova actually have been on the ice since the Olympics.
Normally I wouldn't, but everything else she's said she meant. She's a very self-possessed young lady and very mature for her age.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think she was the only skater who achieved the tier 2 qualification for earning a high score at an international event, as well as having the highest scores at GP events. On what basis do you feel Karen and Mariah had equally strong seasons?

Well Mariah had the highest total score at a GP Event for the US ladies which is interesting considering Alysa had a triple axel and Mariah didn't compete a triple-triple in the GP. None of them particularly had strong seasons leading up to the Olympics, yes Alysa was abl. And remember after her last GP she abruptly changed coaches, moved, and got covid so going into the Olympics it was a question mark on what she'd look like, now yes she was able to successfully petition on that was probably more to do with her being questionable being more promising than the alternate for the Olympics < while maybe her coaching team twisted it up to motivate her to kick tail in the individual event; her not being selected was hardly some big slight that should have deflated her.

Imagine

Medalist
Good for her. Whatever, there’s more to life than this sport. She’s had an unlucky career, basically being touted as our answer to the Russian worldbeaters, but never quite living up to that. The pressure must have been immense. Then she got sick, and that must have been traumatizing too with the whole test negative or your Olympic dreams die situation. She was probably disillusioned by the whole 2022 Fauxlympic experience, which made her reconsider if any of this is even worth it. Hopefully she made bank with her sponsorships and can move onto a brighter future.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I highly doubt that Alysa considered her experience to be “Fauxlympics” and I find that somewhat insulting to the many skaters who worked so hard to achieve that goal.

I honestly don’t believe, from what little I have seen of Alysa’s reactions and reading her interviews, that she held herself to any goal other than to skate her best, and that she certainly did not feel any pressure to be a world beater. I do think fans and maybe even the USFS touted that, but I saw no indication that she bought it.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: my opinion is that Alysa chose not to participate in the team event. That Alysa did not in any way shape or form feel put upon or passed over by the USFS.

Alysa has her own reasons for doing what she is doing, and her own reasons for not doing it. Her comments about not injuring herself for quads are so mature and quite commendable. Good for her in whatever she chooses to do.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well Mariah had the highest total score at a GP Event for the US ladies which is interesting considering Alysa had a triple axel and Mariah didn't compete a triple-triple in the GP. None of them particularly had strong seasons leading up to the Olympics, yes Alysa was abl. And remember after her last GP she abruptly changed coaches, moved, and got covid so going into the Olympics it was a question mark on what she'd look like, now yes she was able to successfully petition on that was probably more to do with her being questionable being more promising than the alternate for the Olympics < while maybe her coaching team twisted it up to motivate her to kick tail in the individual event; her not being selected was hardly some big slight that should have deflated her.
Anyone would be deflated not getting selected for a guaranteed Olympic medal. You're sort of cherry picking things here to make it seem like Alysa didn't unquestionably have the strongest season of the US women. Vincent beat Nathan at SA but no one here would say that result should have made it a toss up if one had to be picked. Also, it's not as if Alysa was up against a skater like Kamila for that spot; Karen did nothing prior to, or after, the Olympics last season to indicate her team performance would have gone any differently than it did. It's really BS to suggest something like a coaching change or moving validates the USFSA's decision.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone would be deflated not getting selected for a guaranteed Olympic medal. You're sort of cherry picking things here to make it seem like Alysa didn't unquestionably have the strongest season of the US women. Vincent beat Nathan at SA but no one here would say that result should have made it a toss up if one had to be picked. Also, it's not as if Alysa was up against a skater like Kamila for that spot; Karen did nothing prior to, or after, the Olympics last season to indicate her team performance would have gone any differently than it did. It's really BS to suggest something like a coaching change or moving validates the USFSA's decision.

Again, we are at the same issue:

How do we know that the selection was not Alysa's choice?

If it was her choice, then do we agree that she would not be deflated?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Again, we are at the same issue:

How do we know that the selection was not Alysa's choice?

If it was her choice, then do we agree that she would not be deflated?
Obviously someone would not be deflated by not doing something they chose not to do.

Do we agree Alysa should have been chosen if she were interested in the team event? Or do you also feel like moving is disqualifying?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Obviously someone would not be deflated by not doing something they chose not to do.

Do we agree Alysa should have been chosen if she were interested in the team event? Or do you also feel like moving is disqualifying?

I do agree that if Alysa wanted to skate the Team Event, she should have been chosen (absent some factor that is not public knowledge). In fact, that is one of the reasons I find it hard to believe that it was not her decision.

But that is complete speculation on my part, and I don't know if we will ever know.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
In fact, that is one of the reasons I find it hard to believe that it was not her decision.
The reason I don't think it was her decision is that Mariah was also interested in the team event and was not selected despite being the national champion and having superior scores last season compared to Karen. Yes, Mariah later caught covid but IIRC Karen seemed to indicate the team event decision was made right after nationals (so, before Mariah became ill). Alysa was likely sick when the decision was made, which would have been understandable if the team event was about to happen but the Olympics were over a month away.