Blade help: Legacy 8 to Coronation Ace | Golden Skate

Blade help: Legacy 8 to Coronation Ace

angela9847

Spectator
Hi,
I'm a lifelong recreational skater turned serious adult skater 3 or 4 years ago. I've been through a few Riedell boots and blades, most recently upgrading from a 2nd pair of Motions with Legacy 8 blades to the Elaras with Coronation Ace blades. Love the boots--no issues there. I've really struggled with the change in blades, though!!! It seems like I can't find the toe pick on my jumps, when before I had mastered half-flip, waltz, slachow, and toe loop, now I can only do the half jumps and those I initially felt like I was STILL reaching for a pick that was barely there. On salchow and toe loops, I either slide out on the edge, or feel like I'm missing the toe pick entirely. I know the 1st of the toe pick isn't as pronounced on the Coro Ace as it is on the Legacy 8, but I don't know what to do. I got Coro Aces to help with spins. My spins aren't great. Fitter suggests going back to Legacy 8s for that bigger toepick. My reservations are that I'll never learn to spin? I don't mind investing in another blade that has a bigger first toepick but still has a 7ft radius instead of 8?
Another difference is that my previous Legacy 8 blades were size 10.25, while this Coro Ace blade needed to be a 10 to fit this boot. Help

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In your instance, the size of the toepick is not the issue. The Coronation Ace has a rounder spin rocker and higher heel lift than the Legacy 8. Next time you're on the ice, stand near the boards, shoulders square to the boards as if you were going to skate along the boards (but just stand, not skate). Hold the hand closest to the boards against the sill to steady yourself. Keep one blade planted firmly on the ice. Now rock the other blade forward until the bottom (drag) pick touches the ice. You will notice that your heel is lifted more with the Coronation Ace than you were with the Legacy 8. Alternate feet and repeat. You need to get used to this increased heel lift. The change in boots might also have an effect on your final foot orientation. If you continue to have problems, you can talk to your tech about repositioning the blades a bit.

Last edited: