Blades are dull even though I got them sharpened a week ago. *PROBLEM IS FIXED!! More information below | Golden Skate

Blades are dull even though I got them sharpened a week ago. *PROBLEM IS FIXED!! More information below

esfir_iceskater

Spectator
Hi! So today I went skating after coming back from a week-long vacation and noticed that my blades were extremely slippery and dull. The weird thing is that I got them sharpened a couple of days before I left for my trip and they felt perfect. Is this normal? or is something wrong? Maybe it's because my blades sat unused for the whole week, I don't know. Have any of you guys experienced this phenomenon? Please help!

-Thanks! :)

*edit: Hey guys! Thanks for replying to my question everyone! I went back to my local sharpener and he found that one of my blades was loose. He fixed it and re-sharpened my blades for free, which was really kind of him! I went skating on them the next day and they felt perfect! I think that the loose blade was causing the problems I was experiencing, especially since the blade that was loose is on my landing leg. Hopefully, if anyone has this problem in the future will benefit from this information!

Last edited:

cl2

Final Flight
This happens sometimes. Get them sharpened again and if it happens again, talk to your tech.
Does it really? That is news to me. What would make it go dull just from sitting around? My skates were left unused for a year (thanks, covid) and the blades were still perfectly fine. Sure, there was maybe some mild rust that did not affect the edges. I had sharpened it just before the covid lockdowns , and I didn't even have to sharpen it when I resumed skating.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does it really? That is news to me. What would make it go dull just from sitting around? My skates were left unused for a year (thanks, covid) and the blades were still perfectly fine. Sure, there was maybe some mild rust that did not affect the edges. I had sharpened it just before the covid lockdowns , and I didn't even have to sharpen it when I resumed skating.
There are so many reasons. Sometimes if they get moved they get dulled, rust does affect edges a lot though some people don't seem to notice (jealous), and many more.

1111bm

Final Flight
This happens sometimes. Get them sharpened again and if it happens again, talk to your tech.
Does it really? That is news to me. What would make it go dull just from sitting around? My skates were left unused for a year (thanks, covid) and the blades were still perfectly fine.

I though that maybe it sometimes happens because of burrs, that are accidentally left on the blade after a hasty sharpening job? Are burrs also a thing when sharpening blades? I don't actually know tbh.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I though that maybe it sometimes happens because of burrs, that are accidentally left on the blade after a hasty sharpening job? Are burrs also a thing when sharpening blades? I don't actually know tbh.
If you have burrs left on your blade after sharpening - or have a hasty sharpening job - the you need to find a better sharpener!

I've had to have my blades ground twice in less than a week before. They felt fine the first time but not the second. Turns out the guy sharpening them had treated them as if they were hockey skates. Lesson learned. Never went there again!

1111bm

Final Flight
If you have burrs left on your blade after sharpening - or have a hasty sharpening job - the you need to find a better sharpener!

I've had to have my blades ground twice in less than a week before. They felt fine the first time but not the second. Turns out the guy sharpening them had treated them as if they were hockey skates. Lesson learned. Never went there again!
Just wanna make sure that I wasn't talking about myself ;) that was just a hypothetical scenario, finding a possible explanation for why a blade would suddenly turn dull again.

Hm, do you know how exactly sharpening hockey blades differs from figure skating blades? We've only been warned that an inexperienced sharpener, used to hockey blades, can mess up your rocker (I assume the spin rocker?). But I haven't heard of any other differences that would actually affect the sharpness of a blade?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It was 40 years ago but I believe it was the ROH that was the problem. They were a really shallow grind. I'm not expert on that kind of thing, though. Other than that one time, I've been fortunate enough to always have an expert grind my blades.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
*edit: Hey guys! Thanks for replying to my question everyone! I went back to my local sharpener and he found that one of my blades was loose. He fixed it and re-sharpened my blades for free, which was really kind of him! I went skating on them the next day and they felt perfect! I think that the loose blade was causing the problems I was experiencing, especially since the blade that was loose is on my landing leg. Hopefully, if anyone has this problem in the future will benefit from this information!
Are you skating on a temporary mount? Or are all the holes in the blade plate filled with screws?

Sibelius

On the Ice
A really good sharpener will do a complete inspection of the blades and screws (tight and secure, not rusting) every time they sharpen your blades. A loose blade after a sharpening should not happen.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Are you skating on a temporary mount? Or are all the holes in the blade plate filled with screws?
Usually temp mounts tend to be 4 screws from what I've seen (to check there is nothing wrong with the blade and it's mounted correctly) - perm mounts often don't use all the holes for multiple reasons (although many do fill all holes).