Beginner recommendation? | Golden Skate

Beginner recommendation?

venussla

Spectator
Hi everyone. I want to start to ice skating. I am 23 years old, 50 kg and 165 cm. Actually i looked up to Jackson Mystique and Artiste. But i am not sure how long they will last. Actually my budget is about 200 dollars. I am not sure how i will be competent will i try single jumps or not. But i want to have skates which it won't die in a year. Do u have comments? Please helppp

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi everyone. I want to start to ice skating. I am 23 years old, 50 kg and 165 cm. Actually i looked up to Jackson Mystique and Artiste. But i am not sure how long they will last. Actually my budget is about 200 dollars. I am not sure how i will be competent will i try single jumps or not. But i want to have skates which it won't die in a year. Do u have comments? Please helppp
Different brands of skates fit different shapes of feet and ankles, so Jacksons may or may not fit you properly. You'll need to go to a skate shop and actually try on a variety of brands with the help of a fitter who will measure your feet all over, not just their length as with street shoes. Some brands are more widely sold in many countries -- where do you live? Is your budget amount in USD? Your coach, whether for private or group lessons, will be the one to decide if and when you can safely try little jumps, so boot stiffness for jumping doesn't need to be a factor when you're still a beginner, just support for basic edges and turns. You're small (my size, in fact) so you can safely wear boots with a lower stiffness rating than someone heavier. Good luck!

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I'd say that the only skates which last for 1 year or many more are the recreational ones which belong to a person who skates just for fun, just one foot after the other going round and round around the rink once in a while during a vacation or day out with family or friends.
I'd also say that only 200 USA dollars is a little bit unrealistic for skates for figure skating, but maybe in your country/location they are cheaper, since you must account the price of the boots+price of the blades, and simple blades such as John Wilson Coronation Ace which can cover all the beginner years and intermediate, costs 250-300 American dollars. Buying used skates also not a good idea, since they were used by another person, have the foot shape of another person and can prevent you from developing proper technique.

The best idea in my humble opinion is to save money, go to a trusted figure skating skates fitter (ask your coach for a recommendation!), they will properly analyze your feet and measure them carefully, and then tell you what brand and model of boot is appropriate for you. This is hard to do online, best to do in person and leave it to the professional fitter.