Anna Yanovskaya & Sergey Mozgov | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Anna Yanovskaya & Sergey Mozgov

The Finn

Record Breaker
Do you know if they will be at YOG or is their season finished?

They aren't eligible for YOG which isn't surprising since they won this competition back in 2012. Anyway, they are eligible for Junior Worlds. Russia might name them as 2nd or 3rd substitute I guess. It is unlikely that they would be sent though.

Irina89

On the Ice
I really hoped they will change coaches...but, oh well, it's their choice. I hope it's the right one.

adelia

Record Breaker
I really hoped they will change coaches...but, oh well, it's their choice. I hope it's the right one.
Changing coaches is a tricky thing. The next coach has to be an upgrade from the current one. So if there are no openings at better coaching groups in Russia, they have no choice but to stay. Anyway, we shall what happens. They're still relatively young.

katha

On the Ice
Where could they go in Russia? Svinin/Zhuk have S/B and I personally don't care for the retro/80ies aesthetic coming out of that camp (already present with Khokhlova/Novitski), but their skaters always seem polished. And they wouldn't be number one in the group, but they aren't first with Kustarova either. Rubleva and Shefer have gone into coaching and are doing well, I've heard. Might they be an option? Zhulin is too crowded IMO.

But it's always difficult to say what's the best option from the outside. The injury also contributed to their struggles and surely Kustarova knows that she didn't exactly cover herself with glory this season with them and with I/Z and wants to fight back on that... So perhaps staying and retooling things is also a good option? The only thing that concerns me with Kustarova is that she's a good junior coach or a coach when you're starting out but then has trouble transitioning the pairs into the top seniors league. That's shown itself to be a bit of a pattern. BobSol had success at Euros but couldn't get a breakthrough at Worlds until they moved to Zhulin and IMO they significantly improved under him. Both B/S and S/Z for me did not always have optimal packaging, music choices that didn't suit them that much and drab, heavy costuming for the ladies in particular. Both Bobrova and Sinitsina now are dressed in ways that flatter them, IMO they weren't with Kustarova. The same costume issues are cropping up with Y/M and I/Z now. It's a superficial thing, but it contributes to the overall impression. So Idk.

ETA: Oh, I didn't know that they made their own decisions there. Anyway, both pairs could have done better on that front IMO. And since for me it harkens back to S/Z and B/S as well, somehow somewhere Kustarova is also playing a part in that.

Last edited:

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Don't Ilinykh and Yanovskaya control their styling decisions? Yanovskaya said it's her sister, who is a wannabe model of some type, who makes the decision on her costumes. And it's not like Ilinykh has always had impeccable taste. I mean, the hippy look for the polka comes to mind.

Irina89

On the Ice
If they had enough money I would say Igor or maybe Krilova, but if the plan is to stay in Russia, then...

Irina89

On the Ice
Do you have any new information on them? I was reading on various sites that they are on the verge of separating? Is her injury that bad, are there personal problems between them?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Do you have any new information on them? I was reading on various sites that they are on the verge of separating? Is her injury that bad, are there personal problems between them?

I've heard these rumors too. In the ones I've heard basically her injury is so bad it's career ending and she wouldn't skate any more. I haven't heard anything that I'd consider confirmation yet though.

Irina89

On the Ice
So sad....had such high hopes for them. I guess if she's done, he's also pretty much done. Such a pity that Russia does not have any good girls in dance, at least available ones :(

Mattieu

Medalist
So sad....had such high hopes for them. I guess if she's done, he's also pretty much done. Such a pity that Russia does not have any good girls in dance, at least available ones :(

I don't get it, why are there so few good girls in Russia?

NC89

Rinkside
Couple, unfortunately, has just splitted.
Sergey Mozgov will continue to dance with Betina Popova.
Anna is in search for new partner.

Last edited:

bsfan

On the Ice
I don't understand why the split. Betina Popova doesn't have the lines and elegance as Anna.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I don't understand why the split. Betina Popova doesn't have the lines and elegance as Anna.

While Anna doesn't have expressiveness and charisma Popova has.
Both have weaknesses tbh

I personally will wait for other side of the story.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
They were a good couple. I liked them in their last Juniors season probably more than any junior team ever. That tango was fantastic.

It's a shame what's happened is happened. Don't jump to conclusions yet, don't scream 'betrayal'.