Another Bolero?? (Liashenko) | Golden Skate

Another Bolero?? (Liashenko)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Another Bolero?????

I haven't heard a snippet of music or *watched* a single move so far with SA. But I am soaking it up scoring wise on IceCalc, and desparate for all other rinkside reports.

Did I just see on IceCalc that Elena Liashenko skated to Bolero in her short program??? (of course we won't get to hear or see that until world's most likely).

Now Bolero was certainly a controversial music choice for Michelle. But if anyone can pull it off, she certainly can. But Elena???? I love the fact that she's hung in there with decent placements for a long time. But HUH???????

Anyone else have comments or thoughts on this? I'm not trying to be critical, just wondering about this choice for HER.

DG

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Before MK chose Bolero this season, who was the last skater(s) to choose that song, and when did he/she/they choose it?

Personally I don't see Bolero as a skating piece. If anyone has a shot of pulling it off, like you said, I think it would be MK; I believe she would have the emotional appeal to sell the song. However IMO she would have to be at her absolute best and have one of those "let it all go" moments (U.S. nationals anyone?) to really pull it off.

I thought her Bolero program at Campbell's was kind of :indiff: For anyone else IMO it would be a :disapp: . Odd choice of song for anyone...

Just my thoughts.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
ITA Red Dog...

Do you know for sure if that's what Elena skated to at SA in the short? It said so in her bio, but I don't necessarily trust that 100%. If so, I am really surprised at that choice on her part.

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Do you know for sure if that's what Elena skated to at SA in the short? It said so in her bio, but I don't necessarily trust that 100%. If so, I am really surprised at that choice on her part.

DG

I'm not sure, since I'm going unspoiled for this SA ladies event, I suppose we'll find out tomorrow (if it'll be televised...?) If it says so in her official bio, however, I would trust it. And yes, what a choice that would be!

gezando

Final Flight
Lisashenko did well with her tango program last year or was it the year before, why wouldn't she do well with Bolero?

I am not too excited with Bolero as a choice for any skater, but it sure beats the sedated nutcracker as a choice for a solo skater.

Last edited:

MichelleWingKwan

Match Penalty
Elena Liashenko Skating to Bolero???

Horrible choice for her. I so this her short program in SA and it was horrible :rock:. It is a very bad choice.

cheekers85

Rinkside
Boleros

I have no other place to put this. So I am just going to add I watched Michelle's Bolero again two days ago, and it was fun. I was dissapointed she tripped on that footwork cuase that baby would have bought down the darn house if she didn't, and had s-t-r-a-i-g-h-t sixes. Sometimes I think she gets "mailing it in" perfect scores. Six as in above the rest, but not a classic performance. (but granted the bar is pretty high for her) But anyway that time... oh boy. Darn it for that because I seriously think that would have been one of the major classics right there and I would have had it on tape for the first time in SP. :biggrin:
On Liashenko- I suppose any skater can do it. Who really cares, I think. But for practical reasons, it would be hard to do music like that the same season someone else is doing it, and (honestly) doing it a heck of a lot better. It's not so smart cuase you would suffer by direct comparison.

Last edited:
cheekers85 said:
I have no other place to put this. So I am just going to add I watched Michelle's Bolero again two days ago, and it was fun. I was dissapointed she tripped on that footwork cause that baby would have bought down the darn house if she didn't, and had s-t-r-a-i-g-h-t sixes.
ITA. That was an astonishing performance. :love:

About the fall on the footwork, when I saw clips posted on the web which were shot from the side or behind, it looked like she just bounced down and then back up. But the ABC shot, with her coming straight into the camera, gave us a good look at the slipped edge. I am almost glad that I got to see it, because it showed up close just how fast she was skating and how intricate the turns and steps were. I can see now that it is not just the jump landings that are full of peril for a skater who is going all out.

I also thought she made a noticable error on her second spiral position (the fan spiral), maybe lost her edge or something. It looked like she just barely got into position and then bailed too soon.

So I would have to give the overall performance a 6.0, rather than the usual 6.1, LOL. The jumps were perfect and the choreography very promising, especially at the beginning. :love:

Mathman

gkelly

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Before MK chose Bolero this season, who was the last skater(s) to choose that song, and when did he/she/they choose it?

Morgan Matthews and Maxim Zavozin, 2004 (and 2003) US junior champions and 2004 junior world bronze medalists, used it for their free dance last season.

Before that, I believe Navka and Kostamarov (free dance) and Evgeny Plyushenko (short program) are the most recent skaters to use it the elite senior level, within the last three years or so.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
N/K used Bolero? When? An yes, Plushenko win his first World title with Bolero as SP. Alexander Abt also used it for his LP in the 2002/2003 season and he skated it in Skate America. I think there's another up and coming American lady who used it last year for her SP (Yebin Mok?) and is using it again this season. I'm sure there's plenty of less known skaters who have used it, this is a well known and classic piece of music. It's not like suddenly everyone decided to use Bolero...

Let's face it. It joins all the other skating warhorses: Carmen, Warsaw Concerto, Swan Lake, Die Fledermaus, Malaguena, Broadway Tunes, Movie background music, All Versions of R&J. And why not? :yes:

Maybe someday, a skater will use music never before skated to. đź‘Ť

Joe

gkelly

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
N/K used Bolero? When?

OK, I checked, it was 1999, so more than 3 years ago, before their split for her pregnancy and their subsequent reunion.

cheekers85

Rinkside
Mathman said:
ITA. That was an astonishing performance. :love:

About the fall on the footwork, when I saw clips posted on the web which were shot from the side or behind, it looked like she just bounced down and then back up. But the ABC shot, with her coming straight into the camera, gave us a good look at the slipped edge. I am almost glad that I got to see it, because it showed up close just how fast she was skating and how intricate the turns and steps were. I can see now that it is not just the jump landings that are full of peril for a skater who is going all out.

I also thought she made a noticable error on her second spiral position (the fan spiral), maybe lost her edge or something. It looked like she just barely got into position and then bailed too soon.

So I would have to give the overall performance a 6.0, rather than the usual 6.1, LOL. The jumps were perfect and the choreography very promising, especially at the beginning. :love:

Mathman
:rock:
I agree I was blown away by the speed that time. I think she was really on an emotional high. It seems like she can push it more when she is really emotional and feeling loose. :)
I didn't notice the spiral error. But probally becuase I was drawn into the program. I'll check the tape to see if I catch it this time. I agree about the huge amount of promise of this chreography. I found that striking in this first event. I this it is really going to suprise us again. I liked the beggining of this program the best so far and the placement of the loop combination jump and spirals. :cool: