Australian figure skaters | Page 99 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Random question.... what do people hear think about the current state of Australian judges. Not trying to start any drama just want to hear people's opinions.

In some states there is starting to be a lack of judges and technical officials due to judges becoming too old. Do you think we need to encourage more high level (senior, junior, novice) skaters to start trial judging so that we can have more judges in the future ??

GF2445

Record Breaker
Random question.... what do people hear think about the current state of Australian judges. Not trying to start any drama just want to hear people's opinions.

In some states there is starting to be a lack of judges and technical officials due to judges becoming too old. Do you think we need to encourage more high level (senior, junior, novice) skaters to start trial judging so that we can have more judges in the future ??

Really? I didnt know.
I heard that recently a couple of people recently passed ISU judging exams- the isu release a list of all the ISU certified judges, tech panel members in a pdf. Maybe have a look there.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I feel like it's always a good thing to try and encourage more people to get into judging and being a technical official (including data/replay).

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Was anyone else able to watch some of the skaters at hollins ?

New ice dance team Kerry and Dodds were very impressive for being so new. Really enjoyed their free dance. And for their first competition they scored very high. Should be exciting to see them skate at nationals. They could be the new top team.

Unfortunately the last day of competition is on a Monday so I won't be able to watch.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Was anyone else able to watch some of the skaters at hollins ?

New ice dance team Kerry and Dodds were very impressive for being so new. Really enjoyed their free dance. And for their first competition they scored very high. Should be exciting to see them skate at nationals. They could be the new top team.

Unfortunately the last day of competition is on a Monday so I won't be able to watch.

That is really encouraging to hear. Andrew posted a vid of their stationary lift, and it looked really impressive.
If Australia makes the team event for the olympics, the Ice Dance event at this years nationals will be 'lit'

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
StaLi4 from Andrew's twitter

They were very, very good, especially when you consider they have only been skating together 7 weeks (I found their chemistry and synchronicity incredible when that was considered) and Andrew is still in freestyle blades. Both programs are really good too, the rhumba short is fiery and sultry and the free is very emotional and beautiful. I wish there were full program videos available because I'd like to go back through and watch them again.

Also, I'm not exactly sure, but did they reach the ISA benchmark for international competition? I thought they might have, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head.

@sk8ingcoach Did you see the SD? I quite liked their rhumba.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
@sk8ingcoach Did you see the SD? I quite liked their rhumba.

Yeah I was able to see the SD as well. I really enjoyed the program especially when the music changed half way through. The no touching step sequence down the middle was very good.

snsd

On the Ice
so for those who saw them, where do you think they stand in comparison to the other dance teams?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
so for those who saw them, where do you think they stand in comparison to the other dance teams?

Hard to say at this point. I was surprised no other Sr dance teams at Hollins - guess they're all doing Wintersun?

They're certainly in the mix, imo.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm sure it was thoroughly discussed in your household.

Chantelle and Andrew were good. Very good, when you consider the length of time they'd been skating together. I'm not sure why you're taking this apparent swipe at sk8ingcoach. I too enjoyed the music change halfway through, and is it really a surprise that two Senior international skaters would have a good step sequence?

Brooklee posted this lovely triple Lutz on her instagram to celebrate her new boots.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Can someone in Australia tell me if proposed changes to immigration laws will affect Katia/Harley. I'm thinking about the change from a one-year residency requirement to a four-year one.

I saw the following article on the CBC website:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/australian-values-legislation-1.4161576

The article is mostly about "Australian values" pledge, testing requirements for citizenship, etc. That's a hot topic in Canada because one of our (fortunately failed) party leadership candidates wanted to screen immigrants for "Canadian values", though she couldn't articulate what they actually are or how you screen for them.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Can someone in Australia tell me if proposed changes to immigration laws will affect Katia/Harley. I'm thinking about the change from a one-year residency requirement to a four-year one.

I saw the following article on the CBC website:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/australian-values-legislation-1.4161576

The article is mostly about "Australian values" pledge, testing requirements for citizenship, etc. That's a hot topic in Canada because one of our (fortunately failed) party leadership candidates wanted to screen immigrants for "Canadian values", though she couldn't articulate what they actually are or how you screen for them.

Thanks for your question. The issue of immigration has continued to be a hot topic issue in Australia.
Tbh, it should not really affect Katia's citizenship at all- i have a feeling that they are trying to fast track her citizenship asap. Katia applied for citizenship well before these changes as well.

As for wider issue of immigration in Australia, its an interesting issue. On the one hand, i think its a reasonable that new citizens should be aware that Australia is culturally different. Even though new citizens are very welcome to bring their culture to us (that's what makes multicultural societies so wonderful), they also need to be made aware that the nation they are adopting as their new home has its own culturally unique mix of values and way of living, that they should get to know and ideally incorporate into their lives the best way they can (to clarify, it's a mix of their own and a new culture- not full on assimilation). However, the issue with this new announcement is that the govt has failed to state what Australian values SPECIFICALLY are. There is also a citiznship test they need to take (most average aussies would fail) and english tests (which most aussies would fail because we frequently abuse the english language with our frequent usage of slang and rough accents).

This is a common issue within multicultural societies- a fine balance of keeping one's culture and adopting to a new one. It's also a hot topic because it comes down to 'who sets these national values?' The State, the people??? And what about different opinions- progressive and conservative- where can we find a good balance so that as many people as possible can live their lives both freely and with respect for other people, yet without infringing people's rights to have and express their own opinion?

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
So now that the Brisbane JGP is so close, who do we think from AUS will be competing ? And who is going up to watch ? Should be exciting

GF2445

Record Breaker
So now that the Brisbane JGP is so close, who do we think from AUS will be competing ? And who is going up to watch ? Should be exciting

Hmmm.....i can think of a few possible, but not a full list
James Min
Charlton Doherty
Darien Kaptich
Holly Harris
etc.

We have a few junior dance teams now, so not too sure agout them

Bianca Del Rio

Rinkside

I guess Holly Harris is a shoe in for this. Other 2 ladies spots could go to anyone. Amelia Jackson, Serena Xu, Katie Pastield, Jordyn Lazarus.