Anybody want to bet that these will be exact medals at next Olympics? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Anybody want to bet that these will be exact medals at next Olympics?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Would anybody like to bet 1000$ these will be the medals at the 2010 Winter Olympics:

Pairs:

Gold-Zhang and Zhang or Pang and Tong
Silver-Pang and Tong or Zhang and Zhang
Bronze-Dube and Davison

Men:

Gold-Lambiel
Silver-Oda
Bronze-Lysacek

Dance:

Gold-Belbin and Agosto
Silver-Moir and Virtue
Bronze-Mathews and Zazovin

Ladies:

Gold-Asada
Silver-Kim
Bronze-Meissner

I would bet the first person who takes up the offer $1000 that those will be the medals at the Olympics four years from now.

I am not a betting person, but I am going to put my money on Moir and Virtue for the Gold in the ice dance discipline.

:thumbsup:

antmanb

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Mathman already offered to keep the money himself in tow until 2010, didnt he?
:biggrin: Anywhere what is the worst thing that would happen, if the person is bluffing nobody pays and you move on, if the person isnt bluffing you make the money if you are so sure you will win the bet(which of course nobody is since my predictions were so excellent obviously). :biggrin:

Given that some of your predictions are "either/or" that's hardly putting your neck on the line, or in fact making any viable prediction since you have two skaters down for the one medal...saying "China will win gold in the pairs" is hardly an earth shattering prediciton now is it!!!

And thinking that North America will sweep in dance :laugh: We both seem to agree that the judges are crooked so even if a North American sweep of the Dance podium in 2010 was possible (and i don't think it is) you can bet that $1,000 that the judges will start pushing up a russian couple that aren't really improving as much as the judges are overrewarding them.

Ant

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
antmanb said:
Given that some of your predictions are "either/or" that's hardly putting your neck on the line, or in fact making any viable prediction since you have two skaters down for the one medal...saying "China will win gold in the pairs" is hardly an earth shattering prediciton now is it!!!

And thinking that North America will sweep in dance :laugh: We both seem to agree that the judges are crooked so even if a North American sweep of the Dance podium in 2010 was possible (and i don't think it is) you can bet that $1,000 that the judges will start pushing up a russian couple that aren't really improving as much as the judges are overrewarding them.

Ant

Well I only used one "or/either" and it was because I could not decide whether to go with my heart or head on the two Chinese pairs. My head says the Zhangs, but I like Pang/Tong so much more and would hate to be forced into cheering for the Zhangs to win the bet so......I figured since it was only one nobody would mind, since I put my neck out on the other 10. :rofl:

As for the dance, as well as the pairs, my feeling is Russia is so weakened they will recognize they have to start the program from scratch to build up viable contenders, and not embarass the sport to a new low by making blatant deals for their own non-medal winning caliber teams they are left with like Domnina/Shabalin. Atleast that is what I hope, the thought of Domnina/Shabalin or Obertas/Slavnov on an Olympic podium is uggghh barring some major renovations by both teams.

tripleflutz

On the Ice
I think Mao Asada will grow quite a bit during the next few years and gain a lot of weight as she matures. I think she'll lose the 3A and much of her jumping ability somewhere along the way. I don't think she will be Japan's top skater in two years, never mind four years. I mean, look at her, she's all arms and legs and I doubt she weighs 90 pounds at this point. Next year is Mao's best chance for a World gold, but I think her career will go downhill after that.

Japan may have 4 or 5 of the Worlds top ten Ladies during the next few years, but I don't think it''ll bring them very many medals at Worlds.

The 2010 OLYM will be closly fought between Kimmie Meisner, Nu-Ya Kim, and Katy Taylor who are already more filled out in comparison to Mao, and will be less affected by growth.

R.D.

Record Breaker
And who's to say that the Chosen Three won't be affected as much as Mao...especially given other circumstances.

curious

Final Flight
Yes,the Zhangs will get another major gift from the judges in Vancouver unless they make more mistakes(Like falling three times lol!)than they usually do :rofl: :biggrin:

curious. You have to admit your Russian skaters are finished and nothing new but an uphill battle for Vancouver. No more Soviet treats. It's over.:biggrin:

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Unless Sokolova is planning a comeback...(where's that hand rubbing icon when you need it??)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
What about that new girl that Scott liked so much during the Olys? Maybe she was from Ukraine? He called he a firecracker. She was awesome. If i wasn't on the phone I would look her up, plus you guys are better then any search than I can perform.

Elene was my favorite at the Olympics, after Sasha. Johnny Weir has also predicted she will win in 2010! But after seeing Yu Na Kim, I'm not so sure. That girl is unbelievable. But if Elene does beat Yu Na, that will be one magnificent skate!

However this is not really a prediction for 2010, just the next year or two - and not even the podium, just the ranking (who beats who). Can't even imagine who the next four years will bring. I am counting on Sasha to slay her demons and stay in the mix.

curious

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
curious. You have to admit your Russian skaters are finished and nothing new but an uphill battle for Vancouver. No more Soviet treats. It's over.:biggrin:

Joe

Can't hide your hate for the top russian skaters can you? lol! At least they finished on top which is more than I can say for your faves. Can you predict where your faves are going to be in the next four years? lol!:biggrin:

curious said:
Can't hide your hate for the top russian skaters can you? lol! At least they finished on top which is more than I can say for your faves. Can you predict where your faves are going to be in the next four years? lol!:biggrin:
Can't stand the:biggrin: (btw, hate is your word. Not mine, and what do you show when only those skaters from one country are your favorites? :biggrin: .

Stephane won the Worlds!!

Shizuka won the Olympics!

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Would anybody like to bet 1000$ these will be the medals at the 2010 Winter Olympics:

I will bet that this is the "Energizer Bunny" of Threads, keeps going and going and......

Tinika

Rinkside
How can anyone predict what will happen four years from now? Many of the skaters are so young that they could injure themselves/gain weight/stop skating before then, especially with how fast the sport is changing these days in terms of the technical bar.

curious

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Can't stand the:biggrin: (btw, hate is your word. Not mine, and what do you show when only those skaters from one country are your favorites? :biggrin: .

Stephane won the Worlds!!

Shizuka won the Olympics!

Joe

I'm not going to engage in an all out war with you to justify who I like or don't like cause that's my right. My faves are the best who happen to be russians,but that does not mean that I don't like other skaters. Satisfy now lol!biggrin:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
curious said:
Yes,the Zhangs will get another major gift from the judges in Vancouver unless they make more mistakes(Like falling three times lol!)than they usually do :rofl: :biggrin:

For once I agree with you. The Zhangs are the judges pets and will probably continue to be so. :disapp:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
To be perfectly fair to Zhang & Zhang, who, yes, were more than a bit overmarked given the circumstances -- I think the fault for the whole thing lies in the current system. This system starts you from 0 when you start and you build up points as you go along, there does not seem to be any allowances made for long meandering interruptions to get back into the flow of things, as there was under the old system. If this had happened under 6.0, their base mark would have been lower due to the interruption and consequently their scores would have been. COP does not seem to allow for this. All they got, which is ridicolous, was the 1 point deduction for the fall, which is the same thing you get if you fall and get right back up. Silly. I would propose a 5-7 point deduction for a situation like this, depending on the length of it. Since that rule is not in place, I do not entirely blame the judges for the overmarking; they probably were unsure themselves as to what to do about it in the scoring.