Blade recs for an old skater getting back into it? | Golden Skate

Blade recs for an old skater getting back into it?

TQB

Rinkside
Hello!
I skated as a kid until I was in my late teens. Never competitively and I never tested (family drama - suffice to say if I'd stuck with ballet mom would have paid for whatever I wanted). My last pair of Riedell Royals still fit, and I would skate in them whenever I went out recreationally. For the past 25 years or so, i've mostly just shown off tricks for friends and taught my kids to skate, etc. I've always wanted to get back into lessons, but never made the time. The local rink and club are literally 10 minutes from my home and finally a year ago I signed up. Between the "rust" on my skills and the COVID shutdown (i was off the ice from March to October), I am just now feeling like I'm re-establishing my skills and am consistently landing all singles except for lutz. I don't have super aggressive goals, but I would like to do an axel and basic doubles. I was always a better jumper than spinner, so I'm really focusing on bringing my spinning skills up as they lag way behind my jumps. I'm skating in our little ice show in the spring (virus permitting!).

Anyway, it's beyond obvious that my old skates are a joke and I am upgrading. We have a good local fitter - I've been reading all these posts about fitters pushing one brand over another, and our guy does NOT. In fact, it's the opposite - I'm struggling to get him to make any recommendations, he's just super happy to do whatever I want. But as it turns out, Riedells are backordered like 8 weeks - other than the Vega. He was able to get me an Edea Chorus and they felt pretty good. I mean, OBVIOUSLY these lovely skates feel amazing after skating in my old boots for so long! My feet are average-to-narrow width with high arches, right is slightly larger than left. The Chorus boot felt great on the left the whole time i had it on. After wearing for 15 minutes my right definitely started to feel like OK, these are brand new skates - a little sore/crampy in the inside/back of the ankle. I'm leaning towards going with them because they are 1) available, and 2) my nieces who skate and my new coach all switched from Riedell to Edea and love them.

Which brings me to the next question, which is blades. My coach loves the Coronation Ace, which is a 7' rocker. Skate guy said the Jackson Protege XP (8') would also be good. I do have a weird tendency to rock backwards and I'm reading posts about the shorter rocker that make me worried this will be an issue. I am also just learning what all of this means because my parents made all these choices for me the last time!

Does anyone have an advice as to blade choice, or any thoughts on the boot situation? How about the Vega - I am leery because literally no one I know has these.

Thank you!
TQB

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I’m not an expert by a long stretch but I do have some recent experience choosing my daughters skates and blades. I’d personally go with a coronation ace. They’ll more likely give you the spin rocker you said you were wanting.

As far as Edea, if you decide to go with them, consider an insole for your high arches. Also take advantage of the custom molding they can give you.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello!
I skated as a kid until I was in my late teens. Never competitively and I never tested (family drama - suffice to say if I'd stuck with ballet mom would have paid for whatever I wanted). My last pair of Riedell Royals still fit, and I would skate in them whenever I went out recreationally. For the past 25 years or so, i've mostly just shown off tricks for friends and taught my kids to skate, etc. I've always wanted to get back into lessons, but never made the time. The local rink and club are literally 10 minutes from my home and finally a year ago I signed up. Between the "rust" on my skills and the COVID shutdown (i was off the ice from March to October), I am just now feeling like I'm re-establishing my skills and am consistently landing all singles except for lutz. I don't have super aggressive goals, but I would like to do an axel and basic doubles. I was always a better jumper than spinner, so I'm really focusing on bringing my spinning skills up as they lag way behind my jumps. I'm skating in our little ice show in the spring (virus permitting!).

Anyway, it's beyond obvious that my old skates are a joke and I am upgrading. We have a good local fitter - I've been reading all these posts about fitters pushing one brand over another, and our guy does NOT. In fact, it's the opposite - I'm struggling to get him to make any recommendations, he's just super happy to do whatever I want. But as it turns out, Riedells are backordered like 8 weeks - other than the Vega. He was able to get me an Edea Chorus and they felt pretty good. I mean, OBVIOUSLY these lovely skates feel amazing after skating in my old boots for so long! My feet are average-to-narrow width with high arches, right is slightly larger than left. The Chorus boot felt great on the left the whole time i had it on. After wearing for 15 minutes my right definitely started to feel like OK, these are brand new skates - a little sore/crampy in the inside/back of the ankle. I'm leaning towards going with them because they are 1) available, and 2) my nieces who skate and my new coach all switched from Riedell to Edea and love them.

Which brings me to the next question, which is blades. My coach loves the Coronation Ace, which is a 7' rocker. Skate guy said the Jackson Protege XP (8') would also be good. I do have a weird tendency to rock backwards and I'm reading posts about the shorter rocker that make me worried this will be an issue. I am also just learning what all of this means because my parents made all these choices for me the last time!

Does anyone have an advice as to blade choice, or any thoughts on the boot situation? How about the Vega - I am leery because literally no one I know has these.

Thank you!
TQB
For blade, Coronation Ace or MK Professional. For boot, I'm concerned about Edea for you because they usually don't play well with high arches, I know bc I've worn or tested pretty much every brand of boot and style of blade in my career and otherwise.

Is there any other brand your fitter has other than Jackson and Riedell? I'm thinking you would be a good candidate for Risport.

TQB

Rinkside
For blade, Coronation Ace or MK Professional. For boot, I'm concerned about Edea for you because they usually don't play well with high arches, I know bc I've worn or tested pretty much every brand of boot and style of blade in my career and otherwise.

Is there any other brand your fitter has other than Jackson and Riedell? I'm thinking you would be a good candidate for Risport.
Yes, he'll sell pretty much anything and definitely Risport. I confess, I don't know anyone personally who wears them and didn't know much about them, so wound up focusing on Edea and Riedell. Skate guy suggests that he uses the Riedell footbed R-fit kits and can take care of the arch. Do you think that's reasonable or should I be wary? (Full disclosure, i've been reading your responses to other skaters all day and was hoping to hear what you had to say!)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I have high arches and gave Risport a go on the advice of Ic3Rabbit. Heaven. Just heaven. Really, really happy with my new boots.

As to blades, I'd normally be recommending Coronation Ace or MK Professional, but you could also consider MK Gold Star. They're a higher level blade and often recommended to people who have no trouble with their jumps but find spinning more of a challenge. I've recently changed to them and am loving spinning on them. I don't jump these days so can't comment on that aspect.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, he'll sell pretty much anything and definitely Risport. I confess, I don't know anyone personally who wears them and didn't know much about them, so wound up focusing on Edea and Riedell. Skate guy suggests that he uses the Riedell footbed R-fit kits and can take care of the arch. Do you think that's reasonable or should I be wary? (Full disclosure, i've been reading your responses to other skaters all day and was hoping to hear what you had to say!)

I have high arches and gave Risport a go on the advice of Ic3Rabbit. Heaven. Just heaven. Really, really happy with my new boots.

As to blades, I'd normally be recommending Coronation Ace or MK Professional, but you could also consider MK Gold Star. They're a higher level blade and often recommended to people who have no trouble with their jumps but find spinning more of a challenge. I've recently changed to them and am loving spinning on them. I don't jump these days so can't comment on that aspect.
I'm going to say try Risport. I can suggest specific boots for you, if you'd like. IDK that I'd wait for the Riedells, and not the Vega.
I'm also going to agree with @WednesdayMarch that the MK Gold Star would be a better blade that would work for you.

If you need anything else, my inbox is open or feel free to ask here too, and thank you so much for the compliment!:thank:

Good luck! :)

TQB

Rinkside
I'm going to say try Risport. I can suggest specific boots for you, if you'd like. IDK that I'd wait for the Riedells, and not the Vega.
I'm also going to agree with @WednesdayMarch that the MK Gold Star would be a better blade that would work for you.

If you need anything else, my inbox is open or feel free to ask here too, and thank you so much for the compliment!:thank:

Good luck! :)
I’d love your recommendation for a risport model. I am 5’5”, 135lbs. My coach thinks I’ll be doing an axel pretty soon and I’m working hard on correcting lazy habits like not bending knees and ankles enough. THanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’d love your recommendation for a risport model. I am 5’5”, 135lbs. My coach thinks I’ll be doing an axel pretty soon and I’m working hard on correcting lazy habits like not bending knees and ankles enough. THanks!
Because you're an adult, I'd suggest the RF3 Pro. They just redid their line-up of boots and took a few models out that I would have suggested in the past. You could get away with an Antares, but that would be personal choice. The RF3 Pro would take you into doubles, and as I previously mentioned, being an adult would more than likely be stiff enough and also last you a bit longer than a lower model, it's a 60 stiffness. The Antares is a 40-45 and I'm not sure would be stiff enough, but that would be up to your own as well as your fitters discretion.

If you need anything else, let me know!