Article on Olympic Team Media Summit | Golden Skate

Article on Olympic Team Media Summit

Lucy25

Final Flight
Sorry, it seems as though you have to register. This is the gist...

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/12872646.htm
Mostly about Michelle Kwan not being there with a quote from Sasha.

Quotes:
I wonder how the other skaters feel about this...
Figure skater Michelle Kwan isn't in Colorado Springs, but her presence still is being felt at the four-day U.S. Olympic Team Media Summit this week. Kwan's image adorns banners that hang behind the stage where interviews are conducted.

Glad to hear this!
Kwan, the silver medalist in 1998 and the bronze medalist in 2002, promises to return for her shot at Olympic gold. Her competition can't wait.

I find this quote of Sasha's to be very honest.
"As far as coming of age while she was still winning many titles, it can be frustrating," said Sasha Cohen, the fourth-place finisher in the 2002 Games in Salt Lake City. "I went through a time a couple of years ago when I said, 'Well, why doesn't she retire? Look how many nationals she's had; look how many worlds she's won. It's someone else's turn.' But at the same time, it makes you a better skater. You're only as good as your competition.

"When I do win a national title, it will mean a lot more if she's there."

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, I love how confident she is. :laugh:

WHEN I win a national title...wow, powerful statement- speaks volumes. Really- I'm serious.

This is where I think- let's put it this way- she's different. Your typical ice princess wouldn't talk like that. It's quite refreshing, but at the same time one could read into it and perceive it as cockiness. I won't be the one to judge whether it is or not, but there you have it.

Thanks for sharing.

ETA: The part where she speaks about Kwan- I'm not surprised in the least that she thought about that. But I am kind of surprised that she chose to ADMIT to it (publically). It takes a lot of nerve to say something like that.

I also think she is right when she says having a better skater out there makes you strive to be better. I think this was Kwan's main problem (what I said earlier, and what I was picked apart for saying as well) that allowed her to become more complacent over the years. I'll elaborate more on this later.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I was glad to hear Michelle's promise, although it did not come as a quote. Sasha sounds quite confident, talking about "when" she wins a Nat title, instead of "if". IMO, one of Kwan's greatest achievements is raising the the level of US ladies skating -- because she sets a high standard that must be met to defeat her.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Wow, I love how confident she is. :laugh:

WHEN I win a national title...wow, powerful statement- speaks volumes. Really- I'm serious.

This is where I think- let's put it this way- she's different. Your typical ice princess wouldn't talk like that. It's quite refreshing, but at the same time one could read into it and perceive it as cockiness. I won't be the one to judge whether it is or not, but there you have it.
It's funny, I didn't even pick up the "when" when I first read it! I think Sasha just speaks before she really thinks about it. And you are right, she can come across as really cocky or honest. She may need to consider this for future endorsement deals.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
It just occurred to me that Sasha's comment about her hopes that Michelle is there "when" she wins her Nat title might be a hint about her post Oly plans -- that she hopes to beat Michelle at Nats, but if she can't, she'll stick around until after Michelle retires.

brinababy87

Rinkside
I agree about this quote telling of her feelings about Nationals in general; She doesn't think of winning when skating at Nationals, she thinks about beating Michelle at her competition.

Red Dog said:
I also think she is right when she says having a better skater out there makes you strive to be better. I think this was Kwan's main problem (what I said earlier, and what I was picked apart for saying as well) that allowed her to become more complacent over the years. I'll elaborate more on this later.
You did indeed say that Kwan was stagnating. No where did Sasha even hint at that. It's your way of thinking - not Sasha's. Don't put her agreeing with you.

I'm sure you would think cocky if Kwan had said that. Your favorite is riding high this season. Enjoy it and leave the injured out of it.

Joe

Last edited:

nicole_l

Final Flight
You've got to admit, though, that Sasha's been relatively unchallenged for the silver medal at Nationals for the past 5 years. She wasn't at Nationals once due to injury, and she lost it, once, to Sarah Hughes in a horrible performance, but over the years there's just the youngsters who have to battle for bronze.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You did indeed say that Kwan was stagnating. No where did Sasha even hint at that. It's your way of thinking - not Sasha's. Don't put her agreeing with you.

Did I or did I NOT say "I THINK" before I made my comment? Maybe next time I should put it in nice, BIG BOLD font just so you can see it. :sheesh: :rolleye:

My post, again, just for clarification:

I also think she is right [ i.e. I'm saying that I agree with HER ] when she says having a better skater out there makes you strive to be better. I think this was Kwan's main problem (what I said earlier, and what I was picked apart for saying as well) that allowed her to become more complacent over the years.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm sure you would think cocky if Kwan had said that.

No, you're not sure. You're making assumptions about what you'd THINK I'd say.

Your favorite is riding high this season. Enjoy it and leave the injured out of it.

What favorite?

fscric

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I'm sure you would think cocky if Kwan had said that. Your favorite is riding high this season. Enjoy it and leave the injured out of it.

Joe

I'm in total agreement with this comment. When I read RD's post earlier I had the similar feeling. But it's okay, that's expected from him, and I find the effort each time he has to put in to make an indirect dig at Michelle, unlike some others who just blatantly bash Michelle, should be appreciated.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, if making a comment that Kwan is no longer progressing is perceived by people here as a "dig", I suppose this really is MKF II. :rolleye:

Red Dog said:
Wow, if making a comment that Kwan is no longer progressing is perceived by people here as a "dig", I suppose this really is MKF II. :rolleye:
RD - In all seriousness, and no playing the words game, what you do is constantly single out Kwan in any thread about Ladies competition even if Kwan is not in that competition. This is fact!!! I think everyone in this Forum knows exactly where you stand on matters concerning Kwan. To me, it seems totally irrational and vengeful to get so worked up over a figure skater. I can see the football fans laughing.

We recently had another poster who was similarly irrational about another skater, Sasha Cohen. We closed the thread on that one. Sasha didn't deserve such vitriol. Neither does Kwan.

To me, it seems such subtle anger should be directed at the fans not the skaters. But such anger directed at posters in GS is forbidden and will result in banning.

I would suggest you relax, enjoy, and consider corrective criticisms in your posts.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Back on Topic

"... But at the same time, it makes you a better skater. You're only as good as your competition ... When I do win a national title, it will mean a lot more if she's there."

Sounds to me that Sasha is not assuming that Michelle can be written off, at least not at Nats.

Back off-topic, LOL,...

Joe, I don't agree at all about Red Dog. To me, Red Dog is the pepper in the stew -- it would be pretty bland around here without him.

I am an uber-Kwanie. ("Kwah-nee! How I love ya, how I love ya, my dear old Kwanee! (c) Rgirl.) But I do not see anything offensive in Red Dog's position that Michelle not been able to "up the ante" over the last couple of seasons and that others have now caught up with her. Many Kwan fans think the same.

Red Dog is equally hard on Sasha, holding her feet to the fire for inconsistent performences in the biggest events.

Red Dog is an unrepentant "non-fan" of all skaters. That's OK with me.

(But I still haven't given up hope that he is secretly a closet Kimmie fan, LOL.)

Mathman

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sounds to me that Sasha is not assuming that Michelle can be written off, at least not at Nats.

Actually, IN MY OPINION it would be pretty foolish of her to discount her biggest competitor at the biggest national competition. :laugh:

I hold all skaters more or less to the same standard. Yes, I've commented a lot recently about Kwan but who hasn't? She made news when she became injured a couple of weeks ago. In the past as well, she has been constantly discussed. But I call it when I see it- I don't give compliments easily. (Maybe that's why someone commented on me being a "troll". :laugh: ) I have to be truly wowed by a skater in order to do that.

And- it's been overlooked that I was NOT part of the crowd who assumed that MK was faking her injury to get past the GP. Now, THAT IN MY OPINION would qualify more (than anything I ever said) as a possible dig at her (although I realize it's also an opinion, and as a non-fan I don't hold ANY opinion against a person).

Last but not least- about the Kimmie fan thing- no comment :laugh: ;) (And no hint, either, in case you were wondering about the wink icon.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
This is to address Joe's post (if it's even worth it :laugh: :scratch: )

Now, I'll be honest here- I don't paint rosy pictures. Yes, I am hard on Kwan- to a certain extent. I'll give credit to her where it's due. But I feel that she could have done much more than she has done the past four years. Hence where my criticism stems from. I know many of you Kwan fans are just dying to think I hate her, I'm obsessed over her, I'm worked up over her, etc. When I read your comment, Joe, I just had to :rofl: because that's simply not the case. I love your choice of words...VENGEFUL? VITRIOL? You make it sound as if I said I wanted her to die or something!! :rofl:

I'll also admit something else publically. This takes a lot of guts to say, but I am tired of many Kwan fans. I really am. This typically stems from certain Kwan fans' reactions to certain comments I make or other non-fans make, the extensive uber-fanism, and the apparent zero-toleration policy of ANYONE who doesn't kiss her feet. Notice I said MANY Kwan fans, not ALL Kwan fans. I know of some really nice, respectful Kwan fans and Kwaniacs out there, and this is NOT dedicated to you guys. You rock :rock: . The comments that some posters have been making does not help this cause either.

Any frustration that may come out stems from the comments and policies of uber-kwan fans, not Kwan herself.

But in my posts, I try to keep away from making negative comments about other posters. This really does it for me though- I've had it to here now.

Notice I make the same or similar comments about Sasha (like MM pointed out) but no one says as much as a word about it? Yet when the subject shifts to Kwan, it's simply stunning how much denial and resistance I encounter...just something (for me) to think about.

Sorry for this mini-rant, but this is really old- especially when I have not said anything disrespectful about Kwan- I'm just not into praising her every move. And Cohen too. And any other skater as well.

P.S. I know this is coming as well, so I'll just say it now. I don't criticize her every move either. It may seem like it, but if you really think and see things from my point of view, you might discover that while I respect her character and accomplishments, I feel that she could do a bit more in certain regards. You might find out that she really does nothing for me when she skates, except maybe on one occasion. And, most revealing, you might (finally) realize that Cohen does nothing for me either. She leaves me feeling cold. It's a "tough love" thing if you know what I'm talking about (except I don't "love" MK or "hate" MK, I'm just indifferent to her.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
On a lighter note...

(But I still haven't given up hope that he is secretly a closet Kimmie fan, LOL.)

I'm curious. What makes you think (or hope) this? :biggrin: :cool: