Best film on ice | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best film on ice

Alsace

On the Ice
Well, I didn't particularly like the movie, but there was one that had Colleen Dewhurst ("Marilla" from Anne of Green Gables) and the woman who played Rachel Lynde from "Anne" as the coach. Can anyone think of the title? It's been bugging me since this thread started.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I only got to watch it once long ago, so memory may be VERY faulty, but there was a movie originally titled, "Skate!" that was re-titled Blades of Courage (both are terrible titles, but Blades of Courage is truly cringe worthy). I think it was a Canadian made-for-TV production. I liked it -- it was very much about the mental aspect of being a singles skater.

The young protagonist gets seduced, or at least has passes made at her, by her smarmy top-level coach. She is shattered and quits skating (yes, I know this sounds melodramatic and made-for-TV-ish, but bear with me), then is watching Nationals or something the next year on TV and decides to try again. The former coach is really nasty, getting into the backstage area just before she is to skate at her big comeback and really making a determined effort to undermine her confidence.

heyang

Record Breaker
Well, I didn't particularly like the movie, but there was one that had Colleen Dewhurst ("Marilla" from Anne of Green Gables) and the woman who played Rachel Lynde from "Anne" as the coach. Can anyone think of the title? It's been bugging me since this thread started.

Colleen Dewhurst was in Ice Castles.

Maybe you mean this one for 'Mrs Lynde' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094757/

anya_angie

Final Flight
Ice Angel starring Tara Lipinski was PAINFUL. Figure skater (not Tara) has concussion, and a dead hockey player has to possess her to keep her alive somehow (yeah sounds silly). Tara played her chief rival who then decides to help Sarah relearn how to do the triple Axel... Oddly enough, Tara's character helps her rival relearn the 3ax, without having learned the jump herself... It reminds me a bit of Quantum Leap LOL.

Go Figure was DREADFUL. Stereotypical to no end especially in its portrayal of the Russian oach, who called the heroine "Sputnik." I told my friend Dasha that and she burst out laughing for a full minute. Girl goes to special shool to train with Russian coach, but somehow the only way the school an acept her is if she becomes a hockey player... So she has to do both sports at once and it's just utterly absurd.

Now this was odd... A Romeo & Juliet story, in fact it was called Romeo and Juliet if I remember correctly, about hockey playing guys and figure skating girls who hated each other, and I have actually never seen this but I remember the synopsis, hockey player falls in love with skater and it's all tragic and dramatic like the original story it is based on.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
All of the Sonja Henie movies from the 1940s era and even the famous Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers bit they did on roller skates in the moive "Shall We Dance". Fred could have been a champion skater - of course he could do anything.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wasn't there a James Bond movie that had the girl who played in Ice Castles in it? She, of course, played an ice skater. I think it was a minor role........42

LP skater

Spectator
Ice Angel starring Tara Lipinski was PAINFUL. Figure skater (not Tara) has concussion, and a dead hockey player has to possess her to keep her alive somehow (yeah sounds silly). Tara played her chief rival who then decides to help Sarah relearn how to do the triple Axel... Oddly enough, Tara's character helps her rival relearn the 3ax, without having learned the jump herself... It reminds me a bit of Quantum Leap LOL.

Go Figure was DREADFUL. Stereotypical to no end especially in its portrayal of the Russian oach, who called the heroine "Sputnik." I told my friend Dasha that and she burst out laughing for a full minute. Girl goes to special shool to train with Russian coach, but somehow the only way the school an acept her is if she becomes a hockey player... So she has to do both sports at once and it's just utterly absurd.

I know; I remember seeing the Ice Angel movie when I was about 8, and still finding it difficult to believe. Go Figure wasn't quite as bad, but it was a little dramatic and untrue. I especially liked the scene in which she gets on the ice with the womens hockey team and is stumbling like she has never skated before. If you are already a proficient skater, hockey skates are really quite easy to get used to in my opinion; they certainly wouldn't be that difficult for a girl that supposedly had a triple axel ;)

Cutting Edge wasn't bad; the first was by far the best, despite the "impossible" pairs move at the end. ;)

Ice Castles is still my favorite, although I should watch it again; another one of those movies that I watched when I was 8!

Maybe I am a bit of a "figure skating film snob" but I think that a REALISTIC figure skating movie (like Ice Castles was) would be a nice change