Fitting with feet problems | Golden Skate

Fitting with feet problems

s_jung

Spectator
Hello,
I am beginner skater, returning after 30 years. My husband and I both have some physical issues and decided that ice skating would be the best activity for us to get into shape and address these problems. As far as level, I think we are somewhere between Adult 3-4, but have worked on things like lunges, T-stops, 3 turns, and I still can do backward crossovers and spirals.
Regardless, I am hoping for some suggestions because I have had some problems with various skates I have tried. First, I started with recreational skates which made my feet swell and ache. My arches have broken down, which has since given me heel spurs and severe metatarsal swelling. I bought two pairs of these skates because I was told I needed different sizes but they were both too large (size 10 and then a 9). After my knees started to swell and ache, I decided that I would try the Jackson Artiste. However, the shop I went to did not measure the width of my feet, only the length, so even though he suggested an 8, I picked an 8.5. They were comfortable (but heavy, bulky) in the shop, and then he heat molded them. I thought this was weird because the jackson site says they are not heat moldable, but i figured he knows better than me. By the second time I wore them my feet were extremely swollen and I was in intolerable pain. Even though we did not have the available cash after all this, I found a pro shop in Madison, Wisconsin that would be willing to rent Jackson Freestyles. I decided to go for it and the shop is ordering them in for me. I am hoping for some suggestions on what I can do/say at the fitter to ensure that I have my feet problems addressed, so I don't walk out with an expensive pair of skates that I can't wear after 2 skating sessions.
I noticed that my husband's freestyles have the Aspire footbed system insoles already in them. Is that standard? If so, I still feel that I may need more to deal with my arch issue/pronation. I have tried a few different insoles (Dr. Scholls and another cheap insole that's rated high for hockey) but they have not worked. Can the fitter place some type of wedge or something else? Unfortunately, the fitter is far away and their ice has been removed for repairs. So, I am hoping to be able to minimize the amount of times I have to go back and cannot afford another pair.
Thanks for any suggestions!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
First, for your arches (and you 100% need something for them in skates per your description), Superfeet black. Most people in skating talk about Superfeet yellow, but the yellow are for high arches. If you don't have high arches, they will feel like knives stabbing your soles. I have very flat feet and I use Superfeet black, as well as some more wedging underneath, because I have significant pronation.

Second, it sounds like you may still not be fitted in the correct size? What size are your street shoes? Correct size in Jackson is *usually* a size and a half smaller than your street shoe size. On top of that, you need to be measured for width as well. Just getting a larger size so your wider feet will fit is a no go. The skates have to be the right size length and width wise, or else the ball of your foot will not line up in the correct place over the spin rocker of the blade.

I wear a size 7.5 W street shoe, and my Jackson's are 6EE. Unfortunately if your foot is wider than the stock wide (W), it is a semi custom order and is only available in the 2000 and up boots, which are the boots sold separately from the blades.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree with much of @MCsAngel2's post. What I do have to add is that you really do need to see a proper fitter with the foot issues you have. You may need a different kind of boot or brand for that matter.
Also, as an adult you should have never been put in an Artiste and depending on your height/weight stats I worry about Freestyle.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You totally need to see a good pro fitter who understands your issues and can fit you properly in the right brand and model for you, and tweak them to sort out your pronation, etc. Ask @Ic3Rabbit if she can recommend anyone in your area.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My husband and I both have some physical issues and decided that ice skating would be the best activity for us to get into shape and address these problems.
Your stated motivation to pursue ice skating is to improve your health. Yet so far, it's creating health issues with respect to your feet. Before you head off to a competent fitter, it would be wise to first head off to a podiatrist to have your feet checked out. Just to confirm whether you have any foot issues that would cause you to avoid ice skating or whether you have any foot issues that should be corrected before you continue ice skating.

s_jung

Spectator
Thanks for the responses! I forgot to include some pertinent info- I am 5'7' and 149 lbs. The last pro shop I went to is ordering me freestyles in a size 8. My street shoe size is 9. I was able to try their "sample" skate on in the shop (and walked around in it for a while) before he ordered it, an old freestyle size 8, and it seemed to fit well. A lot better than better then the 10, 9, or 8.5 skates I had previously. I saw some superfeet insoles at the fitter so I will check them out when I go for the next fitting. Hopefully, he has the black ones! The only thing I do not like about the freestyles is that they seem to come up so far in the back (on the achilles) that they are hard to walk in. When I was a kid, I had hand-me-down skates with 0 ankle support, so I have thought that maybe I just need to get used to the stiffness.
I do agree that I should not have been put in an Artiste, but that was my first fitting, and it was suggested by the Pettit National Ice Center (they no longer have a pro shop). Due to that recommendation, I thought the fitter knew what he was doing. The Artistes felt comfortable in the store, which is why I am worried about this new pair and the same thing happening.
I decided to pick up ice skating because I have major deconditioning, along with tachycardia and I also stopped sweating after having covid (among other things). So, doing physical activity when it has been so hot here is a no go since I overheat almost immediately. I can maintain my body temp if I go easy at the ice rink. I have seen multiple doctors that want me to work on rebuilding my muscles. I finally got the referral for a podiatrist the other day, On Monday I can schedule the appointment. My husband has piriformis syndrome and sciatica.
Any suggestions on an appropriate fitter in my area for the future would be appreciated! I live in Southeast Wisconsin, almost directly between Madison and Milwaukee.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the responses! I forgot to include some pertinent info- I am 5'7' and 149 lbs. The last pro shop I went to is ordering me freestyles in a size 8. My street shoe size is 9. I was able to try their "sample" skate on in the shop (and walked around in it for a while) before he ordered it, an old freestyle size 8, and it seemed to fit well. A lot better than better then the 10, 9, or 8.5 skates I had previously. I saw some superfeet insoles at the fitter so I will check them out when I go for the next fitting. Hopefully, he has the black ones! The only thing I do not like about the freestyles is that they seem to come up so far in the back (on the achilles) that they are hard to walk in. When I was a kid, I had hand-me-down skates with 0 ankle support, so I have thought that maybe I just need to get used to the stiffness.
I do agree that I should not have been put in an Artiste, but that was my first fitting, and it was suggested by the Pettit National Ice Center (they no longer have a pro shop). Due to that recommendation, I thought the fitter knew what he was doing. The Artistes felt comfortable in the store, which is why I am worried about this new pair and the same thing happening.
I decided to pick up ice skating because I have major deconditioning, along with tachycardia and I also stopped sweating after having covid (among other things). So, doing physical activity when it has been so hot here is a no go since I overheat almost immediately. I can maintain my body temp if I go easy at the ice rink. I have seen multiple doctors that want me to work on rebuilding my muscles. I finally got the referral for a podiatrist the other day, On Monday I can schedule the appointment. My husband has piriformis syndrome and sciatica.
Any suggestions on an appropriate fitter in my area for the future would be appreciated! I live in Southeast Wisconsin, almost directly between Madison and Milwaukee.
Based on what you have said about the "pro shop" that's a no for me honestly. Save yourself issues and money and go to a real fitter who knows what they are doing as far as figure skates are concerned. They should measure and trace your feet.

As far as a fitter-looks to be a little over an hour from you, your best bet would be to go to Rainbo Sports in Glenview, IL. You would have to call and set up a fitting they are some of the best and have all boot brands and blades. Their Phone # is : 224-235-4764.

Good luck to you! :)

s_jung

Spectator
Thank you, Ic3Rabbit, for the suggestion! I was originally going to try Rainbo, but I could not reach them.

2be.a.sk8r

Spectator
Aahhh Rainbo. I miss chicagoland. That area is full of rinks!!!
Thank you, Ic3Rabbit, for the suggestion! I was originally going to try Rainbo, but I could not reach them.
Ooh, I miss Rainbo/north shore chicago. Hope you find a great solution. Im 67, great feet, no anomalies and in adult 2. Brand new skater. Had a coach inform i might pronate since i floated right on my first ever one foot glide. On rt skate, left behind rt. Just floated a bit right. (My Jackson artistes have a major heel slip in my rt boot). I will be following this discussion closely. Good luck in finding help. Hope quickly.