Australian figure skaters | Page 106 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
BAD NEWS, Matilda and William just updated their Facebook page with the following message:

This morning at training Will had a bad fall that resulted in a clean break through his ankle and landed him in hospital waiting for surgery where plates, pins and screws will be put in. We are devastated that this has happened, especially because we have been training so hard for our first opportunity to compete at an Olympic Qualifying event in Germany, which we were just over two weeks from. Injuries are a part of the sport and as hard as it is to accept that we will be out of training an unable to compete our two programs which we have put endless work and love into, we are in good spirits and know that we can come back stronger than ever!! We want to say a massive thank you to our coaches Mon and John for making sure we were okay throughout the day, and also to Liz Cain and Peter Lynch for their support and well wishes. Will, you're a bloody trooper! Here to support you all the way, and counting down the days to be back on the ice with you doing what we love.

Poor William! Get better soon! :cry:

First Senior internationals of the season this weekend and we're split across two comps.

All times AEST.

Lombardia Trophy, Italy (Brendan and James)
Men's SP - Friday 15/9 - 1:55am
Men's FS - Saturday 16/9 - 7:30pm

US International Classic, Salt Lake City (Andrew, Jordan, Brooklee, Paris/Matthew)
Pairs SP - Friday 15/9 - 9:15am
Men's SP - Friday 15/9 - 11:15am

Ladies' SP - Saturday 16/9 - 7:30am
Pairs FS - Saturday 16/9 - 9:20am
Men's FS - Saturday 16/9 - 11:30am

Ladies' FS - Sunday 17/9 - 11:00am

US Classic is only available on IceNotwork (which I am hoping will be IceActuallyWorks this year). Lombardia looks like it'll have a free Youtube stream.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Gah. Clean break.....
Such sad new, especially just two weeks before Nebelhorn.
Hope William has a speedy recovery.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Karne, do you happen to have a run-down of how our skaters did at USIntlclassic and lombardia ?

Not Karne, but a fan of Aussie skating...

Brendan medaled at Lombardia! Bronze behind Shoma and Brown.

I am thrilled for him and his Aussie fans.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Karne, do you happen to have a run-down of how our skaters did at USIntlclassic and lombardia ?

Hello yes sorry, I was in and out yesterday.

Lombardia
MEN
3. Brendan KERRY 233.05
18. James MIN 160.97 (got credit for fully-rotated 3A in the FS)

SLC
MEN
12. Jordan DODDS 152.70
13. Andrew DODDS 143.24

PAIRS
9. Paris STEPHENS/Matthew DODDS 84.84

LADIES (after short program)
9. Brooklee HAN 45.93

Ladies' FS starts at 11:30am AEST.

If I get a sec I will update this post with videos too hopefully

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Does anyone know what happened to Holly?!
I recently found that she's no longer listed in any of jgp events that left.
So worried bout her..:( I thought she's been well-trained at U.S. during this off-season.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^Hailey, I haven't heard anything, I'm sorry.

There is a BUTTLOAD of skating this weekend and a BUTTLOAD of Team Australia

AUTUMN CLASSIC INTERNATIONAL
(Jordan, Andrew, Brooklee, Paris/Matthew)
Friday
Ladies' SP - 10:00am

Saturday
Short Dance - 7:00am
Pairs SP - 8:30am
Men SP - 9:40am

Sunday
Ladies FS - 3:45am
Free Dance - 6:50am
Pairs FS - 8:35am
Men FS - 10:00am

ONDREJ NEPELA TROPHY
(Brendan, Kailani)
Thursday
Ladies SP - 9:00pm - midnight

Friday
Men SP - 12:15am - 3:00am
Pairs SP - 3:15am - 4:00am
Short Dance - 9:00pm - 11:00pm
Pairs FS - 11:15pm - 12:20am

Saturday
Ladies FS - 8pm - 11:20pm
Free Dance - 11:40pm - 1:45am

Sunday
Men FS - 3am - 6:20am

JGP BELARUS
(James, Lucy Sori Yun)

Thursday
Short Dance - 5:30pm-7:40pm
Ladies SP - 8:10pm - 12:50am

Friday
Men's SP - 1:45am- 4:20am
Pairs SP - 5pm-7:45pm
Ladies FS - 8:15pm - 1:40am

Saturday
Free Dance - 2am - 4:20am
Pairs FS - 4:15pm - 6:15pm
Men's FS - 6:45pm - midnight

GF2445

Record Breaker
Does anyone know what happened to Holly?!
I recently found that she's no longer listed in any of jgp events that left.
So worried bout her..:( I thought she's been well-trained at U.S. during this off-season.

oh dear. No I haven't heard anything either. Hope she is alright.

Bianca Del Rio

Rinkside
I guess Hollys concussion a few weeks ago was more serious than we all thought. Disappointing that she has to skip her jgps.

Has anyone looked for videos from SLC and Lombardia ?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I guess Hollys concussion a few weeks ago was more serious than we all thought. Disappointing that she has to skip her jgps.

Has anyone looked for videos from SLC and Lombardia ?

If it was a concussion then I am glad they are taking it seriously. I'd rather see her miss a few JGPs than have any more serious physical repercussions.

Lombardia videos

Brendan SP FS
James SP FS

US Classic videos
Harder to find youtube clips of these. If you have IceNetwork the whole events are up.

Brooklee SP FS

Andrew SP (can't find the FS)
Jordan SP (can't find the FS)

I haven't found any separate videos of Paris and Matthew's programs yet.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Brooklee' I dreamed a dream is just....:points:
Dress + 50000000 GOE

Also good job for Kailani too.
That bubbly electro-swing number is really entertaining.

Nationals is going to be awesome. If someone is going to Brissy, could you record because i dont they broadcast nationals unless its at Obrien Arena.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Brooklee Han is really hitting her stride. In just one week she has shot up 12 points in her short program from 45.93 at the US International Figure Skating Classic, to a personal best of 57.65 at the Autumn Classic Invitational. As others have already said, Nationals in Brisbane laster this year should be very exciting.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Wishing our athletes good luck this weekend.
For Amelia and James in Croatia, and for Kailani, Katia/Harley, Kim/Tim at Nebelhorn.

Was doing some number crunching for the team event.
After calculating the points and doing some number projections, it has come clear that for Australia to make the team event, we will have to rely on both or either of these two scenarios happening.

Firstly (and the most critical), Israel not earning a qualification spot in Pairs. With France relinquishing their second pair spot, if Israel finishes in the top 5 (not 4) amongst the nations fighting for those final spots, I predict Israel will be locks for the team event. If Israel earns a pairs spot, they will have entries in 3 Individual Olympic events. Also, with strong results from Alexei Bychenko and Isabella/Ilia, they will easily earn more points on the grand prix than Australia, Korea, Czech Republic etc. We will have to rely on Sumire and Francis to overtake Paige and Evgeni in the free- they trail around 1.5 points behind after the SP). Also keep in mind that Israel is already ahead of Australia in Qualification Points.

Secondly, South Korea not earning a qualification spot in 2 of the 3 disciplines they are fighting for qualification spots in. As alluded to in other posts, South Korea will receive a "Host Country Place" in all the individual events they fail to qualify for through the normal qualification process (e.g. if South Korea failed to qualify any of the 30 spot in the mens event either worlds or Nebelhorn, they will create a 31st spot for South Korea). However, these host athletes can only compete in individual events. It is important to note that these host country places do not automatically constitute a team for the host country in the team event unless the host country qualifies for the Team event through the normal qualification process.
If South Korea qualifies 0-1 of the three disciplines through Nebelhorn [NOT a "Host Country Place"], they would not be able to meet the requirements for the team event, and Australia will be ok. However, if they do qualify spots in 2+ of the three disciplines through the Nebelhorn Trophy [NOT a host country place], they will meet the requirements for the team event. Also, I expect South Korea to earn a couple of hundred points through the grand prix. South Korea also has a slight lead over Australia in points.

If both situations come true, Australia will be first reserve for the team event again
If 1 of the 2 situations happens, we have a chance,
If none of the situations happen, Australia will be in the clear.

This is of course if Kailani, and Katia/Harley qualify a spot.

And the most nerve-wracking thing is that, we will know in less than 24 hours the likelihood of Australia qualifying for the team event.

Another scenario which is not critical, but might help our situation, will be Czech Republic not earning a spot in the Ice Dance and/or ladies [not including pairs because Duskova and Bidar will qualify for sure]. Im not expecting Czech Republic to earn a spot in the ladies and Ukolova has been very inconsistent lately, however, in the dance, Mansour and Ceska are currently in contention for a berth in ice dance. A berth in ice dance will mean that Czech Republic would have met the requirements of the team event [yes, Pairs event isn't over but they are a sure lock, especially with 5 spots available].

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
For Amelia and James in Croatia, and for Kailani, Katia/Harley, Kim/Tim at Nebelhorn.

After calculating the points and doing some number projections, it has come clear that for Australia to make the team event, we will have to rely on both or either of these two scenarios happening.

If both situations come true, Australia will be first reserve for the team event again

And the most nerve-wracking thing is that, we will know in less than 24 hours the likelihood of Australia qualifying for the team event.

Another scenario which is not critical, but might help our situation, will be Czech Republic not earning a spot in the Ice Dance and/or ladies [not including pairs because Duskova and Bidar will qualify for sure]. Im not expecting Czech Republic to earn a spot in the ladies and Ukolova has been very inconsistent lately, however, in the dance, Mansour and Ceska are currently in contention for a berth in ice dance. A berth in ice dance will mean that Czech Republic would have met the requirements of the team event [yes, Pairs event isn't over but they are a sure lock, especially with 5 spots available].

Thank you for such detail analysis!
Just finish a busy week of work and catching up for Nebelhorn trophy ~ Ekaterina & Harley did so well! They look so cute at kiss and cry, it's like they can't believe the score announced.
Really like Kailani's SP, and congrats for the 1st place after short! All the best for the free!
(Seems like there is a fair chance for qualifying for team event? ;)

GF2445

Record Breaker
A great night of skating for Australia.

Congratulations to Katia and Harley for qualifying for the Olympics with a huge PB, and for winning the bronze medal last night. Staying up late was worth it.
Their "Mask" Free Skate this season is by far an enormous step up from last season.

Second round of congratulations to Kailani Craine for a PB and taking the lead after the Short Program last night. That SP to "Dream a Little Dream" and "One Day" is by far my favourite of all her Short Programs. Also, it is great to see that there is a noticeable improvement in her artistry, performance of the program, and skating skills. Add a triple triple (easier said than done) and she will continue to move up.

And finally, congratulations to James Thompson, who earned an official set of PB's at JGP Croatia for SP, FS, and Total Score.

Good Luck to Kim and Tim & Kailani tonight in the free programs.

GF2445

Record Breaker

Firstly (and the most critical), Israel not earning a qualification spot in Pairs. With France relinquishing their second pair spot, if Israel finishes in the top 5 (not 4) amongst the nations fighting for those final spots, I predict Israel will be locks for the team event. If Israel earns a pairs spot, they will have entries in 3 Individual Olympic events. Also, with strong results from Alexei Bychenko and Isabella/Ilia, they will easily earn more points on the grand prix than Australia, Korea, Czech Republic etc. We will have to rely on Sumire and Francis to overtake Paige and Evgeni in the free- they trail around 1.5 points behind after the SP). Also keep in mind that Israel is already ahead of Australia in Qualification Points.

Secondly, South Korea not earning a qualification spot in 2 of the 3 disciplines they are fighting for qualification spots in. As alluded to in other posts, South Korea will receive a "Host Country Place" in all the individual events they fail to qualify for through the normal qualification process (e.g. if South Korea failed to qualify any of the 30 spot in the mens event either worlds or Nebelhorn, they will create a 31st spot for South Korea). However, these host athletes can only compete in individual events. It is important to note that these host country places do not automatically constitute a team for the host country in the team event unless the host country qualifies for the Team event through the normal qualification process.
If South Korea qualifies 0-1 of the three disciplines through Nebelhorn [NOT a "Host Country Place"], they would not be able to meet the requirements for the team event, and Australia will be ok. However, if they do qualify spots in 2+ of the three disciplines through the Nebelhorn Trophy [NOT a host country place], they will meet the requirements for the team event. Also, I expect South Korea to earn a couple of hundred points through the grand prix. South Korea also has a slight lead over Australia in points.

On a slightly sadder (but not really), both of these situations did not happen, so unless there is an unexpected twist in events, we will be sitting in first reserve again for the team event.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But the Koreans didn't get a pairs spot, and they may not get a dance spot, leaving them with only two disciplines. I'm super confused.