Arms over the head | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Arms over the head

Piett

Rinkside
During the men's event at Worlds the german Eurosport commentators were talking a little bit about the arms over the head. One of them admitted that it really bothers and irritates him. He didn't give a specific reason but made it known that he simply can't stand it. It was actually kinda funny. I feel exactly the same.

noskates

Record Breaker
I may have said this before - I think if it's done as an exception instead of every ding-dang jump it's kind of interesting. But when it's done on almost every jump - especially doubles - what's the point. Most of the time it looks awkward to me.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I'm just wondering how Peter Carruthers should have called Adam's SP in France when he did his 3lutz with the Rippon. He seemed impressed to me at least when Adam did it, not like I'm an Olympic medalist or anything. Not any "his jump technique is AWFUL so he has to do the EASIER rippon technique to get that prerotation in! It's basically CHEATING doing the Rippon!". Give me one break. eye-roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wayU-jBVvdg. Let's attack Adam for doing the "easy" Rippon jump, shall we? You people...

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
I'm just wondering how Peter Carruthers should have called Adam's SP in France when he did his 3lutz with the Rippon. He seemed impressed to me at least when Adam did it, not like I'm an Olympic medalist or anything. Not any "his jump technique is AWFUL so he has to do the EASIER rippon technique to get that prerotation in! It's basically CHEATING doing the Rippon!". Give me one break. eye-roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wayU-jBVvdg. Let's attack Adam for doing the "easy" Rippon jump, shall we? You people...
There are different ways of doing the jump with arms overhead. You can use it to generate rotation, or you can use your lower body to generate the jump and use it as an accent

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think when Adam did it, and Brian Boitano actually, it was relatively unusual. Now it's overused. I dont' know if it helps you jump or not but to me it interrupts the flow of the jump.
It depends on how it is used. Rippon didn't use it to generate rotation. Eteri's team has figured out how to use it to generate rotation