Article: Sale Interview about SLC, Touring, and Her Upcoming Wedding | Golden Skate

Article: Sale Interview about SLC, Touring, and Her Upcoming Wedding

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Ummmm.....I don't get it. Either you are the 2002 Olympic Gold medalist and have the Gold medal, or you are the 2002 Olympic Silver medalist and you have the silver. No single skater gets 2 medals in one event. Sorry, but technically (due to the changed results and double golds), there were no Silver medals to be had in the SLC Pairs event. I am trying to feel for them, but I can't say that I understand where they are coming from. They were so unhappy with those Silver medals at the time......it just wouldn't be right for them to have both sets. They are the co-Olympic Champions. If they get Silvers, so should B&S....to make things entirely equal. All in all.....let it go I say.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's kind of sad that their Olympic moment will forever be tainted by this scandal. It must feel really bad.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
aw jeez...

:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:
IMO, they should have that silver medal...and just the silver medal. I'll agree to disagree with those who think that they were the best pair with the best, gold-medal program at SLC, in case this thread opens up that whole can of worms, which it may well do. At any rate, this is some insufferable whimpering; she has the right to feel that way, but why, after all the lengths the whole world, it seems, went through to crown these two as Olympic champions, as sick to death as most people are about hearing of the whole affair, do we have to hear about this again?

Ugh; enough.
sarah m.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
sarahmistral said:
:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:
IMO, they should have that silver medal...and just the silver medal. I'll agree to disagree with those who think that they were the best pair with the best, gold-medal program at SLC, in case this thread opens up that whole can of worms, which it may well do. At any rate, this is some insufferable whimpering; she has the right to feel that way, but why, after all the lengths the whole world, it seems, went through to crown these two as Olympic champions, as sick to death as most people are about hearing of the whole affair, do we have to hear about this again?

Ugh; enough.
sarah m.
I totally agree with every word you wrote! :clap:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think it just goes to prove that she and David really had little say in what went on in 02... yes they cried, were disappointed and all that, and yeah they were happy to get gold... but let's be honest it's not exactly like they went "You screwed us out of the medal give it to us!" by the time they got their medals they seemed to be over the shock of not getting it the right way...

Jamie was the one that in the kiss and cry when they realized they hadn't won who shrugged and looked at the crowd like "hey we did our job, judges didn't see it our way"

Had the Canadian and American media not gone freako, we'd have not had the scandal and Jamie would still have the silver

why do I have a feeling that this was one tenth of the phone interview and the reporter thought this article would be better than any of the juicy bits of wedding info she probably gave? :laugh:

sarahmistral

On the Ice
thanks, RGal:) I don't post much, but I just had to get that much out :rolleye: Hopefully, Tonichelle, that is the case and they had less of a say, but I certainly remember them moping on every late night news show from the time the scandal started picking up steam to their triumphant crowning...dunno...who knows...and that's a good point, about the reporter probably playing up what would be perceived as the juiciest tidbits amidst all the middle-of-the-road wedding excitement (nothing scandalous there).

cheers,
sarah m.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:
Ummmm.....I don't get it. Either you are the 2002 Olympic Gold medalist and have the Gold medal, or you are the 2002 Olympic Silver medalist and you have the silver. No single skater gets 2 medals in one event. Sorry, but technically (due to the changed results and double golds), there were no Silver medals to be had in the SLC Pairs event. I am trying to feel for them, but I can't say that I understand where they are coming from. They were so unhappy with those Silver medals at the time......it just wouldn't be right for them to have both sets. They are the co-Olympic Champions. If they get Silvers, so should B&S....to make things entirely equal. All in all.....let it go I say.

To set the record straight: Jamie and David were good sports about the whole ordeal from the beginning; Yea, I hear you people shouting at me - anyway, they said from the beginning of the whole media three ring circus that they wanted the silver and would have gone home with it and left the gold for the Russians. It was the pressure put on them by the media and the fans that forced the issue of the gold medal in the first place.

Interestingly enough I purchased a dvd of the 2002 SLC Olympics and rewatched the whole event. This time I thought I will really watch closely and see what the judges saw. Jamie and David did have the skate of the night and yes deserved the gold, but the favorites were B&S despite their flawed program. I have always thought had it been an American couple out there in the same situation the outcry would have been heard from one end of the Gulf of Mexico to Alaska.

It was a bitter-sweet moment for S&P and I am sure they never really felt the same since the ordeal.

The only real victory that came out of the whole event was the judges were finally forced to shed light on their somewhat collusive practices.

Toller Cranston always said that "The outcome of a championship was decided in some backroom before the skaters stepped on the ice." Salt Lake City is a testimony to Tollers words.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
I have always thought had it been an American couple out there in the same situation the outcry would have been heard from one end of the Gulf of Mexico to Alaska.

are you meaning had it been Elena and Anton being forced to share as an American couple... or an American team being cheated out of gold???? :unsure: Because the US media had a field day and screamed foul before Canada had a chance to....

ITA with BronzeisGolden, Sarahmistral (how are ya?) and Rgal on this one. I'm going to sound like a meany to S&P fans, who I've actually gotten to like much better as pros with SOI--which is where "Love Story" and all its melodrama, nothing-there choreography, but two strong lifts, belongs.

I remember trying to stay neutral until I heard the whole story, but what I remember most is that if I heard Jamie Sale whine on and on one more time on one more talk show, especially with Sandra Bezic gazing doe-eyed at Jamie and David as if they were puppies, I was going to open the window and throw up all over the courtyard of my apartment building.

Get over yourself, Jamie. Criminy! "I slept with my silver medal and I just don't feel the same about the gold." That usually happens when you sleep with people, but medals? Besides, you felt the gold was awfully damn important back in '02.

Jamie, you're getting married to a hunky great pairs skater. Do yourself a favor and move forward.

What's she going to use the silver medal for anyway? A diaphragm?

Rgirl

Kasey

Medalist
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the need for the :rolleye: smilie on this one.

As someone else pointed out, you do not earn TWO medals for one event...she got the gold, and wants the silver back also? Um, WAHHH to you Jamie! :sheesh:

And as another person pointed out, silver should have been what she left SLC with anyway.

antmanb

Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:

I totally agree...honestly the cynic in me says - oh its Olympics time so anyone with an association with the last Olympics who won't be competing in it will have to issue some kind of press steatement to remind everyone who they are and what happened last time.

I say if she wants the silver now then take the silver and go down as the 2002 Silver medalists...you can't have your cake and eat it.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
It's kind of sad that their Olympic moment will forever be tainted by this scandal. It must feel really bad.

I don't think its just a boo hoo for Sale & Pelletier though, all four skaters including Ber&Sik had their Olympic moment tainted bu the cheating judges, the four of them are the victims and the judges are the culprits.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
ITA with BronzeisGolden, Sarahmistral (how are ya?) and Rgal on this one. I'm going to sound like a meany to S&P fans, who I've actually gotten to like much better as pros with SOI--which is where "Love Story" and all its melodrama, nothing-there choreography, but two strong lifts, belongs.

I remember trying to stay neutral until I heard the whole story, but what I remember most is that if I heard Jamie Sale whine on and on one more time on one more talk show, especially with Sandra Bezic gazing doe-eyed at Jamie and David as if they were puppies, I was going to open the window and throw up all over the courtyard of my apartment building.

Get over yourself, Jamie. Criminy! "I slept with my silver medal and I just don't feel the same about the gold." That usually happens when you sleep with people, but medals? Besides, you felt the gold was awfully damn important back in '02.

Jamie, you're getting married to a hunky great pairs skater. Do yourself a favor and move forward.

What's she going to use the silver medal for anyway? A diaphragm?

Rgirl

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You owe me a keyboard RGirl!!!!!!!

Ant

euterpe

Medalist
If Jamie was so happy with the silver, then why were we subjected to the TV whining that went on for days afterward? Every talk show, every news show, whine, whine, whine! I had always liked S&P, but became thoroughly disgusted with them because of the overexposure.

To this day, I find them a complete turnoff.

Much ado over a silly fluff piece, if you ask me. Maybe next time the reporter will ask Jamie about her favorite teddy bear.

Still...I wonder who does have those silver medals. $peedy? They might be worth something on ebay!

MM :)

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Only one page of postings?! You guys are slacking, there's six pages on FSU! Come on now! Just kidding, PLEASE don't get to six pages! I might have to jump off a downtown bridge, LOL :rofl:

why do I have a feeling that this was one tenth of the phone interview and the reporter thought this article would be better than any of the juicy bits of wedding info she probably gave?

ITA with Toni on this one. And you know, I haven't heard anything about SLC come out of either of their mouths in all the years since the Olys ended unless some nitwit reporter asks them first. I think they are too polite to tell the reporters to shove it, although I'd really enjoy it if either of them did for once! :rock: I don't think its something they worry about a lot though overall. Its over, done with, new champions will be crowned soon, and the dead horse is beaten to a sixteenth death at this point. Its definitely time to move on which both they and E&A have done very well and quite frankly, I enjoy both pairs even more now than I did back then. I've always been a fan of both of them and I really miss them in amateur competition. I am very curious what else she had to say in this interview that apparently wasn't interesting enough for this article though. Things that make you go hmmmm! LOL :yes:

BTW-Mathman, I do think Speedy has the medals and is just waiting for that perfect time when he can sell them on Ebay, LOL :laugh:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Perhaps the silver medals should have been sent to Shen & Zhao once Jamie and David moved up in the standings. I bet Yao Bin would have been pleased.
The real pity is that the "Once in a Lifetime Olympic Experience (TM)" was badly tarnished for four fine athletes, and that's something they'll never get back, regardless of medal color.
And because of this, we're never going to hear the end of it. :frown2:
xoxo
Rave

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
euterpe said:
If Jamie was so happy with the silver, then why were we subjected to the TV whining that went on for days afterward? Every talk show, every news show, whine, whine, whine! I had always liked S&P, but became thoroughly disgusted with them because of the overexposure.

To this day, I find them a complete turnoff.

They are attention maniacs IMHO, they love anything that puts them in the spotlight, they probably hate they are far from the spotlight now. I loved their skating, but I never liked them as people, not one bit. I dont miss them from amateur too much at all, I get to see their skating on TV still some, and I dont have to watch them mope and endure their holier-than-thou attitudes anymore.