Arriba and the gang | Golden Skate

Arriba and the gang

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I would like to say a pubic thanx to all the seldom posters and major posters and everyone who took time to talk with me and say hi at SA.
Seeing GSers at events has really added to their pleasure over the years.....you know who you are....I think we had five of us together at once for awhile at SA....

And Especially to Arriba who is a wonderful person and and a great skating friend...and who knows way more than I do! Which isnt saying much but oh well, its true.
If you ever go to an event that she is attending, make sure to say hi to her....

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Glad you had such a great time!

When you have a moment, I’d love to hear how the competition went for you as spectators—what were the highlights? Skater interactions? Did you go to the “virtual” Friends breakfast and if so, how was it?

Looking forward to watching some live skating in the future!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Glad you had such a great time!

When you have a moment, I’d love to hear how the competition went for you as spectators—what were the highlights? Skater interactions? Did you go to the “virtual” Friends breakfast and if so, how was it?

Looking forward to watching some live skating in the future!
Where to start? Yes, I went to the Breakfast and Mirai and Polina talked for a bit and interviewed skaters live on a virtual screen. Starr Andrews showed up as did her coach's mom and they sat off to the side and ate, so I went and said hi as I know friends of theirs who were there. Not well attended and low key due to covid and few live skaters. Highlights were of course sitting with my friends , GSers and not, who I havent seen in two years....We had five GSers together at one time. Not many interactions except a quick word in passing with skaters....they are of course very busy. You see them all the time of course in such a small area but you can read their body language. I said Matrix to Kaori and her coach in the elevator and they smiled but turned back around so I just wished them good luck...A friend of mine stalked Shoma and got another pic with him at her rink where she practices....
Highlights for me?
Young You's free skate....Vince....Team Japan...Team Korea...American Pairs......Amber always...a smile from Mirai.....

Covid put a pall over everything. The poor staff at the Orleans and everywhere are working so hard as no one wants to go back to work. You had to ask to have your room serviced so I just told them to let it go...I could keep it kleen and save them time. Restaurants are hurting for people so you had to plan around that....I told everyone how I appreciated them going back to work and tipped extra special heavy.
No ushers at the rink so they finally made an announcement about the manners at events...like not moving around during a skate and dont throw things on the ice.....seats were comfy and the pitch of the arena is fine. Not enough vendors open so I mostly went to Panda express a block away and ate in my room. A friend and I went out to a Greek restaurant and ate. It was wonderful but they are short staffed and had only two people. You got serviced in a styraphone package and we talked to them and they are hurting due to covid and trying to get help. The arena did provide masks at the elavators and enforced the rule there and another place...security. Security made you put everything over your head as you walked though the detectors and had no tables to set your junk down and put it back together, so I just used the floor. Many people couldnt figure out the bizarre ticketing proceedures so they arena caved and opened the box office and issued paper tickets. Many food places in the arena were not open and no place to sit and eat, which means you had to take the things back to your seat and eat unmasked. The first practice day they let solid bags in but then everything had to be clear.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Japanese fans around us were wonderful as usual....so polite...gave us posters to cheer with...Andy and Ev have been to 35 nats, and that doesnt include all the worlds, SAs, 4CCs, etc NBC Wide world of Sports skating presentations would always open with their pics....
A kaori team japan fan section.jpg

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skating interactions were more limited this time, but I did get to talk to Mirai & Polina in the concourse near the Ice Desk! I recgonized Richard Dwyer ("Mr. Debonair") in the concourse, so I said "Hello" to him (he's really very nice). On my way back to the first practice, I saw Danny O'Shea, whom I briefly mistook for Kurt Browning. Danny laughed & took it well, and of course I wished him much success in his new pairs partnership. On Friday afternoon, I saw Starr Andrews on my way back to the hotel. I wished her all the best in her competition. Following the victory lap for ice dance, I got to talk to & congratulate the whole podium! I was waving 2 small USA flags & one slightly larger Canadian one. When I spoke to Nicolaj Sorensen, I think he thought that I was Canadian (I didn't let on that I wasn't), but he did say he has lived in Canada for 11 years. I congratulated him on attaining his Canadian citizenship & being released from the Danish Federation in order to represent Canada.

What a treat as always to meet up with GS fans! Yay for CoyoteChris, Arriba, and everyone else!

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would like to say a pubic thanx to all the seldom posters and major posters and everyone who took time to talk with me and say hi at SA.
Seeing GSers at events has really added to their pleasure over the years.....you know who you are....I think we had five of us together at once for awhile at SA....
Chris, didn't see this thread you created until now. Thank you so much for your kind words and for all you do to foster camaraderie and friendship at the various events. Your enthusiasm and love of skating is contagious. I always look forward to seeing you and hearing what adventures you've had. Poor you -- how did you end up in the midst of all those Shoma fans?! We were out in full force!

One of the coolest things about this event -- the audience was SO HUNGRY for skating! At many events, every move the skaters did was applauded -- spins, steps, not just jumps! It felt so good to see live skating again. When my favorite skater came out on the ice, I felt like I could have cried. If anyone had told me at 4CC in Anaheim that I wouldn't be seeing another event for close to 3 years, I probably wouldn't have believed it...To those who are hesitating about attending live events -- just go! Our favorites' careers are so short (too short!)

Chris, as I mentioned to you, your tips about hotels, restaurants, tickets, are much appreciated. For several events, you have saved me a fortune with your recommendations and advice! I am sure that you must be part bloodhound! :biggrin: Thank you!...Glad I finally had the chance to meet iluvtodd, and it was a pleasure to meet yuumagical.

Next stop - Nashville for Nationals. Hope to see you all!

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ We just walked over to the section where the broadcast booth was & waited for Terry & Johnny to finish speaking for the media. We waved & they waved back, and we got to talk to them for a few minutes! Terry recognized me (I have given him pics of us from previous encounters, mostly @ US Nationals). I think Johnny sort of recognized us, too (@ 2020 Nationals my husband Mark brought along a Johnny mask photo that he ordered online). IIRC, Johnny autographed it. Mark forgot to bring it along this time, LOL).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ We just walked over to the section where the broadcast booth was & waited for Terry & Johnny to finish speaking for the media. We waved & they waved back, and we got to talk to them for a few minutes! Terry recognized me (I have given him pics of us from previous encounters, mostly @ US Nationals). I think Johnny sort of recognized us, too (@ 2020 Nationals my husband Mark brought along a Johnny mask photo that he ordered online). IIRC, Johnny autographed it. Mark forgot to bring it along this time, LOL).
I had no idea such a thing as a Johnny mask existed.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ I didn't either, until he showed it to me a few days before leaving for 2020 Nationals in Greensboro. One thing he should have done, though - laminate it!