Blade alignment question | Golden Skate

Blade alignment question

shumaislife

Rinkside
Hello, I have a couple questions on blades and alignment!

How can I tell if my blades need to be adjusted? Mine came pre-installed as a kit with Jackson Freestyles. My LTS coach says I might need to move the right blade in more, because he can hear "scratching" when I get on my right outside edge. But then he also says maybe not, because my blades are very straight when I'm just standing. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what to feel for.

I'm getting antsy because we learned bunny hops, and I'm scared to practice them on my temporary mount. Do bunny hops count as jumps? If so, I will refrain from doing them outside of classes.

All this to say, I want to get my blades permanently mounted, but I don't want to get it mounted "incorrectly" for my feet. What else should I be looking for to check the alignment? Thanks so much!

Elija

On the Ice
Best way at your level is probably to do a one foot glide on each foot. Go down a line and see if you can stay on the line without fighting to. If the blade is pulling one way or the other it may need adjusting. Your coach should also be able to help, if they can see that you are struggling to get on a particular edge (this could also be technique of course).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, I have a couple questions on blades and alignment!

How can I tell if my blades need to be adjusted? Mine came pre-installed as a kit with Jackson Freestyles. My LTS coach says I might need to move the right blade in more, because he can hear "scratching" when I get on my right outside edge. But then he also says maybe not, because my blades are very straight when I'm just standing. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what to feel for.

I'm getting antsy because we learned bunny hops, and I'm scared to practice them on my temporary mount. Do bunny hops count as jumps? If so, I will refrain from doing them outside of classes.

All this to say, I want to get my blades permanently mounted, but I don't want to get it mounted "incorrectly" for my feet. What else should I be looking for to check the alignment? Thanks so much!
I'm a little confused here because the Freestyle comes as a stock kit with the Aspire blade already "permanent" mounted. It's not like when you get a separate boot and blade and they semi-mount it until they know it's right for you before perma-mounting and sealing. So, if you need an adjustment you are going to have to get your tech to specially do it for you. Ask your tech to watch you skate and do a few things to see if your blade does indeed need moved.

shumaislife

Rinkside
I'm a little confused here because the Freestyle comes as a stock kit with the Aspire blade already "permanent" mounted. It's not like when you get a separate boot and blade and they semi-mount it until they know it's right for you before perma-mounting and sealing. So, if you need an adjustment you are going to have to get your tech to specially do it for you. Ask your tech to watch you skate and do a few things to see if your blade does indeed need moved.
Interesting! I don't know if mine is special, but it's the Jackson Freestyle Fusion and the Aspire XP is indeed mounted with two screws in the front, two screws at the heel per boot. I got a little bag of screws in the box for the permanent mount too.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Interesting! I don't know if mine is special, but it's the Jackson Freestyle Fusion and the Aspire XP is indeed mounted with two screws in the front, two screws at the heel per boot. I got a little bag of screws in the box for the permanent mount too.
I didn't say your set was special. I said it's pretty much mounted when you get them, it's not like my boots that are separate from my P99's and have to be mounted to my liking and then eventually permanently screwed in place and sealed. Yours come that way, the tech doesn't do it for you when they come in because they are stock and come from the manufacturer that way. You are going to have to special request that the tech looks at your skates to see if they need to be re-mounted for you, not the way they come and most people can skate on them out of the box.

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Try skating forwards and then gliding on two feet, with your feet together, actually touching. That way, if you can do it, you're not in too bad a mount. If one of the blades decides it's going to take a dive underneath (trust me, it's terrifying) then it definitely needs moving.

shumaislife

Rinkside
Try skating forwards and then gliding on two feet, with your feet together, actually touching. That way, if you can do it, you're not in too bad a mount. If one of the blades decides it's going to take a dive underneath (trust me, it's terrifying) then it definitely needs moving.
So since I haven't felt this horror of the blade diving underneath during a feet-together-two-foot glide, I guess the blade location must be okay! I'll definitely have a tech watch me skate though and see if I need adjustments before permanent mounts.