Ashley Wagner's Music for Olympic Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's Music for Olympic Season

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Hip hip chin chin is nice, hope it will be a 2.0 of it.

La La Land......I dont know...I am done with that music...oh dear I hope she won't use vocals and Someone in the crowd...I HATE that number I don't know why. And does that mean her costume will be Emma Stone's blue dress?

Ophelia

Record Breaker
OF COURSE she would go with La La Land. It' so cliched and hackneyed. Wagner epitomizes commercial American tastes.

Last edited:

arewhyaen

On the Ice
I think Ashley is in dangerous territory with La La Land. The themes, and the music is a bit too similar to Moulin Rouge -- its gonna look like she's trying to recreate the magic of Moulin Rouge. It will be a B-version of Moulin Rouge and make her look one-note.

I think something classical would've been good for her -- La Boheme or La Bayadere perhaps.

da96103

Record Breaker
She might use the Audition song from La La Land. But I don't like her skating to melancholic songs because it accentuates the tragedy when she skated wobblingly like this year's Worlds.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OF COURSE she would go with La La Land. It' so cliched and hackneyed. Wagner epitomizes commercial American tastes.

Hey, don't blame America for this lame choice.

This is on her. Only her.

andromache

Record Breaker

I love cliche and hackneyed. And more high-art avant garde. Luckily there's room for all types in figure skating.

Not into La La Land, but she'll either make it work or dump it for something else.

Re: Hip Hip, Chin Chin - I don't think anyone thought Moulin Rouge would get better from 2015 Nationals when she decided to repeat it for 2015-2016 season, and we were all wrong.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I hated her hip hip chin chin :disapp:

I liked it but I don't want more hip hip cin cin either, perhaps selfishly as I would not be looking forward to it and would love to see something brand, new. Returning to old program won't help her either. I mean, why? I felt it reached its full potential, and now it would be just warming over in that case, something from two seasons ago :disapp:

Last edited:

QuadLoop

Rinkside
I think la la land will work wonders for Ashley...IF she uses the score only. Or very minimal of the voices of Ryan and Emma. Their paper thin voices really distract from how wonderful and magical that score really is. Go listen to the track "epilogue" from the original soundtrack starting at 4:33 OMG I can just see Ashley doing a magnificent emotional step sequence that could move the entire audience...I'm so excited to see what she'll come up with!!

Yes, Epilogue is my favorite out of the soundtrack! I would love to see an ice dance/pair skating program to it, but singles could be great as well. Plus it is already a "medley" of sorts - not as much danger of weird music cuts. I really hope she doesn't use anything with the voices D:

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
I liked it but I don't want more hip hip cin cin either, perhaps selfishly as I would not be looking forward to it and would love to see something brand, new. Returning to old program won't help her either. I mean, why? I felt it reached its full potential, and now it would be just warming over in that case, something from two seasons ago :disapp:

I'm honestly shocked that she's doing this in an Olympic season. Watching her skate this year I've wondered if she no longer has the drive to push herself because she believes (consciously or not) that her World silver medal was as good as it was going to get for her--that she could probably never top it so why keep pushing herself so hard. That she can't even muster the motivation to develop a new SP for the Olympics makes me wonder if she is just going through the motions now.

narcissa

Record Breaker
She might use the Audition song from La La Land. But I don't like her skating to melancholic songs because it accentuates the tragedy when she skated wobblingly like this year's Worlds.

I hated and totally didn't understand the Audition song.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
To be honest Ashley does this a lot in terms of her programs. She reuses programs quite frequently: Once Upon a Time in America (SP, used 2 season), Samson & Delilah (FS, used 2 season), Moulin Rouge (FS, used 2 seasons).

Given that track record I'm not shocked. The good thing about her is that when she reuses stuff she at least will refresh/switch up the choreography a bit so it doesn't look like a carbon copy of the program before. I'd like to see something new in the SP but if she's going back to a program I'm glad it's HHCC.

I have no opinion on La La Land. Haven't seen the movie...might watch it one day but not really interested right now. If she's going the broadway/musical route I hope it's done in the vein of Moulin Rouge (in terms of her portraying a character) but I want her to bring some levels to it. Again, I don't know what the movie is about (something about people trying to make it in Hollywood??) but it would be nice for her to bring different emotions to it. If she goes 100% dramatic route a la Moulin Rogue it won't be good b/c it may end up looking like a knock off of that program. But if she takes it in a different direction it might be nice.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

princessalica

Final Flight
I don't like to see them reuse, especially if they made it to worlds or a major competition. I feel like it cheapens it. You shouldn't need two seasons of the same program. JMO

da96103

Record Breaker
I hated and totally didn't understand the Audition song.

The song is about Ashley wanting to win the Olympic Gold Medal like fools who dreamed. She jumped into the frozen River Seine, barefoot, and realised she should have wore her skates. Then she had the flu for one month. And she will do it all over again.

lyndichee

Medalist
Ashley doesn't need romantic and sublime. She needs much more drama and intensity to sell to the judges.

I'm not happy with her reusing her SP. She should have come thought about coming up with another upbeat program instead.

I'm scared it will be like 2014 again where she had Romeo and Juliet and then switched back to Samson and Delilah. If La La Land for whatever reason doesn't work, her only option may be to switch back to Moulin Rouge. Moulin Rouge got the performance it needed at 2016 Worlds and having 2 reused programs won't look good.

Personally just off the top of my head, I think she should have gone with something like Kill Bill or Gone with the Wind.

I could see Ashley Wagner or Adelina maybe pulling off a nice intense SP to this Toxic rendition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K1F2bFsiDc

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was hoping that Ashley would "bookend" her career by reworking her breakthrough program ("Black Swan") into her SP for what will likely be her final season.

janav

On the Ice
Of all the skaters who may end up skating to OST from La La Land, Ashley's the only who'll possibly make it work imo. I'm guessing Shae-Lynn will do the choreo?

evasorange

Final Flight
I was thinking about this today at work (lol) and last year in a article about figure skating concussions I'm pretty sure Ashley was interviewed saying how she's had a few concussions and one of the side effects from that is that it makes it harder for her to remember choreography. Adding that fact to also knowing that Ashley is a big free skate skater, thats where she usually nails it and it makes sense to me she'd want go back to a sp that was very successful and feels comfortable to her. Of course i'd love to see two new programs in what is very likely her last season but if she had to reuse any sp hip hip is certainly the best pic. Her sochi sp,was it the pink floyd one? I remember it being pretty lackluster.

Warwick360

Medalist
I'm so excited to see Hip Hip Chin Chin again but I hope she rethinks La La Land.

Maybe she should go with Moonlight. Just when the winner happens to be declared someone with La La Land, at least we can hope that it was a wrong call on the card and have Ashley called for a medal. :p

Warwick360

Medalist
The song is about Ashley wanting to win the Olympic Gold Medal like fools who dreamed. She jumped into the frozen River Seine, barefoot, and realised she should have wore her skates. Then she had the flu for one month. And she will do it all over again.

:laugh2: