Back on the ice challenges | Golden Skate

Back on the ice challenges

wakey_skatey

Spectator
This is my first post so please bear with me! We are in the UK and skating has been disrupted massively over the last year and we have just returned to the ice after the 3rd lockdown. My skater is in her mid-teens, very committed (5 days per week plus lots off ice), works hard and loves her sport BUT on returning this time she is really struggling with confidence. All her jumps are back more or less, she ice dances too but she feels that all the other skaters are better and ‘back to where they were’ and she isn’t and gets very upset about it. Coaches are very supportive and happy with her progress. Any advice would be appreciated as to how best to help, always feel like whatever I say or do is wrong...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is my first post so please bear with me! We are in the UK and skating has been disrupted massively over the last year and we have just returned to the ice after the 3rd lockdown. My skater is in her mid-teens, very committed (5 days per week plus lots off ice), works hard and loves her sport BUT on returning this time she is really struggling with confidence. All her jumps are back more or less, she ice dances too but she feels that all the other skaters are better and ‘back to where they were’ and she isn’t and gets very upset about it. Coaches are very supportive and happy with her progress. Any advice would be appreciated as to how best to help, always feel like whatever I say or do is wrong...
Sports psychologist.

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
Ic3 rabbit is right as always, a sport psychologist will help massively. I think it's worth telling her that although her peers may LOOK like they are back to the same standard, they might not feel confident either. I remember being in awe on our first day back after the last lockdown and seeing a friend of mine landing her double flip first try. However when I actually talked to her she said she felt unsecure on her edges and her shoulders were a bit swingy from all the time off. I also got a compliment about my toe loop on one of the first days back and it felt very shakey and rough to me. After all, part of being a skater is making all our elements look easy!

wakey_skatey

Spectator
Thank you all. I suggested a sports psychologist but she is not up for that just yet, maybe we need to give it more time, I agree it would be helpful though. We are having conversations along the lines of ‘just because you think and feel it, doesn’t make it a fact!’ I’m sure you are right about other skaters too.