Back Ache! | Golden Skate

Back Ache!

L

Ladskater

Back Ache!

I had a sciatica attack today at work and boy my back is in agony. I hope I make it tomorrow. I may have to go for physio. Oh the pain!

Ladskater

S

sk8cynic

Re: Back Ache!

You have my empathy - I blew out a disc 2 years ago. I wouldn't have wished that pain on my exhusband (well, maybe a little bit).

Hope you get to feeling better. Keep us posted.

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:teal;font-family:georgia;font-size:small;">With what my chiropractor has earned off me and my husband, he's probably driving a top of the line Lexus!

Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit... I do visit him when my back hurts or feels strained--it helps; and when my back REALLY hurt (i.e. it hurt to move), he was a miracle worker!

So sorry for what you're going through. We have huge ice packs and they really help (more than heat). Have you tried that? </span>

M

mike79

It seems like you've had the worst of luck lately, Lad. Hope you're feeling better soon.

D

dlksk8fan

Lad-having back pain is awful. I hope you are resting it and when it feels better try and keep it limber and strong. I do back exercises to keep my lower back from aching.

RealtorGal-I hate chiropractors. Only been to one when my oldest son was just a baby. Carrying him around and putting him into and out of a car really hurt my back. It was so bad that I went to a chiropractor. Poor guy knew I didn't want to be there so he was very gentle with me, and anyway his was really good looking so at least I was motivated to come back again!:lol:

L

Ladskater

Thanks folks. I was going to drag myself to physio today, but I found out due to our wonderful government cuts, physio is one of those luxuries no longer covered under our medical system. I would have to pay the shot. Anyway, for now I am just resting and icing my back. It usually subsides if I take it easy. I know I need to strengthen my back. I should hit the swimming pool this summer!

Ladskater

G

Grgranny

Do you know that sitting is one of the worst things you can do when these are going on? You are supposed to lay (or lie) on your side with a small pillow between your legs. Believe me I have had more than my share of these. Started the first time I was pregnant in 1949! The biggest help to me has been a tens unit. You have to have a prescription here, don't know about Canada. I am on my second one. DON'T bend over. When mine is bad, I can't even turn over in bed. When it first starts use ice. Then you can alternate with heat and ice every hour. Put your hands on your hips and bend over backward and count to ten. I had to do it every hour ten times. You can also do it lying on your stomach. I lost my job over it once as I couldn't go to work. I hope you get better fast.

D

dlksk8fan

Grgranny- bend over backwards and count to ten! I think lad wants to make her back feel better not throw it out again:lol:

G

Grgranny

It doesn't hurt. It relieves the pressure. You don't bend a whole lot.

S

sk8cynic

Lad,

How's the back today??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Sidenote: If you are using heat to alleviate pain, it's best to use heat for 15-20 minutes and then it's important to get up and start moving around. The heat encourages blood flow through the area, and if you don't start moving around and keeping the flow going, it gathers in the affected area and results in backlash pain.

I have found that those Thermacare patches work pretty well. They're contoured for specific parts of the body and adhere to the skin, allowing both concentrated heat and the ability to go about your day. If you're using OTC medication, you might want to try a pain reliever called Percogesic (sorry, it's not an Rx narcotic as the name implies). It's basically acetominaphen combined with a very mild muscle relaxant; it's worked like a charm for me (I've had three fusions in my spine, to date) when I've overdone it.

Swimming also helps, once you get through the initial trauma of injury, to strengthen the muscles without overdoing it.

K

Kzarah

Lad,
Last Saturday while at work, I was walking to my car. I coughed as I stepped into the street. My back went out immediately. I couldn't move for sometime. I just stood there in pain. Finally, I was able to make it back to the house where I work. I had to get on my hands and knees and turnover, just to sit on the sofa. It was the most horrible pain, I had ever experienced. The pain was in the left upper outer quadrant of my left glutinous maximums. I was told that the ER wouldn't be able to do anything for me because back problems are hard to diagnose. A friend of my mine gave me some pills called, Somas (a muscle relaxer or anti-inflammatory), and Clamatine, (I am not sure of the spelling.) The Clamatine turned me to gel. I took them at 10:00 at night with Excedrin PM. I slept until 5:00pm the next day. I did this two days in a row. I was walking the second day, but it was not easy. I know I shouldn't take pills that are not prescribed to me, especially when I don't even know what they are. But, the pain was so bad that I took them. I am still tender in the area of my injury and sometimes it hurts to sit. I feel bad for people who have chronic back problems. I hear them complain so often that it goes in one ear and out the other. When, I hurt my back last week, it was like no one has ever hurt like this. I will be more attentive to my friends with back problems from now on.
Daniel and Little Lulu

G

Grgranny

I haven't heard of the clamatine but will look it up. Soma is a muscle relaxant and you can get hooked on it. So be careful.

G

Grgranny

Clamatine isn't listed in my Pill Book. Do you have a bottle or something that spells the name for you?

K

Kzarah

Grandmother,
My spelling of this medication was way off. The brand name is Clonazepan and I took 2mg two nights in a row. You still feel the pain, you just don't care. The pain is secondary to how you will get from the recliner to the bed.
Daniel and Little Lulu

L

Ladskater

Hi all:

Thanks for the tips! It's a little better today. I have been wearing my back brace (like a wide belt) at work. It has helped and I think just resting at night and applying ice and hot baths is helping. I also do my sciatica exercises. I may go to the chiropractor for a few treatments. I don't know if this will help or not. Most of it has to do with job stress. I am under a lot of pressure right now on the job. It should ease up soon though.

Sounds like a few of you know what I am going through. Thanks for the advice and sympathy!

Ladskater

H

heyang

OOHH- back pain is not fun.

In 1999, I pulled a back muscle by doing crunches incorrectly. I was taking swing dance lessons at the time. My cousin and I were demonstrating a move to his sister and didn't get it quite right. The next day I could barely get out of bed. I couldn't bend over to put on pantyhose for work. I finally managed to pull on a pair of jeans and got myself to the doctor. She gave me Naprosyn (which is now available OTC as Alleve) - it's an anti-inflammatory. She also told me 'no more swing dancing - only the slow easy movements' The next morning was the 1st day I woke up feeling refreshed in weeks - it's amazing how much energy a dull ache can take out of a person over an extended period of time.

So far, I've been lucky and haven't had a re-occurance.

Hope you feel better soon.

J

Joesitz

Ladd - Keep it in perspective. If you can remember what activates the sciatica, try to avoid it. Good luck for a speedy recovery. - Joe

S

Show 42

Sorry to hear about your back troubles, Lad...I have been going to a chiropractor for years......he's helped me....42