Match Penalty
Sakhanovich is anything but Tatar-sounding. :D
Zhiganshin is a Tatar surname, though.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure I agree Tuktamyshev(а) is an Udmurt name. as I say, it does sound Turkic, not Finno-Ugric. and Udmurts, being Christians, actually have family names which do not differ much from Russian names. Peredernin, Korepanov, Lagunov, Kalashnikov and the like.
Does it really matter? If it comes to ethnicity, Liza Tuktamysheva is very unlikely to speak any other language but Russian - so let's call her Russian and be done with it.

Elizaveta is very Russian ;)

I actually typed" Tuktamysheva Ethnic " and Google took me to that post. I just love finding a classic SkyFly_20 post and wanted to share. Not trying to upset anyone either....I'm just extremely fascinated with all things Russian. I bug my Russian coaches all the time about this stuff. :slink:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
A little bit off-top, but does ethnicity really matter? Because, if that's the case, there is no 100% Russian russian nowadays, if you know what I mean. Tatar, finno-ugric...This nation is a big mix of it all, taking in consideration history of Russia:) And even taking me, with typical Russian russian surname and name, I'm not so sure that I don't have tatars/jews/pick whaterever people you want as ancestors.:yes:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Elizaveta is very Russian ;)

I actually typed" Tuktamysheva Ethnic " and Google took me to that post. I just love finding a classic SkyFly_20 post and wanted to share. Not trying to upset anyone either....I'm just extremely fascinated with all things Russian. I bug my Russian coaches all the time about this stuff. :slink:

It's OK. The problem is that no one really knows. We're a lovely mixture of different ethnic groups. Well, I'm a hundred per cent Tatar, but my Tatar brother is married to a girl, who is half Ukrainian, quarter Mordva, quarter Russian or anything else in that bag. So his daughter is just Russian - despite having a Tatar sounding surname, name and a patronymic.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Not sure I agree Tuktamyshev(а) is an Udmurt name. as I say, it does sound Turkic, not Finno-Ugric. and Udmurts, being Christians, actually have family names which do not differ much from Russian names. Peredernin, Korepanov, Lagunov, Kalashnikov and the like.
Does it really matter? If it comes to ethnicity, Liza Tuktamysheva is very unlikely to speak any other language but Russian - so let's call her Russian and be done with it.

Some people have an interest in the etymology of words, including names. So yeah I do think it matters a little and is interesting.

However, where a name comes from, and its linguistic etymology, does not equal ethnicity in my eyes. I used my step-father's last name for a long time growing up. That did not make me ethically the same as him, but if someone asked about the name I was always happy to tell them where it came from as best i could. I assure you if i were a skater that would have been the name i used.

I think people can talk about where a name comes from without it being being about ethnicity. We really should be past the point of assuming name=ethnicity by now.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Why would an in-depth discussion on something every single girl in Earth goes through be awkward?

When you have a bunch of adults going into in depth discussions, quoting different sources with different facts (and each arguing how THEIR facts are the actual truth) about the puberty of a teenager when nobody has the actual facts about what exact stage of development she is at, I personally would find it to be awkward, speculative and perhaps a tad intrusive. A brief and general discussion, fine, but the in depth analysis and speculation here - yes, awkward...

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
When you have a bunch of adults going into in depth discussions, quoting different sources with different facts (and each arguing how THEIR facts are the actual truth) about the puberty of a teenager when nobody has the actual facts about what exact stage of development she is at, I personally would find it to be awkward, speculative and perhaps a tad intrusive. A brief and general discussion, fine, but the in depth analysis and speculation here - yes, awkward...
I was involved in the discussion and I thought it was awkward as well. But I didn't speculate about the exact stage of development of Evgenia, I want to make that clear, I just wanted to mentioned that it is very unlikely that she's already gone through puberty. And I stand by that.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I was involved in the discussion and I thought it was awkward as well. But I didn't speculate about the exact stage of development of Evgenia, I want to make that clear, I just wanted to mentioned that it is very unlikely that she's already gone through puberty. And I stand by that.

Fair enough. I don't want to sound like a prude as if it's something that should NEVER be discussed and clearly the subject has great relevance for young skaters, especially the girls, and deserves some discussion. It just seemed to get a little out of hand and personal, for example, I wonder if Medvedeva's stage of puberty would be the subject of such intense and speculative discussion if she were the daughter of somebody on the forum. But no hard feelings!!! Some good points were still raised elsewhere on the thread.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:slink: It is always well to assume the parents of skaters are on the forum, because quite a few are...

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
How many of these obsessive threads picking apart Evgenia do we need here - the Russian women's thread and the other 44-page thread aren't enough? And why do people act like Russia is the only country with "little girls" competing in seniors? Doesn't Satoko have a "childlike" body too? And Karen Chen, and Elisabet Tursynbaeva? What about all those other Russian girls who aren't coached by Eteri and are also quite tiny? I watched the Junior Championship and there were several who were more or less the same size as Evgenia, many who don't even live in Moscow. Is Eteri controlling their weight, too, somehow? I'm surprised nobody has tried to blame her for the Zika virus or El Nino yet!

So many things to take issue with...but it's really not worth it. Some people here are so sure that Evgenia will be a flash in the pan, just like they predicted a lot of other things that didn't happen. We could make a very long list of predictions that never came true.

This isn't real journalism, but a worthless editorial piece from someone whose bias is clear.

But here’s the question, why didn’t any American coach get an idea to put these kind of skaters on an “assembly line”, artificially restraining growth and development of a girl’s organism with the harshest of diets? Now of course this is all personal choice: gold medals in a sport can pay off a lot of sacrifices.

This one is indeed quite over the top and gross. I would not assume that any coach artificially restrains growth of their juniors by limiting food or other vile practices. Either way Medvedeva looks healthy and about her age too.

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
This day and age, doctors can pretty much predict what height and physique a child will reach when grown up. I do believe or at least could very well imagine that highly competitive national sport federations are selecting their future elite based, among many other criteria, on this. Hence it is not too surprising that many top skating girls are tiny and light weight. Look at the boys, many male skaters are below the average height of their peers. I admit, differences in body shape are not quite as extreme as on the female side. It wouldn't rock my world to learn that certain countries apply slightly questionable methods to secure medals (this has been proven in many sports, such as athletics or cycling), but as long as we cannot really proof anything, let's not blame Eteri just because, as a top class coach working with top class talent, she makes an easy target. Innocent until proven guilty.

alskling

On the Ice
Ohh... funny.
Look at Polina Tsurskaya. She is 14 and her height is already 170sm. Right now she is undisputed №1 in juniors.
And her coach is Eteri too.

ps. And look at Evgenia in previous season. She is definitely changed.

This day and age, doctors can pretty much predict what height and physique a child will reach when grown up. I do believe or at least could very well imagine that highly competitive national sport federations are selecting their future elite based, among many other criteria, on this.

I have no doubt that your suspicions are correct, but shame on such sports federations. What's next, genetic engineering?