Determining/Adjusting boot fit quickly | Golden Skate

Determining/Adjusting boot fit quickly

jellyhearts

Rinkside
Hello! I created an account just to post this, after being a longtime lurker and searching through all the threads I could find about feet and fit :) Unfortunately, while I'm not the only one with weird feet, none of the advice sounds quite right for mine, so here I am!

My main concerns are: How can I determine asap (off-ice at fitter's, on-ice within x hours) if a particular make or model of skate are "working" for my feet? If they aren't right is it a last issue or totally adjustable via punch-outs or cut-outs?

================================================================================

After struggling with poorly-fitting Jacksons, I finally got fitted properly by George Spiteri into the SP Teri Zero Gravity, with enough adjustments that they count as semi-custom. George and his son Aaron have been nothing but kind and honest; I will corroborate other posters who've said they are never pushy. They've seen me through 8-10 visits where they patiently help me with punchouts, cutting out pockets in the custom insoles, cutting out foam or cork half-insoles/wedges for me to try, pinching the heel in...

However, my arch pains persist over a year later, only temporarily eased by Superfeet hockey comfort insoles. In this year in the SP Teris, I've also developed Haglund's deformity on both feet, I've had my right bunion grow and my left bunion sprout, I've grown bunionettes, I'm developing hard lumps (not sure if bone spurs?) on the lateral outside of the midfoot on both sides.

Which leads me to: I'm wondering about whether I should switch brands entirely -- or if the bunions and other bumps are just par for the course since I've started skating more/more intensely.

About me and my feet:
  • I'm 5'4" and 110lb steady, past the growing stage of life
  • Roman toe shape, inverted triangle foot shape
    • Haglund's and abrasions on narrow heels - Makes heel slippage a mixed issue, for which I use a gel heel pad
    • Growing bunions and bunionettes - I never wear high heels off the ice, can't walk in them
    • Some lumps/bone spurs growing on the outsides of my mid-feet
  • Mild to moderate pronation, must lace tightly to prevent tongues from shifting to the outer sides of the feet
  • Brief stint of peroneal tendonitis in left foot when out of nowhere the outer ankle bone kept feeling constricted/chafed by the edge of the tongue or something
  • I also have fairly serious Raynaud's episodes, but I believe the arch/foot pain is separate although exacerbated by the cold
    • I might need to think about leaving extra space for toe warmers or something since my episodes are debilitating
  • I found the insoles/liners that came with the boots were too flat, which made the arches and the middle of the ball of the foot ache as if they were not being supported by anything beneath them. Switching insoles to the Superfeet improved this, although some parts of the Superfeet feel too high-volume for my sole profile i.e. its peaks push up onto the wrong parts of my feet.

About my skating and skates:
  • Adult bronze, fixing my 1F floop and barely brushing 1A prep work (pre-/over-rotation issues on many jumps). I'd say I pick up spins much easier than jumps.
    • Not to make excuses but I think I'd improve faster if my skates didn't feel like chunky blocks or finicky vices all the time, I'd love a boot more moulded to my feet. They definitely don't feel like extensions of me.
    • I'm in this for the long haul but I'm aware of the issues associated with overbooting
    • I bend my knees more than enough
  • I skate an average of 14 hours a week; I've skated about 640 hours in these SP Teris
  • I cannot pull my laces snug from toes to ankle because that causes bunion pain, but too loose makes my feet move. I retie my skates several times an hour.
  • To counteract increasing heel slippage, I now tie the ankles a lot tighter than most people, giving me lace bite (new to me)
    • I've changed my laces a few times, though sharpeners/fitters have assured me the old pair is always "still fine"
    • I still have to get off the ice at least once every hour because feet are hurting. Just got a blister yesterday after forgetting the gel heel pad :(
  • I have picked up ballet but just for skating's sake, not planning to go en pointe
  • I like having firm ankle support, and I don't think I'd want a high heel

Boot/blade history:
  • Can't recall my first pair of Jackson recreational skates
  • Jackson Competitor 6.5 D with Ultima Mirage 9.75" (250 hours but mainly low-level group classes and slow private lessons)
    • My first pair of non-recreational skates were Jackson Competitors (model 2400) size 6.5 D with Mirage blades 9.75", which in hindsight the supposedly-experienced fitter only sold to me because she was clearing stock: They were too long and too wide-heeled; I was constantly tripping over my toepick, struggling with heel slippage, and struggled to find my sweet spot.
  • Jackson Competitor 6.5 D with Coronation Ace 9.75" (209 hours)
    • I thought I could solve the tripping issue with a blade change to Coronation Ace, and it did! But that pro shop didn't even bother re-measuring me, just looked at the Mirages and gave me the same length blades, so the blades were just too long and sweet spot too far forward. Many frustrated tears.
  • SP Teri Zero Gravity AA heel/B ball with Coronation Ace 9.5" and Superfeet hockey comfort insoles (640 hours and counting)
    • Discovered I'm decent at spins after all, so I think that means the sweet spot is in the right location for my foot now

So my 2 concerns are boot shape as well as sole profile. I would love brand recommendations plus advice on going custom; I confess to being terrified of dropping all that money on boots that are going to worsen or add to my bunions and bumps.

================================================================================

If you've made it this far, thank you! And if I can provide any info to clarify, feel free to ask :)

P.S. I've been asking around for a skating-experienced podiatrist, but all the recommendations seem to have retired. Your suggestions for SF/NYC are welcome!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I created an account just to post this, after being a longtime lurker and searching through all the threads I could find about feet and fit :) Unfortunately, while I'm not the only one with weird feet, none of the advice sounds quite right for mine, so here I am!

My main concerns are: How can I determine asap (off-ice at fitter's, on-ice within x hours) if a particular make or model of skate are "working" for my feet? If they aren't right is it a last issue or totally adjustable via punch-outs or cut-outs?

After struggling with poorly-fitting Jacksons, I finally got fitted properly by George Spiteri into the SP Teri Zero Gravity, with enough adjustments that they count as semi-custom. George and his son Aaron have been nothing but kind and honest; I will corroborate other posters who've said they are never pushy. They've seen me through 8-10 visits where they patiently help me with punchouts, cutting out pockets in the custom insoles, cutting out foam or cork half-insoles/wedges for me to try, pinching the heel in...

However, my arch pains persist over a year later, only temporarily eased by Superfeet hockey comfort insoles. In this year in the SP Teris, I've also developed Haglund's deformity on both feet, I've had my right bunion grow and my left bunion sprout, I've grown bunionettes, I'm developing hard lumps (not sure if bone spurs?) on the lateral outside of the midfoot on both sides.

Which leads me to: I'm wondering about whether I should switch brands entirely -- or if the bunions and other bumps are just par for the course since I've started skating more/more intensely.

About me and my feet:
  • I'm 5'4" and 110lb steady, past the growing stage of life
  • Roman toe shape, inverted triangle foot shape
    • Haglund's and abrasions on narrow heels - Makes heel slippage a mixed issue, for which I use a gel heel pad
    • Growing bunions and bunionettes - I never wear high heels off the ice, can't walk in them
    • Some lumps/bone spurs growing on the outsides of my mid-feet
  • Mild to moderate pronation, must lace tightly to prevent tongues from shifting to the outer sides of the feet
  • Brief stint of peroneal tendonitis in left foot when out of nowhere the outer ankle bone kept feeling constricted/chafed by the edge of the tongue or something
  • I also have fairly serious Raynaud's episodes, but I believe the arch/foot pain is separate although exacerbated by the cold
    • I might need to think about leaving extra space for toe warmers or something since my episodes are debilitating
  • I found the insoles/liners that came with the boots were too flat, which made the arches and the middle of the ball of the foot ache as if they were not being supported by anything beneath them. Switching insoles to the Superfeet improved this, although some parts of the Superfeet feel too high-volume for my sole profile i.e. its peaks push up onto the wrong parts of my feet.

About my skating and skates:
  • Adult bronze, fixing my 1F floop and barely brushing 1A prep work (pre-/over-rotation issues on many jumps). I'd say I pick up spins much easier than jumps.
    • Not to make excuses but I think I'd improve faster if my skates didn't feel like chunky blocks or finicky vices all the time, I'd love a boot more moulded to my feet. They definitely don't feel like extensions of me.
    • I'm in this for the long haul but I'm aware of the issues associated with overbooting
    • I bend my knees more than enough
  • I skate an average of 14 hours a week; I've skated about 640 hours in these SP Teris
  • I cannot pull my laces snug from toes to ankle because that causes bunion pain, but too loose makes my feet move. I retie my skates several times an hour.
  • To counteract increasing heel slippage, I now tie the ankles a lot tighter than most people, giving me lace bite (new to me)
    • I've changed my laces a few times, though sharpeners/fitters have assured me the old pair is always "still fine"
    • I still have to get off the ice at least once every hour because feet are hurting. Just got a blister yesterday after forgetting the gel heel pad :(
  • I have picked up ballet but just for skating's sake, not planning to go en pointe
  • I like having firm ankle support, and I don't think I'd want a high heel

Boot/blade history:
  • Can't recall my first pair of Jackson recreational skates
  • Jackson Competitor 6.5 D with Ultima Mirage 9.75" (250 hours but mainly low-level group classes and slow private lessons)
    • My first pair of non-recreational skates were Jackson Competitors (model 2400) size 6.5 D with Mirage blades 9.75", which in hindsight the supposedly-experienced fitter only sold to me because she was clearing stock: They were too long and too wide-heeled; I was constantly tripping over my toepick, struggling with heel slippage, and struggled to find my sweet spot.
  • Jackson Competitor 6.5 D with Coronation Ace 9.75" (209 hours)
    • I thought I could solve the tripping issue with a blade change to Coronation Ace, and it did! But that pro shop didn't even bother re-measuring me, just looked at the Mirages and gave me the same length blades, so the blades were just too long and sweet spot too far forward. Many frustrated tears.
  • SP Teri Zero Gravity AA heel/B ball with Coronation Ace 9.5" and Superfeet hockey comfort insoles (640 hours and counting)
    • Discovered I'm decent at spins after all, so I think that means the sweet spot is in the right location for my foot now

So my 2 concerns are boot shape as well as sole profile. I would love brand recommendations plus advice on going custom; I confess to being terrified of dropping all that money on boots that are going to worsen or add to my bunions and bumps.

If you've made it this far, thank you! And if I can provide any info to clarify, feel free to ask :)

P.S. I've been asking around for a skating-experienced podiatrist, but all the recommendations seem to have retired. Your suggestions for SF/NYC are welcome!
Hi and welcome! You've got alot to address here so I hope I don't miss anything.

IDK why they put you in this SP Teri. They are too high level/stiff for you which could be causing all the issues on top of the issues you already have with your feet. Bunions, feet getting ugly (to say it nicely) comes with the sport if you are pretty serious about it. You do not want to see my feet at this point in my career!:laugh2:
As far as the foot warmers, you should not be putting them in your boots nor should you be allowing for room for them, you are never going to get a perfect or near perfect for you fit by doing that. You are also skating a little more a week than you should be at your stage, I understand if you love the sport, but it (the amount of hours), is probably not helping your foot situation.

Ok, so I was going to suggest Jacksons to you, custom. But you seem to dislike them (even though you never got a chance to know what they really feel like b/c you weren't fit properly ;) ). I don't think there's a stock Risport I could suggest even though I would love to.

I don't usually do this but you are going to probably need a custom boot or semi custom. Jackson or Riedell. Are you in NYC or SF? I can suggest a good fitter to see to get this process started if you choose to.

spinningdancer

Rinkside
Having all those issues in boots that would be considered semi-custom is not good. I also had issues with SP Teri. I was fitted directly at the factory, and they seriously mis-measured the width of my foot, resulting in semi-custom boots that were too narrow (which is really saying something, considering I have a pretty narrow foot). All those bumps you've developed on your feet may be there to stay, which will make fitting future boots more complicated. In a correctly fitted pair boots, your foot shouldn't change at all. At worst, maybe you'll get a little soreness or a blister or two during break in, but that's it. You should absolutely not develop bunions, bunionettes, or or bumps on your feet. Those are signs of a poorly fitted boots.

My advice - ditch the SP Teris yesterday, make an appointment to see a foot doctor to see if anything can be done to correct the damages to your feet, and find an experienced fitter who can get you into a pair of boots that actually fits properly. Visit a few different fitters and get different opinions and try on as many brands as you can.

jellyhearts

Rinkside
Hi and welcome! You've got alot to address here so I hope I don't miss anything.

IDK why they put you in this SP Teri. They are too high level/stiff for you which could be causing all the issues on top of the issues you already have with your feet. Bunions, feet getting ugly (to say it nicely) comes with the sport if you are pretty serious about it. You do not want to see my feet at this point in my career!:laugh2:
As far as the foot warmers, you should not be putting them in your boots nor should you be allowing for room for them, you are never going to get a perfect or near perfect for you fit by doing that. You are also skating a little more a week than you should be at your stage, I understand if you love the sport, but it (the amount of hours), is probably not helping your foot situation.

Ok, so I was going to suggest Jacksons to you, custom. But you seem to dislike them (even though you never got a chance to know what they really feel like b/c you weren't fit properly ;) ). I don't think there's a stock Risport I could suggest even though I would love to.

I don't usually do this but you are going to probably need a custom boot or semi custom. Jackson or Riedell. Are you in NYC or SF? I can suggest a good fitter to see to get this process started if you choose to.
Woah @Ic3Rabbit I've seen you in every fit thread, and I'm so honoured that you've answered me too! 🥰 And I appreciate you getting all of the minutiae I just word-vomited in my first post here 😅

Oh I do think my SP Teris are stiff, but I thought that was just par for the course for adult skaters since I hear most ratings are for kids/I skate way more than the average began-late. Re bunions and other "ugly" stuff, are they going to prevent skaters from skating over the years though? One of my rink friends is early 20's coming back from bunion removal surgery after a childhood spent competing; I think the surgery has severely hampered her skating since.

I actually think I'm not skating enough to improve; I'm really struggling with specific things that I shouldn't be at my level (e.g. crossovers are infamously bad while spins are decent), and I would like to get my jump wishlist done before I age out of them :) So unfortunately I'll just have to hope for better fit so the long hours don't harm my anatomy!

Actually I'd be totally open to Jacksons, I just have no idea how to sort through the multitude of brands offering customs -- What makes a Jackson custom different from a Harlick custom, vs the newer stuff like Avanta/foot scans, it all sounds the same after a while!
  • Just curious, why would you mention Jackson and Riedell specifically, opposed to their rivals? e.g. I always heard Riedells were "narrow", but I don't know much about boots (hence my post).
    • Btw, in case it helps you, at a brief fitting a couple years ago the off-the-shelf Edea boots all felt super squeezy while the Risport padding felt heavenly. Fitter says either way if I buy them they have to be adjusted to me, so maybe this isn't helpful info.
  • Yes, I have car access in the SF Bay Area and spend most of my time there so recs there are easier than NY (I visit very infrequently, no car)! So I would LOVE your suggestions, and of course feel free to DM if you're not comfortable posting it
  • Are there specific things you'd remind me to mention to the fitter(s)? They can see the physical stuff of course, but stuff like the Raynaud's/arch pains/foot swelling
    • I often put handwarmers on top of my boots (held there by boot covers) to reduce the Raynaud's
    • I definitely don't want to put anything extra in the boots because as you say it hampers the fit, just that some skaters suggested wearing toewarmers for the Raynaud's
    • I've just tried the floquiya/bobbey wool skating socks - too thick for me sigh

(ETA: For clarity)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Having all those issues in boots that would be considered semi-custom is not good. I also had issues with SP Teri. I was fitted directly at the factory, and they seriously mis-measured the width of my foot, resulting in semi-custom boots that were too narrow (which is really saying something, considering I have a pretty narrow foot). All those bumps you've developed on your feet may be there to stay, which will make fitting future boots more complicated. In a correctly fitted pair boots, your foot shouldn't change at all. At worst, maybe you'll get a little soreness or a blister or two during break in, but that's it. You should absolutely not develop bunions, bunionettes, or or bumps on your feet. Those are signs of a poorly fitted boots.

My advice - ditch the SP Teris yesterday, make an appointment to see a foot doctor to see if anything can be done to correct the damages to your feet, and find an experienced fitter who can get you into a pair of boots that actually fits properly. Visit a few different fitters and get different opinions and try on as many brands as you can.
The boots really aren't "semi-custom" They're a stock boot that had adjustments made to them. Also, calluses and a few other foot issues do come with the territory, especially if serious, elite and skating forever day in and day out. Podiatrists are our friends.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Woah @Ic3Rabbit I've seen you in every fit thread, and I'm so honoured that you've answered me too! 🥰 And I appreciate you getting all of the minutiae I just word-vomited in my first post here 😅

Oh I do think my SP Teris are stiff, but I thought that was just par for the course for adult skaters since I hear most ratings are for kids/I skate way more than the average began-late. Re bunions and other "ugly" stuff, are they going to prevent skaters from skating over the years though? One of my rink friends is early 20's coming back from bunion removal surgery after a childhood spent competing; I think the surgery has severely hampered her skating since.

I actually think I'm not skating enough to improve; I'm really struggling with specific things that I shouldn't be at my level (e.g. crossovers are infamously bad while spins are decent), and I would like to get my jump wishlist done before I age out of them :) So unfortunately I'll just have to hope for better fit so the long hours don't harm my anatomy!

Actually I'd be totally open to Jacksons, I just have no idea how to sort through the multitude of brands offering customs -- What makes a Jackson custom different from a Harlick custom, vs the newer stuff like Avanta/foot scans, it all sounds the same after a while!
  • Just curious, why would you mention Jackson and Riedell specifically, opposed to their rivals? e.g. I always heard Riedells were "narrow", but I don't know much about boots (hence my post).
    • Btw, in case it helps you, at a brief fitting a couple years ago the off-the-shelf Edea boots all felt super squeezy while the Risport padding felt heavenly. Fitter says either way if I buy them they have to be adjusted to me, so maybe this isn't helpful info.
  • Yes, I have car access in the SF Bay Area and spend most of my time there so recs there are easier than NY (I visit very infrequently, no car)! So I would LOVE your suggestions, and of course feel free to DM if you're not comfortable posting it
  • Are there specific things you'd remind me to mention to the fitter(s)? They can see the physical stuff of course, but stuff like the Raynaud's/arch pains/foot swelling
    • I often put handwarmers on top of my boots (held there by boot covers) to reduce the Raynaud's
    • I definitely don't want to put anything extra in the boots because as you say it hampers the fit, just that some skaters suggested wearing toewarmers for the Raynaud's
    • I've just tried the floquiya/bobbey wool skating socks - too thick for me sigh

(ETA: For clarity)
You're welcome, that's why I'm here! :) I'll send you the info for a good fitter in one of those areas. They will be able to further help you with getting the custom process going. I mentioned those two b/c they are the most widely accessible companies for North America to do a custom. Riedell is more narrow in stock boots, not custom which is made "perfect" for your foot and needs. Risport you'd have to go with stock (if one even fit), no to Edea and no to Avanta etc.

Wear foot warmers in your sneakers or whatever before you put your skate on, don't put them under boot covers like you are now, that's not only dangerous to yourself, but other skaters. Yes, mention the Raynaud's etc to the fitter, they may be able to get you a lining in the boot that keeps your feet warmer long, but in the long run you are going to have to take breaks and put the sneakers back on with the warmers in them to help warm your feet up. And don't wear very wooly, thick socks in your boots, that is a big no.

Good luck! :)

jellyhearts

Rinkside

(Hoping my reply to this one isn't sent to mod queue too! Sorry for reply lag in this thread)

Thanks, yeah I'm looking for brand/fitter thoughts for this reason, I wasn't sure if it was a mismatch between my feet and the SP Teri last or quality issues or just dumb feet, but hopefully my next pair of skates are going to be much better. Do you have any tips on ascertaining fit during a try-on? I just feel like everything feels all right in store (even these SP Teris), but then I go to skate and ouch/loose/cramp!

Any advice on finding a foot doctor with figure skating experience? (Generic search tips or Bay Area/NYC dr recs would be great, can DM me if disallowed/discouraged from posting in a thread like this.) Most of my skating friends with foot problems are older folks, so all of their doctors are retired.

Incidentally, because I have yet to find "fitting skates" and don't know what normal break-in/wear patterns look like, I have to ask: My boots have recently gotten significantly more squish-able although they look okay. Is this what it means to break in boots, or have these abruptly broken down? (Not sure if new users are allowed to post video links but lemme try: ) This was filmed right after getting off the ice, they are less squishable if I wait longer after my last skate, but even a couple of weeks ago they were much much more stiff. The only change I can think of is that I've started putting 1 dispoable handwarmer into each boot about 40 minutes before I begin skating, which has been a big help for my Raynaud's.

jellyhearts

Rinkside
You're welcome, that's why I'm here! :) I'll send you the info for a good fitter in one of those areas. They will be able to further help you with getting the custom process going. I mentioned those two b/c they are the most widely accessible companies for North America to do a custom. Riedell is more narrow in stock boots, not custom which is made "perfect" for your foot and needs. Risport you'd have to go with stock (if one even fit), no to Edea and no to Avanta etc.

Wear foot warmers in your sneakers or whatever before you put your skate on, don't put them under boot covers like you are now, that's not only dangerous to yourself, but other skaters. Yes, mention the Raynaud's etc to the fitter, they may be able to get you a lining in the boot that keeps your feet warmer long, but in the long run you are going to have to take breaks and put the sneakers back on with the warmers in them to help warm your feet up. And don't wear very wooly, thick socks in your boots, that is a big no.

Good luck! :)
Thanks, I'm excited/relieved to begin the hunt for less problematic skates! Re the Edeas, is that a no because of my foot shape? I've not seen many Avantas so I don't know much about them beyond one really good skater's rave review (but pretty sure they give her special care because she's really really good!)

Ah I did wonder re the warmers under the covers thing but if my boot covers are really tight/secure and the warmers are the soft/squishy kind, is that all right? It takes more than an hour for each Raynaud's episode to go away so without the warmers I'd never get any skating done. I was thinking of paying for wool insoles/liners but other Raynaud's-stricken skaters have mentioned they don't work.

I agree re rejecting the wool socks - The ones I got are actually fairly thin, but still not thin enough to skate properly with. Alas!

spinningdancer

Rinkside
The boots really aren't "semi-custom" They're a stock boot that had adjustments made to them. Also, calluses and a few other foot issues do come with the territory, especially if serious, elite and skating forever day in and day out. Podiatrists are our friends.
That seems to be what SP Teri considers "semi-custom," or at least they did when they were still based in the SF Bay Area. My skates were also stock boots with some adjustments made, namely a split width, and a few other things, and they were referring to them as "semi-custom" at the SP Teri factory. I do realize that some foot issues come with the territory - I myself had both big toenails fall off as a kid due to some less than ideal fitting skates, and I have corns, but those don't bother me usually. However, I am of the belief that deformities, such the development of bunionettes (I also have of one of those I acquired as a kid), can be avoided with properly fitted boots, in just about everyone.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks, I'm excited/relieved to begin the hunt for less problematic skates! Re the Edeas, is that a no because of my foot shape? I've not seen many Avantas so I don't know much about them beyond one really good skater's rave review (but pretty sure they give her special care because she's really really good!)

Ah I did wonder re the warmers under the covers thing but if my boot covers are really tight/secure and the warmers are the soft/squishy kind, is that all right? It takes more than an hour for each Raynaud's episode to go away so without the warmers I'd never get any skating done. I was thinking of paying for wool insoles/liners but other Raynaud's-stricken skaters have mentioned they don't work.

I agree re rejecting the wool socks - The ones I got are actually fairly thin, but still not thin enough to skate properly with. Alas!
Yes, anything stock that I said no to is either b/c of foot shape or that fact that you aren't going to get a custom in them. I mentioned this in my earlier post. No, don't skate w/ those warmers ON your boots ever. Feel free to put them in the boots before you have to skate or put your foot in your boot, but not whilst wearing them. Also, the broken in thing has nothing to do with "squishy".

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So is the sudden squish a bad sign then? They have always been stiff yet suddenly, despite my pathetic grip strength, I am finding lots of squish!
Like I said above, it's nothing to do with how squishy or not or anything to do with that term of yours lol that they are. I can answer this in a dm at a later time. Without seeing more of your boot though, can't really say if they are okay or not, I would presume with your height/weight etc and how stiff those boots are to begin with that they aren't but again can't say that for sure.