Boots with strong ankle support for narrow heel | Golden Skate

Boots with strong ankle support for narrow heel

silverlily1

On the Ice
I've been skating on Jackson Freestyle 7.5W. I started skating again (after skating until I was 9) last year at 38. I have single salchow, toe loop, loop, flips consistently and am working on lutzes and beginner axel prep exercises. The coach expects me to move on to doubles when I get there.

I was poorly fitted for my current skates. My feet are not wide, and my heels are narrow. I supposedly measured at a 7, as well, but my toes were hitting the end of the skate. I'm not getting the support I need without tightening my skates at and above the ankle (all the way to the top) as tightly as I can possibly tighten them. Literally creating bruises on my shin and squishing the tongue to nothing at the top. Choking my feet. And then they loosen (far too quickly and too often) and my heel can move and I can't jump properly. I like strong ankle support, but this isn't the way. I'm tired of fighting with my skates. I even tried two jellies at once tonight (after one jelly stopped helping) and still had no ankle support almost immediately. So I have no well-fitting skate to compare. But I most likely need to actually get a skate that fits, and I'm at a different level than I was when I purchased the Freestyles, with different future expectations.

I'm 5'7-5'8, 135 lb. My feet supinate, I have an orient-shaped foot (less common, but there are photos online), my arches are medium to high-mid. Medium to narrow foot, narrower heel. I skate about 5 hours per week now, spread over 3 days. I also have EDS, so loose joints can be a concern and thus this lack of ankle support is just that much worse.

I'm guessing Edea isn't for me, and I'm fine with that, but I'm not tied to any particular brand. Just because I wore Jackson, poorly, doesn't mean I need to keep doing so. The nearest decent store sells Edea, Jackson, Risport, and Reidell.

I mentioned moving up at least two boot levels (because Debut at my weight isn't for doubles and I'm already on lutzes), and she (my coach) was worried about my getting something too stiff. But I think maybe she's just not used to helping adults with this as much. I was thinking Jackson Premier, or Risport Royal Pro or RF3 Pro or...?

What boots should I be looking at?

Last edited:

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
honestly, it sounds like you know your foot well, and the nearby shop has lots of options. I’d probably go test some boots out, and see how they feel. I’ve got apparently looser than average (but not EDS level) joints, and like a stiff boot too. I’m of the opinion that while you can overboot as adults, we do have to take into account things like our weight (because most traditional skaters learning single jumps are much smaller than us!), looser joints, and leg strength.

This is a bit older, I believe, but I found quite useful. Except I have Orient/Celtic feet so not so much. I wear RF3s btw). https://skaterslanding.com/pages/comparing-figure-skates-by-fit-design

silverlily1

On the Ice
honestly, it sounds like you know your foot well, and the nearby shop has lots of options. I’d probably go test some boots out, and see how they feel. I’ve got apparently looser than average (but not EDS level) joints, and like a stiff boot too. I’m of the opinion that while you can overboot as adults, we do have to take into account things like our weight (because most traditional skaters learning single jumps are much smaller than us!), looser joints, and leg strength.

This is a bit older, I believe, but I found quite useful. Except I have Orient/Celtic feet so not so much. I wear RF3s btw). https://skaterslanding.com/pages/comparing-figure-skates-by-fit-design
Thanks. I found that page but had no clue how to apply it, partially because it doesn't mention my foot shape, partially because I just don't understand it well enough. I used to sell shoes, but skates are a different beast, and I already tried relying on a fitter once, with bad results. So I'm trying to understand a little better where I should be encouraging things to get a decent fit this time.

The "local shop" is a 3-hour ferry trip (expensive!) and minimum of 1 hour drive from me, so I want to get this right this time.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've been skating on Jackson Freestyle 7.5W. I started skating again (after skating until I was 9) last year at 38. I have single salchow, toe loop, loop, flips consistently and am working on lutzes and beginner axel prep exercises. The coach expects me to move on to doubles when I get there.

I was poorly fitted for my current skates. My feet are not wide, and my heels are narrow. I supposedly measured at a 7, as well, but my toes were hitting the end of the skate. I'm not getting the support I need without tightening my skates at and above the ankle (all the way to the top) as tightly as I can possibly tighten them. Literally creating bruises on my shin and squishing the tongue to nothing at the top. Choking my feet. And then they loosen (far too quickly and too often) and my heel can move and I can't jump properly. I like strong ankle support, but this isn't the way. I'm tired of fighting with my skates. I even tried two jellies at once tonight (after one jelly stopped helping) and still had no ankle support almost immediately. So I have no well-fitting skate to compare. But I most likely need to actually get a skate that fits, and I'm at a different level than I was when I purchased the Freestyles, with different future expectations.

I'm 5'7-5'8, 135 lb. My feet supinate, I have an orient-shaped foot (less common, but there are photos online), my arches are medium to high-mid. Medium to narrow foot, narrower heel. I skate about 5 hours per week now, spread over 3 days. I also have EDS, so loose joints can be a concern and thus this lack of ankle support is just that much worse.

I'm guessing Edea isn't for me, and I'm fine with that, but I'm not tied to any particular brand. Just because I wore Jackson, poorly, doesn't mean I need to keep doing so. The nearest decent store sells Edea, Jackson, Risport, and Reidell.

I mentioned moving up at least two boot levels (because Debut at my weight isn't for doubles and I'm already on lutzes), and she (my coach) was worried about my getting something too stiff. But I think maybe she's just not used to helping adults with this as much. I was thinking Jackson Premier, or Risport Royal Pro or RF3 Pro or...?

What boots should I be looking at?
Hi. Depending on how narrow your heel is in comparison to your toebox you may have to look at Rapid/Semi-Custom. I would definitely start with stock boots and look at Riedell and Graf if you have the chance.
Riedell: Motion 255, Flair 910
Graf: Richmond Special, F4000

You could also look at Risport either Royal Pro or RF3 Pro.

Pair these with a traditional intermediate level blade: MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace.

Good luck!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi. Depending on how narrow your heel is in comparison to your toebox you may have to look at Rapid/Semi-Custom. I would definitely start with stock boots and look at Riedell and Graf if you have the chance.

Pair these with a traditional intermediate level blade: MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace.

Good luck!
Agreed. I also have EDS and have always worn boots supposedly too stiff for my skill level, to compensate for loose ankle joints. I have small, narrow feet with even narrower heels, and very high arches. I'm wearing Risports now and they fit perfectly. I had a chance recently to try out a pair of Graf Richmond Specials a friend who takes my size had just bought, and quite liked them also. However, the skate shop I use doesn't carry Graf so I'll be sticking with Risport for the foreseeable future, for the convenience if they need tinkering with at the shop as they wear down. I did notice in a description of the Graf boot that they were not recommended for tall skaters, but without further explanation for this. It didn't say if it meant the men's or women's boots or both, so "how tall is tall" would be my next question if I were your height and considering Grafs. I'm shortish at 5'4", so it wouldn't be a factor for me. I don't know if 5'8" would be considered tall? My non-skating sister-in-law is 5'11" so she's definitely in that category.

I've always used MK Pro blades, but Coronation Ace are just as good. Both are dependable, widely-used blades with long histories of popularity.

silverlily1

On the Ice

Good luck!
Thanks for your response! I've just figured out that apparently the only Riedell the shop has is Motion 255 in size 8A, so I guess Riedell is probably also out. It says single jumps for adults for that skate - is the boot sufficient to try to learn doubles (if they do happen to have some after all)?

No chance at Graf here. I guess I'll make sure to try the Risports, since they have both of those models.

I measured my foot based on the Risport fitting tables and I'm a little smaller than the AA measurement (less margin for error on that width measurement because it's all the way around the foot), so I'm guessing AA is the right width in that brand. Which makes the fact that I'm in a wide that much more egregious.

I shouldn't have any trouble getting one of those blades - are they much different from one another? Is there one that's an easier transition from the Jackson blade? I have a strong upright spin but am wobbly on the back spin (how much is my position and how much is poorly fitting boots?), and am still trying to improve my camel spin, though it's in my solo (that one's issues are almost certainly partially related to the boot issue, as it's harder to get on the outside edge in the wide boot). I sometimes drag the back of my blade on my back spin while wobbling (throwing me off completely), but that might get better just by switching from 8' blades to 7'. Is there a downside to the light versions of those blades (why choose not-light if everyone wants lighter skates)?

Thanks

Last edited:

silverlily1

On the Ice
Agreed. I also have EDS and have always worn boots supposedly too stiff for my skill level, to compensate for loose ankle joints. I have small, narrow feet with even narrower heels, and very high arches. I'm wearing Risports now and they fit perfectly. I had a chance recently to try out a pair of Graf Richmond Specials a friend who takes my size had just bought, and quite liked them also. However, the skate shop I use doesn't carry Graf so I'll be sticking with Risport for the foreseeable future, for the convenience if they need tinkering with at the shop as they wear down. I did notice in a description of the Graf boot that they were not recommended for tall skaters, but without further explanation for this. It didn't say if it meant the men's or women's boots or both, so "how tall is tall" would be my next question if I were your height and considering Grafs. I'm shortish at 5'4", so it wouldn't be a factor for me. I don't know if 5'8" would be considered tall? My non-skating sister-in-law is 5'11" so she's definitely in that category.

I've always used MK Pro blades, but Coronation Ace are just as good. Both are dependable, widely-used blades with long histories of popularity.
Thank you for responding on the EDS aspect. It looks like Risports will probably be the most accessible of the listed skates. Which Risports are you wearing and at what skating level?

I appreciate the note on Graf, but they're just not available here.

What do you find are the strengths of your blades and your boots?

Thanks

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Thank you for responding on the EDS aspect. It looks like Risports will probably be the most accessible of the listed skates. Which Risports are you wearing and at what skating level?

What do you find are the strengths of your blades and your boots?

Thanks
I'm wearing Risport RF1 Elite boots, size 220? 225? (I'd have to get them out and look) in an AA width, with a stiffness rating of 90 which is way over what I need at my age. I was a senior pairs competitor in the 1970s and early 1980s, when most pairs except the really top-ranked ones only did double jumps and triple throws and twists. Obviously I'm too old to do all that now, but my recreational partner, a former senior pairs competitor also, and I are like old firehorses who alert when they hear the alarm go off ;). Our coach is trying to get us to do free dance programs where the lifts are safer and there's no jumps, but if she's not around to scold us and we're having a good day, we certainly do all the standard pairs lifts, and I love throws and twist lifts so we do doubles for those including throw double Axels. (My partner has really good technique for the tosses and gives me a lot of lift with a nice soft catch for a twist.) We don't jump much, mostly singles but my favourite has always been the Axel and I do occasionally manage double edge jumps since I always preferred them. And we do all the death spirals and pairs spins. So I'm kind of a mixed-level skater these days. I just like the familiar feel of very stiff boots.

As for blades, I can't compare the MK Pros to other brands and styles because I've very rarely tried others unless I had to borrow someone else's skates briefly for some reason. Like the stiff boots, those blades are so familiar under my feet. The picks are the right length and the posts are the right height for me. I can spin on them where I wobble or wander on any others I've tried, so the spin-spot must be in the right place for me, I guess. Or probably it's just because I learned all the moves on those blades.

I don't think I've given you much in the way of concrete advice, just wandered off down Memory Lane for a bit! And now it's almost 1 a.m. where I live so I really have to get to bed :bed:. Enjoy your new skates whatever you choose!

silverlily1

On the Ice
I'm wearing Risport RF1 Elite boots, size 220? 225? (I'd have to get them out and look) in an AA width, with a stiffness rating of 90 which is way over what I need at my age. I was a senior pairs competitor in the 1970s and early 1980s, when most pairs except the really top-ranked ones only did double jumps and triple throws and twists. Obviously I'm too old to do all that now, but my recreational partner, a former senior pairs competitor also, and I are like old firehorses who alert when they hear the alarm go off ;). Our coach is trying to get us to do free dance programs where the lifts are safer and there's no jumps, but if she's not around to scold us and we're having a good day, we certainly do all the standard pairs lifts, and I love throws and twist lifts so we do doubles for those including throw double Axels. (My partner has really good technique for the tosses and gives me a lot of lift with a nice soft catch for a twist.) We don't jump much, mostly singles but my favourite has always been the Axel and I do occasionally manage double edge jumps since I always preferred them. And we do all the death spirals and pairs spins. So I'm kind of a mixed-level skater these days. I just like the familiar feel of very stiff boots.

As for blades, I can't compare the MK Pros to other brands and styles because I've very rarely tried others unless I had to borrow someone else's skates briefly for some reason. Like the stiff boots, those blades are so familiar under my feet. The picks are the right length and the posts are the right height for me. I can spin on them where I wobble or wander on any others I've tried, so the spin-spot must be in the right place for me, I guess. Or probably it's just because I learned all the moves on those blades.

I don't think I've given you much in the way of concrete advice, just wandered off down Memory Lane for a bit! And now it's almost 1 a.m. where I live so I really have to get to bed :bed:. Enjoy your new skates whatever you choose!
Thank you. You gave context and facts, and I appreciate it.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for your response! I've just figured out that apparently the only Riedell the shop has is Motion 255 in size 8A, so I guess Riedell is probably also out. It says single jumps for adults for that skate - is the boot sufficient to try to learn doubles (if they do happen to have some after all)?

No chance at Graf here. I guess I'll make sure to try the Risports, since they have both of those models.

I measured my foot based on the Risport fitting tables and I'm a little smaller than the AA measurement (less margin for error on that width measurement because it's all the way around the foot), so I'm guessing AA is the right width in that brand. Which makes the fact that I'm in a wide that much more egregious.

I shouldn't have any trouble getting one of those blades - are they much different from one another? Is there one that's an easier transition from the Jackson blade? I have a strong upright spin but am wobbly on the back spin (how much is my position and how much is poorly fitting boots?), and am still trying to improve my camel spin, though it's in my solo (that one's issues are almost certainly partially related to the boot issue, as it's harder to get on the outside edge in the wide boot). I sometimes drag the back of my blade on my back spin while wobbling (throwing me off completely), but that might get better just by switching from 8' blades to 7'. Is there a downside to the light versions of those blades (why choose not-light if everyone wants lighter skates)?

Thanks
Okay any good fitter should be able to get in any boot for you as long as they carry that brand, so with the riedell boots I suggested they could get them in, also yes, I only gave you suggestions for boots that will be stiff enough for your height/weight and the jumps you're doing now and in the future (doubles).
As far as graf, where are you in the world and we (I) can suggest you a fitter that may have grafs.

Never suggest to measure your own foot b/c your measurements are more likely to be off (and yes that goes for width as well, let the fitter do it properly).

MK Pro or Coro Ace are pretty similar intermediate blades, standard blade though, no revs or lites. There is no reason for anyone but the most elite skaters to wear revs, b/c there are more downsides to them for beginner and intermediate skaters than there are benefits. Also all intermediate blades are 7ft rockers, you're not going to get one that's 8ft. The dragging of the back of your blade is more incorrect technique than 7ft/8ft rocker blade. As far as answering your questions of everyone wanting lighter skates--the blades really don't make a difference, and both blades and boots are much lighter than they used to be even 10-20 years ago.

Good luck!

silverlily1

On the Ice
Okay any good fitter should be able to get in any boot for you as long as they carry that brand, so with the riedell boots I suggested they could get them in, also yes, I only gave you suggestions for boots that will be stiff enough for your height/weight and the jumps you're doing now and in the future (doubles).
As far as graf, where are you in the world and we (I) can suggest you a fitter that may have grafs.

Never suggest to measure your own foot b/c your measurements are more likely to be off (and yes that goes for width as well, let the fitter do it properly).

MK Pro or Coro Ace are pretty similar intermediate blades, standard blade though, no revs or lites. There is no reason for anyone but the most elite skaters to wear revs, b/c there are more downsides to them for beginner and intermediate skaters than there are benefits. Also all intermediate blades are 7ft rockers, you're not going to get one that's 8ft. The dragging of the back of your blade is more incorrect technique than 7ft/8ft rocker blade. As far as answering your questions of everyone wanting lighter skates--the blades really don't make a difference, and both blades and boots are much lighter than they used to be even 10-20 years ago.

Good luck!
I'm on Vancouver Island in Canada. So the fitter I'm referring to is Skater's Edge in Coquitlam/Vancouver, which will take me about a full day trip to visit with two hours-long ferry rides plus wait times and travel and everything, if I'm lucky and no ferries get cancelled. Otherwise I'll have to spend the night somewhere.

I can't really go anywhere else that will be better. The shop in Campbell River fitted me for the current ones, so there's no way I'm going back there, and the one in Victoria is very low-inventory (run out of someone's house?), thus probably not helpful for being able to try stuff on. Those are the only ones on the island. There's another one in Vancouver (Cyclone Taylor's), but they have fewer options and my coach has advised not to go there because they've had some blade mounting problems recently. From what I've read in another recent post, Seattle has fewer options, but I'm not even sure if my passport's still valid, so that's not really an option. Nothing else is within reach.

I worry that the one in Vancouver may have chosen not to carry Riedell anymore, thus only having the one model and size.

I meant that my current Jackson blade (Aspire) is 8', so the 7' that those two blades are might help fix the issue a little.

You seem to be referring to "revs" interchangeably with lights. Are they the same thing? Because I was just asking about the light versions of the blades.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm on Vancouver Island in Canada. So the fitter I'm referring to is Skater's Edge in Coquitlam/Vancouver, which will take me about a full day trip to visit with two hours-long ferry rides plus wait times and travel and everything, if I'm lucky and no ferries get cancelled. Otherwise I'll have to spend the night somewhere.

I can't really go anywhere else that will be better. The shop in Campbell River fitted me for the current ones, so there's no way I'm going back there, and the one in Victoria is very low-inventory (run out of someone's house?), thus probably not helpful for being able to try stuff on. Those are the only ones on the island. There's another one in Vancouver (Cyclone Taylor's), but they have fewer options and my coach has advised not to go there because they've had some blade mounting problems recently. From what I've read in another recent post, Seattle has fewer options, but I'm not even sure if my passport's still valid, so that's not really an option. Nothing else is within reach.

I worry that the one in Vancouver may have chosen not to carry Riedell anymore, thus only having the one model and size.

I meant that my current Jackson blade (Aspire) is 8', so the 7' that those two blades are might help fix the issue a little.

You seem to be referring to "revs" interchangeably with lights. Are they the same thing? Because I was just asking about the light versions of the blades.
Revs and lites are the same thing, ones MK other is John Wilson. And ok, you are in Vancouver so I remember recommending shops up there. Sorry, busy and things here sometimes blur together after so much advice I've given. Regarding the Riedell, call the shop ahead and ask.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I was a senior pairs competitor in the 1970s and early 1980s,
we certainly do all the standard pairs lifts, and I love throws and twist lifts so we do doubles for those including throw double Axels.
Oh wow! Once a pairs girl always a pairs girl! 🤩
I need to tell my (non-skating) mum that a lady her age gets thrown across the ice on a regular basis. I think she'd either be greatly inspired or terrified :laugh:

Pardon for the off-topic post 😅
OP the other posters have great advice already. I'll just add that regarding Risport, RF models wrap the ankle a bit more snugly than Royal models so may be closer to what you're looking for.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh wow! Once a pairs girl always a pairs girl! 🤩
I need to tell my (non-skating) mum that a lady her age gets thrown across the ice on a regular basis. I think she'd either be greatly inspired or terrified :laugh:

Pardon for the off-topic post 😅
OP the other posters have great advice already. I'll just add that regarding Risport, RF models wrap the ankle a bit more snugly than Royal models so may be closer to what you're looking for.
I was told that about Risport RF models by the fitter when Jackson altered their boot last to something that no longer fit me, and I had to find something for a bony narrow foot with a high arch. I'd already been told that here, so I gave them a try and the advice was right. And I love the luxurious lining on the RF1 Elite!

As for still doing lifts, throws, and twists at my age, it helps having never had a serious fall or injury doing them. I've heard Barb Underhill say the same thing -- if no injury happens, no fear develops. The only pairs move that makes me a bit nervous is death spirals. Those picks on the man's boot are awfully close to my eyes, and they tend to fill the field of vision while I'm down there. Never actually had a partner's foot slip and got kicked in the head, but I've seen it happen to others. :eek: But I said in another thread awhile back that even other skaters think pairs girls are crazy. My partner and I were being interviewed once and the reporter said she would never want to do what I did, and my partner laughed: "You couldn't pay ME to do what she does!"

2sk8

Rinkside
If you are interested in considering GRAF, and are located in Canada, please feel free to message me. The boots are definitely available to you.

Also, there is no issue with height. Many quite tall skaters wear GRAF.

Any other questions on the brand, happy to assist.

silverlily1

On the Ice
I've started landing some lutzes and my camel spin is finally working and speeding up. Yay! And I'm landing axels in off-ice (which is very much just a first step - I was a gymnast way back when and crossing my legs sometimes doesn't happen as it should for skating). I'm still having trouble finding the sweet spot in my sit spin (though I've found it in the past), which makes my combo spin a challenge, but my change of foot in upright spin is much improved, too. And once I got my salchows under better control (I should have known better) my salchow-loop is now working much better. Which is good because competition is just around the corner - not allowed to spin in difficult positions at my competition level so I haven't been practicing my layback spin and stuff like that lately.

Sometimes I completely miss my pick. I have no idea why. I tried to take off into a waltz jump without passing over my pick yesterday, and boy, did I feel silly. I didn't fall, but my kid came over and asked, "What was THAT????" Sometimes happens on picked jumps as well. Ick.

I've been reading through the forum even more and wondering if it would be possible/appropriate/inappropriate to move to gold seal or gold star blades? It seems that with adults some do and some don't, and also the recommendation for adults at my skill level has often been that the freestyles and aspire xps should have been gone some time ago (right about at the skill level I got them at a year ago - go figure - all my single jumps in that time; I wish I'd had a coach last year to speed up progress and advise me on these skates sooner).

Kid is 14, a couple of inches shorter than me, about 120 lb, and wearing Competitors also with Aspire Xp blades. Same approximate skating level. I'm wondering if we should be looking at new skates for her, too, or if just a new blade would tide her over.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've started landing some lutzes and my camel spin is finally working and speeding up. Yay! And I'm landing axels in off-ice (which is very much just a first step - I was a gymnast way back when and crossing my legs sometimes doesn't happen as it should for skating). I'm still having trouble finding the sweet spot in my sit spin (though I've found it in the past), which makes my combo spin a challenge, but my change of foot in upright spin is much improved, too. And once I got my salchows under better control (I should have known better) my salchow-loop is now working much better. Which is good because competition is just around the corner - not allowed to spin in difficult positions at my competition level so I haven't been practicing my layback spin and stuff like that lately.

Sometimes I completely miss my pick. I have no idea why. I tried to take off into a waltz jump without passing over my pick yesterday, and boy, did I feel silly. I didn't fall, but my kid came over and asked, "What was THAT????" Sometimes happens on picked jumps as well. Ick.

I've been reading through the forum even more and wondering if it would be possible/appropriate/inappropriate to move to gold seal or gold star blades? It seems that with adults some do and some don't, and also the recommendation for adults at my skill level has often been that the freestyles and aspire xps should have been gone some time ago (right about at the skill level I got them at a year ago - go figure - all my single jumps in that time; I wish I'd had a coach last year to speed up progress and advise me on these skates sooner).

Kid is 14, a couple of inches shorter than me, about 120 lb, and wearing Competitors also with Aspire Xp blades. Same approximate skating level. I'm wondering if we should be looking at new skates for her, too, or if just a new blade would tide her over.
Both you and Daughter need to look into a good standard (traditional) intermediate blade MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace, no lites or Revs.

Neither of you need highest level of blades yet, just getting off the flat rocker XP blades will do wonders for your skating.

Her boots should be fine unless they are breaking down.

Good luck!

silverlily1

On the Ice
Both you and Daughter need to look into a good standard (traditional) intermediate blade MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace, no lites or Revs.

Neither of you need highest level of blades yet, just getting off the flat rocker XP blades will do wonders for your skating.

Her boots should be fine unless they are breaking down.

Good luck!
Thank you. We have an appointment for after the upcoming competition.

silverlily1

On the Ice
Update on how things went (we've skated once since purchase):

My daughter ended up with Royal Pros and Coronation Ace blades after trying those, Royal Primes, and Jackson Premiers. She loves how effortless her camel spins suddenly have become, but complains a bit about the stiffness. I told her it will take her a bit of time. The base stiffness of the Royal Pros isn't THAT much higher than that of the original stiffness of the Competitors she was in, they were just broken down a fair bit, and she needs that strength for her level anyway.

I tried Jackson 5300, RF3s, RF1, Royal Pro, Royal Prime, Ice Fly, and Chorus. The RF series has the wrong shape for my foot and crushed my smaller toes from the tips, even though I wanted to get leather boots originally. The Jackson boots were entirely the wrong shape for my foot. The Edea boots did not have the ankle support I wanted at all, in any direction, even though I was wearing a size smaller in those than any others. They were comfortable around my foot, but the lack of support was a deal-breaker, as I suspected it would be. I was thus trying to decide between the Royal Pro and Royal Primes, and the Royal Primes held my heel more snugly, even when pointing my toes, as well as having the side-to-side ankle support I wanted. I got Gold Star blades because there weren't a lot of options in my size (but lots of Jackson blades, which I didn't want). The better skate tech thought my foot was wide (probably because my heel is narrow), but measured both and announced my width normal (B). Which was good enough because I couldn't get anything narrower on a whirlwind day trip across the strait, and at least it wasn't wide. I suspected last year that my blades weren't aligned well for me and asked the coach at the time (not my coach now, nor really taking responsibility for me then even though they should have), who told me they were fine. I'm pretty sure the coach was just wrong, and negligent.

It's very different now. I love how easy turns and landings have become. I just rotate effortlessly. When I land I glide so smoothly out of my jumps. All my spiral positions feel more secure. I have to more consciously bend my legs, for now, but my coach made note of my bending my legs very well going into a loop jump (and the skate tech commented that I was bending my legs just fine), so the stiffness of the boot isn't really an issue for me. When I spin, it's much more important that I get my leg straight to get a centered spin, but when I do it's smooth. I also find that where before I felt more stable balancing my upright spin with my leg out before pulling in, now pulling in sooner is better (which is good because revolutions don't count until I pull in anyway). Sit spins went from an uncomfortable 3-4 rotations to a solid, smooth 6. I'm still working through the camels. The proper blade mounting is also helping make back spins a bit easier to hold position for, and my foot feels more evenly supported than it did before. I'm pretty sure my blades are mounted further outward on my feet to counteract the supination, and are better aligned.

I don't seem to be increasing the pain/intense contraction in the muscles on the outside of my landing leg above my ankle, as I was before. Whether that's because of fit or because of blade placement (or because I massaged them a lot in the last week) I'm not sure, but I'm cautiously optimistic on that front.

I LIKE the more prominent spin rocker very much. I still have to get used to my jumps, but I've done all of them several times, other than lutz, which I wasn't mentally ready to do again yet.

Lastly, I've determined which skate shop will get my money in the future if I can help it, as we went to both in the city but one was MUCH more helpful than the other, providing good service, solid information, and even more appropriate measurement and suggestions, and actually listened to and wanted feedback on each of the skates I tried, and gave a lesson on blades to my kid. They put me in multiple skates from multiple brands.

The other frustrated me and my kid enormously while providing no useful info and the bare minimum of service over several hours to try on only three skate models from one brand. She measured only my length. She criticized everything including my need to wear thin socks in my skates, telling me what I was feeling was untrue and impossible, comparing my foot to the outside of the skate's length to show me she felt it was big enough. She left us alone for 90% of the time we were there and just repeatedly said she liked the lace pattern on one pair I tried on, and that the one that held my heel tight and that my toe wasn't squished onto the end of was wrong for me in both size and stiffness (the skate tech at the other store directly viewed my bending and my foot on the insole of one size down - which reached all the way to the end - and said it would still be a reasonable size and boot to wear). I literally had to pull my own boots from the oven they piled them into, or I would have been sitting doing nothing for an hour. She even took a long phone call (20+ minutes) before bringing out a single pair of skates, and took my old skates to the back of the shop for an hour and a half for no discernable reason (I hope they didn't do anything to them). I had very little trust in the skate tech at the latter as he repeatedly asked questions and then turned his back and walked away to the entrance when I tried to answer (literally five words in), didn't listen to any of the issues I had, and then became VERY attentive when a pretty young woman walked in, giving personal, hands-on service to her and flirting nonstop.

The latter unfortunately got my money for my skates (since the other didn't have the right skate in my size) but I had my blades mounted by the former. The former blade tech listened to everything, including issues with my body and skates, and used that info to get everything right.

Last edited: