Any updates on Alissa? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Any updates on Alissa?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
In fact, the chances that anyone in Blades of Passion's top seven will lay down two clean skates is remote. Kim and Asada can -- and probably will -- win even with multiple errors, but the rest will have to skate for it, just like Alissa and Rachael.

Oh, I highly doubt many of the ladies will skate clean. But what I'm saying is those 7 need to mess up more than Rachel or Alissa (significantly more in the case of Kostner, since the Euro judges will always gift her...and a complete meltdown in the case of Asada or Yu-Na) for Rachel and Alissa to get 6th + 7th place at Worlds.

Last edited:

Eurofan

On the Ice
I don't know why you'd use season's best. It would be far better to use a season's average, better yet ignoring any nationals, ...

1. Yu-Na Kim 190.16
2. Mao Asada 180.95
3. Joannie Rochette 179.97
4. Miki Ando 166.49
5. Fumie Suguri 164.55
6. Rachael Flatt 161.54
7. Alissa Czisny 159.26
8. Laura Lepistö 158.72
9. Carolina Kostner 157.46
10. Sarah Meier 147.64
11. Cynthia Phaneuf 147.26
12. Susanna Pöykiö 146.67
13. Aliona Leonova 138.65
14. Elene Gedevanishvili 138.55
15. Júlia Sebestyén 137.90
16. Jenna McCorkell 135.82
17. Elena Glebova 133.74
18. Katarina Gerboldt 130.44
19. Viktoria Helgesson 129.26
20. Candice Didier 128.47
21. Anette Dytrt 125.14
22. Tuğba Karademir 122.87
23. Na-Young Kim 122.41
24. Nella Simaová 112.86

R.D.

Record Breaker
1. Yu-Na Kim 190.16
2. Mao Asada 180.95
3. Joannie Rochette 179.97
4. Miki Ando 166.49
5. Fumie Suguri 164.55
6. Rachael Flatt 161.54
7. Alissa Czisny 159.26

8. Laura Lepistö 158.72
9. Carolina Kostner 157.46
10. Sarah Meier 147.64
11. Cynthia Phaneuf 147.26
12. Susanna Pöykiö 146.67
13. Aliona Leonova 138.65
14. Elene Gedevanishvili 138.55
15. Júlia Sebestyén 137.90
16. Jenna McCorkell 135.82
17. Elena Glebova 133.74
18. Katarina Gerboldt 130.44
19. Viktoria Helgesson 129.26
20. Candice Didier 128.47
21. Anette Dytrt 125.14
22. Tuğba Karademir 122.87
23. Na-Young Kim 122.41
24. Nella Simaová 112.86

Well, well. Looks good doesn't it?

Remember what I've said since 2002: the GP has NEVER been a good indicator as to who will step up at Worlds and who will crumble under the pressure. I mean, all these lists are for fun but as far as actual prediction goes, it just seems to depend on the heat of the moment who will rise or not. I used to think Mao Asada was virtually unbeatable and look what happened this season...suddenly, she's vulnerable. She can still blow everyone away but her consistency has been hurting a bit recently. It looks like it's Yu Na's turn to be the dominating one. I mean, all she has to do is knock the SP and she'll have 75 points automatically. Then she can sleepwalk through the LP and still win by 5 miles. That's the way the new system rolls :yes:

Eurofan

On the Ice
I'm sure Kostner will finish higher than 9th. Her scores improved as the season went on.

I'm sure Kostner will finish higher than 9th. Her scores improved as the season went on.

I think that is an important indicator, too. Cynthia Phaneuf, fo instance, seems to be peaking at the right time.

BTW, Caroline Zhang's season average was 159.52 (GP + 4C's, or 158.31 counting Junior Worlds). Ashley Wagner's was 156.75 (157.15). So all four of the U.S. hopefuls are within a few points of each other on the season.

mjames

Rinkside
I think Alissa has the ability but sometimes I don't think she thinks the same thing! I hope she is working with someone new on her confidence, those same issues keep resurfacing in her skating. She is gorgeous! I love having her face as our National Champion, I wish she looked more confident.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Alissa has the ability but sometimes I don't think she thinks the same thing! I wish she looked more confident.

I agree! Alissa often appears to me looking like the primary victim in a slasher movie. She looks so scared/worried/almost in a daze most of the time due to her insecurity on the jumps.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I agree! Alissa often appears to me looking like the primary victim in a slasher movie. She looks so scared/worried/almost in a daze most of the time due to her insecurity on the jumps.
How do you call it? Deer in the headlights? I think she looks like that, like a cute pretty deer, scared for her life. And then suddenly during the spirals she has this huge smile, that looks just fake to me...

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
How do you call it? Deer in the headlights? I think she looks like that, like a cute pretty deer, scared for her life. And then suddenly during the spirals she has this huge smile, that looks just fake to me...

I don't think he smile is insincere in the spirals...she seems like a pretty happy person when she is not worried about jumps. I can't stand it when skaters suddenly burst out in this smile during the sprials...even when the music does not call for it. Who said that spirals were supposed to be so happy? I don't get it myself. Not to knock anybody, but Yu-na expression in the change of edege spiral during her SP is just so wrong compared with her facial expression during the rest of the program. THAT looks insicnere.

lcd

Match Penalty
I think the vulnerability she has and does show may prove of mixed to questionable benefit to her from a competitive standpoint, but at the same time, is a part of what makes many fans truly embrace and root for her as well. There is an honesty, and open quality to her heart which she shares, and for me, this makes her all the more human, even if it's not 'perfect' from a presentation or sports(person) standpoint.

mjames

Rinkside

I don't think it's fake it's just abrupt. I think the she knows that she does a :bow: spiral seq. and she suddenly feels confident.
I do agree that when nervous people smile it can appear fake, but in her case it looks like relief, that it's a spiral and not another jump!

It's a performance. The smile is part of the act. Take Michelle Kwan. She could pull out that "smiral" at the drop of a hat, all the while no doubt thinking about which Sushi bar she was going to check out after the show. :yes:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
as MM said, Michelle did the smile in every program whether it was called for in the music or not. everyone said it was showing her joy for the sport... but apparently when another girl does it she's either copying MK or she's not truly faking the music...

R.D.

Record Breaker

antmanb

Record Breaker
I remember that. She was all business that night. And still lost the SP.

Was that the The Feeling Begins SP? If it was then i liked the non smiling spiral - the music didn't require one, and i like Kwan's "game" face - it shows a small glimpse into how she must actually feel inside when competing - it's not about the smile!

Also if it was The Feeling Begins, didn't she lose the SP because of a time violation rather than for the actual skating?

Ant

BTW, Caroline Zhang's season average was 159.52 (GP + 4C's, or 158.31 counting Junior Worlds). Ashley Wagner's was 156.75 (157.15). So all four of the U.S. hopefuls are within a few points of each other on the season.
Yes, yes, yes. I've been saying that all along. Different judges at different events beget different Personal Bests.

The Scores at each event should be averaged out for the season., and not just the one standout for the particular skater. They should include the GPs, GP Final, Euros, 4CC, and Worlds. That's a more realistic look at the skater's prowess.