Blades of Glory promo! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Blades of Glory promo!

gsrossano

Final Flight
I don't think we know enough about this movie to predict if it will be good or bad, or have a good influence on skating or bad. Sounds like everybody is just projecting their own hopes/feelings onto the movie. I was told by someone who worked on the film, though, it is kind of dumb. (But then It is a Will Ferrell movie after all.) Anyway, we will find out soon enough.

Here in LA the movie doesn't have much of a buzz going. I have seen/heard more about the movie on the iceskating chat sites than on TV/radio/billboards/etc. Doesn't seem to be much promotion at all, with just two weeks to opening. What about elsewhere? Anybody seen any serious promotion anywhere?

Last edited:

kyla2

Final Flight
Patronizing Joe??

Joe we are all entitled to our opinions, and God knows, everyone has one. However, I am beginning to see that not everyone has a sense of humor. Jeesh.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I seem to be seing a lot of promo for this movie... a lot more than Ice Princess. It's on all the buses, posters in the rink, a large advertisment in teh movie theater...TV.. all the usual stuff.

We just got the new Time Magazine and it has a 4-page (!!) story on Will Ferrell featuring this movie. Including a hilarious photo of one of his costumes. Turns out the script is 30 years old - no one wanted to make it!

I am definitely going to see it and drag the bf. He loves silly humor and I think all the insider jokes will be hilarious.

Jhar55

Medalist
I'll be going to see it and just hope the parts they pre show aren't the only funny parts. I am looking at it as a fun spoof of skating and not taking it serious.

Johar

Medalist
I'll watch for a good laugh. It's not meant to be taken seriously, and what sport hasn't been spoofed by a movie?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
....., and what sport hasn't been spoofed by a movie?
I even saw something on Curling the other day.
I anticipate people will take this just as serious as "Airplane" depicted life in the airline industry.

They could easily make a spoof of curling. All those ladies shouting "hurry! hard! hurry!" :laugh:

Johar

Medalist
I'm a big Thoroughbred racing fan and former member of a racing partnership. Even "serious" movies about racing tend to be peppered with mistakes and scenearios that could never happen.

I just take it all in stride and laugh.

heyang

Record Breaker
My former boyfriend is really looking forward to this movie. He swore he would never watch ice skating again after SLC 2002. For a month now, he's been talking about this movie!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
All I know is that my local sports station is interviewing Will Ferrell to explain figure skating to them, and that scares me.

kyla2

Final Flight
Just So.....

Just so no one feels picked on by this movie, Will Ferrell's next movie is about basketball, complete with an afro. Can't wait for that one either.

anya_angie

Final Flight
I'm seeing this movie advertized EVERYWHERE now. Every other commercial break on Adult Swim, Nickelodeon and of course constant ads during Worlds. I was looking forward to it but now I'm worrying it might suffer from overkill.

And upon reading what happens during Sasha's cameo... *cringe* I SO don't need to see that!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I hope no one gives that away ^.

My guess from the trailer of Nancy K and Chaz, it must be something perpetuating the "pigatude" of men.

Also something I was not getting at first regarding this movies setting is that it is PRO comps. And they can make just as much fun of pro comps as they want IMO.:yes:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Well said, but this film is about making money for the producers et al and the protagonists. It is a comedy spoof of figure skating, and I think the macho men who see it will be in hysterics taking a manly look at this sport. They will take it as serious fun. Yeah. They will think this is what figure skating is all about.

I'm not so sure every sport needs a sense of humor as much as I believe every sport has a uniform and not sequins and spangles.

Joe

:laugh: :laugh:

Since my husband is all about seeing this movie (he will be going alone...) I'm inclined to agree with Joe here... skating doesn't inspire the love that say baseball does and to many, espcially "manly" men, this is simply another excuse to dismiss this as a silly non-sport with more "characters" vs. encouraging the love...

I do think, however, that skating needs all the exposure it can get and its cool to see skaters participating, but is this really the way to go? Not so sure about that... and the fact that it stars Will Farrell makes it move straight to the top of my "Not in this lifetime will I spend 8 bucks of my hard earned money" list... :)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Personally, Will Ferrell makes me physically ill (and Jon Heder doesn't do that much more), but I would like to see this, tho will wait for it to come out on DVD. It looks like it'll be quite fun. I want to see it for the costumes ALONE; from what I can see they seem to parodying every bad costume that's come along in the last 20 years. Wonder it'll get an Oscar nomination for Best Costuming???

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not a big fan of Will or Jon... I will wait for it to come out on DVD and then see what skating fans felt of the movie before I even care...

as for it being professional competitions - I say knock of the hate for those that are pros... most of them are better SKATERS than the new crop anyway :p

there are some funny scenes shown on the trailors, but it's been my experience all the jokes are shown on the trailors and the crap is left for the screen

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Just so no one feels picked on by this movie, Will Ferrell's next movie is about basketball, complete with an afro. Can't wait for that one either.

HA! And that's just what my husband deserves... that'll teach him to be a fan of Will Ferrell's.... cause I know my caveman and the afro will send. him. right. over. the. edge.

Yay!