Boots for adults for learning jumps? | Golden Skate

Boots for adults for learning jumps?

pikachoose12

Spectator
I am learning toe loop, half flip, and really loving the sport. I am an adult skater.

I have been told to get the Jackson Freestyle next, but I really find Jackson’s to not be comfortable for my feet (even after many punch outs, the boots KILL my arches!) I think I have borderline wide feet perhaps, but I just need a boot that has more room in the arch area.

I went to a reputable fitter last time and did not have a good experience, so I need to research before my next fitting. Anyone have recommendations for boots for adults learning to jump?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am learning toe loop, half flip, and really loving the sport. I am an adult skater.

I have been told to get the Jackson Freestyle next, but I really find Jackson’s to not be comfortable for my feet (even after many punch outs, the boots KILL my arches!) I think I have borderline wide feet perhaps, but I just need a boot that has more room in the arch area.

I went to a reputable fitter last time and did not have a good experience, so I need to research before my next fitting. Anyone have recommendations for boots for adults learning to jump?
Hi and welcome.
Height/weight/foot style/arches (high/regular/low/none) info would help further suggest a boot to you.

I'm thinking you're probably (from the little you wrote) going to want to try a Risport, but until I have the rest of the info from you I just requested I can't give you boot style suggestion.

pikachoose12

Spectator
Hi and welcome.
Height/weight/foot style/arches (high/regular/low/none) info would help further suggest a boot to you.

I'm thinking you're probably (from the little you wrote) going to want to try a Risport, but until I have the rest of the info from you I just requested I can't give you boot style suggestion.
I’m about 5’3, 125-130 pounds, regular arch.

pikachoose12

Spectator
Why style foot do you have? That's the biggest decider lol.

foot-shapes-foot-shapes-1296x1183-body-1296x1185.jpg

Mine closely resembles the first picture in the top row. Like a downward slope.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
foot-shapes-foot-shapes-1296x1183-body-1296x1185.jpg

Mine closely resembles the first picture in the top row. Like a downward slope.
So your foot is Egyptian style.

Okay, if you have a normal arch IDK why Jackson is causing an issue, you should be okay with them.
Again, you can try Risport RF3 or Royal Pro (try both on b/c they are made and fit different).
You could also try Graf (F4000 or Richmond Special).

Blade wise look at MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace (traditional not lite or rev).

Good luck!

pikachoose12

Spectator
Thanks! The skate shop didn't have the Royal Pros, and I am debating going to another shop. Is there a concern about overbooting? The skate tech said that these are good for doubles and triples and spoke about the stiffness ratings (which I thought were basically pointless). I am wondering if I should ask about the Electra??

silverlily1

On the Ice
Thanks! The skate shop didn't have the Royal Pros, and I am debating going to another shop. Is there a concern about overbooting? The skate tech said that these are good for doubles and triples and spoke about the stiffness ratings (which I thought were basically pointless). I am wondering if I should ask about the Electra??
So something that Jackson does but a lot of other companies don't is that Jackson produces a chart that compares weight and jumping ability and boot models. If you google Jackson fit chart you'll find it. It shows that as the person gets heavier they need a stiffer boot to do the same things. In essence, 60 lb kid can do doubles or even possibly triples in a boot that would be too soft for a 130 lb person doing singles. And their boot could be too soft for a 250 lb person doing lower skills.

All skates are like that, but only Jackson seems to provide that extra information.

Most of the people doing doubles and triples aren't adults. Yes, some are. But many aren't. And the competitive and professional ones who are adults know their needs by the time they get to that point. So the boot recommendations are designed for kids working their way up through the competitive stream.

Height matters because a person who is short at a certain weight will put less strain on a boot than the taller skater at the same weight. If you remember physics, the tall people have a "longer lever."

For adults we have to look at the stiffness and skill level and skater weight and height, and those here with the skills can recommend a boot stiffness based on that. If the fitter only judges based on skill level as per the manufacturer and doesn't take skater weight into account, the skater could end up with a boot that is too soft for their needs.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Go to another shop, seems they don't understand that as an adult and considering height/weight here that Royal Pro/RF3's are NOT overbooting for you. For a child yes, but not for you. Electra won't be stiff enough and support you for long enough.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States

This is slightly off topic, so my apologies - but I'm curious, which Jackson boots are you skating in now? Are they regular, or wide width?

I don't believe Jackson makes their lower-level boots in wide widths (which is true of many other manufacturers as well!) - so if you need a wide boot and you're skating in something like the Mystique, that could be part of the problem.

There are a lot more options in Jacksons once you step up into their "intermediate" tier of skates (basically any skate with a model number in the 2000s - the Flex, Evo, Elle, Entre, Freestyle, Debut, and Premiere, off the top of my head). These boots are all available in multiple widths, and are built using Jackson's "Elite" last (meaning they have the same basic shape and a similar fit to their advanced boots).

I definitely think you should pursue @Ic3Rabbit 's suggestions of Risport and Graf - but, when you go in for a fitting, I think it couldn't hurt to also take the time to try on a 2000 series Jackson, just to see how you like it (that is of course assuming you're not already in a 2000 series boot!). If you find a shop that sells all three so you can compare, even better! :)

At your size and level, I'd suggest the Debut - I think the Entre/Freestyle are probably about the minimum you could safely skate in right now, so you'll get more time out of the Debut as you advance.

Best of luck!

pikachoose12

Spectator
This is slightly off topic, so my apologies - but I'm curious, which Jackson boots are you skating in now? Are they regular, or wide width?

I don't believe Jackson makes their lower-level boots in wide widths (which is true of many other manufacturers as well!) - so if you need a wide boot and you're skating in something like the Mystique, that could be part of the problem.

There are a lot more options in Jacksons once you step up into their "intermediate" tier of skates (basically any skate with a model number in the 2000s - the Flex, Evo, Elle, Entre, Freestyle, Debut, and Premiere, off the top of my head). These boots are all available in multiple widths, and are built using Jackson's "Elite" last (meaning they have the same basic shape and a similar fit to their advanced boots).

I definitely think you should pursue @Ic3Rabbit 's suggestions of Risport and Graf - but, when you go in for a fitting, I think it couldn't hurt to also take the time to try on a 2000 series Jackson, just to see how you like it (that is of course assuming you're not already in a 2000 series boot!). If you find a shop that sells all three so you can compare, even better! :)

At your size and level, I'd suggest the Debut - I think the Entre/Freestyle are probably about the minimum you could safely skate in right now, so you'll get more time out of the Debut as you advance.

Best of luck!
Thanks so much! I am in the Jackson Evo. I am looking for a skate shop that sells all brands in the NYC/NJ/Philadelphia area. This is super helpful!!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks so much! I am in the Jackson Evo. I am looking for a skate shop that sells all brands in the NYC/NJ/Philadelphia area. This is super helpful!!
Go to Ice House in Hackensack NJ. They'll help you.