Bradie Tennell announces coaching change | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Bradie Tennell announces coaching change

readernick

Medalist
Denise did a great job coaching Bradie. While I hope she continues to improve, it's possible her new team won't be able to product the same results for her. There are skaters like Amber and a few others who can threaten Bradie's World/Olympic spot if she fails to improve.

I think Bradie is quite self motivated and that she is unlikely to regress (as long as she doesn't get injured). Will she get a 3A? That is harder to speculate on, but she does rotate quickly and her jumps are quite high.

In regards to Amber, I think we need to see her perform her programs in competition before determining that she will be a threat to Bradie or anyone else. I really enjoy her skating, but she has always struggled to produce clean programs in competition. She has always been a talented jumper, but her results have not reflected that. I hope that she has overcome her issues with inconsistency, but at the moment, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
In regards to Amber, I think we need to see her perform her programs in competition before determining that she will be a threat to Bradie or anyone else. I really enjoy her skating, but she has always struggled to produce clean programs in competition. She has always been a talented jumper, but her results have not reflected that. I hope that she has overcome her issues with inconsistency, but at the moment, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

That's a fair point. I'm hoping we see a situation like Mirai and Rika's, where serious training of the 3A lifted the quality of all the other jumps. The current seniors are going to need something beyond a 3-3 to compete for major international podium spots, so hopefully one (or more) can get those harder jumps mastered this season.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Blame Jeff Buttle for that Miss Saigon program flatness.

He isn't the one who had her skating awkwardly into the 3A, or with less attention to the arms and outward expression into some of the other jumps, or not working on the speed and quality of the footwork sequence, or doing a less pleasing combo spin, or giving less time to the spiral (which he attempted to place beautifully with the music). All of that is Tom Z putting less focus on the non-jump aspects of skating. Countless good programs became mediocre or bad under his guidance.

That said, for Bradie at this point, she does need a 3A if she wants to get anywhere. Although I don't feel like Tom Z has a special ability to make it happen. Guess we'll see.

elliana

On the Ice
How come none of the U.S. ladies opted to go to Brian Orser? I know he has a full roster of skaters, but is he really that busy that he couldn't take on another student?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
How come none of the U.S. ladies opted to go to Brian Orser? I know he has a full roster of skaters, but is he really that busy that he couldn't take on another student?

Brian is a great coach, but there are coaches in the US that can probably do as good as a job. His two superstar students, Yuna and Yuzuru, were already terrific skaters when they started working with him.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am just happy that Denise handled her leaving well and made such a classy statement. A good lesson for other coaches.

I agree. My guess is that Bradie gave Denise plenty of advance warning, which I'm sure would help any coach who's so closely involved with their student.

I couldn't help smiling, also, at how skillfully Denise pointed out Bradie's accomplishments under her tutelage. Very impressive. She struck a great tone ... proud of Bradie and their work, but modest. Taking enough credit, but not too much.

One of Bradie's outstanding qualities is her calm demeanor and quiet confidence. I think Denise had plenty to do with that.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Brian is a great coach, but there are coaches in the US that can probably do as good as a job. His two superstar students, Yuna and Yuzuru, were already terrific skaters when they started working with him.

I consider Javi a superstar, myself ;). By the same token, Rafael A. has taken skaters who were already pretty terrific skaters and other coaches could do just as good a job as Raf. Or any other coach we could name. Thank heavens we've ditched the "farm team" approach as in pro sports, and I find it even less applicable to skating.

I agree, however, that Raf and Brian are far from the only two coaches in North America, and the best coach is the one who works best with a skater. Whoever that may be.

I may have my doubts about Tom Z., but I hope it works for Bradie:yay:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I consider Javi a superstar, myself

Me too! When it comes to charisma, style and ability to connect to his music and his audience, he's unsurpassed. And his personality comes across so beautifully.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tom Z really? Aside from the jumps Tom's skaters are usually lacking in most areas of skating such as skating skills and choreography and being slow on the ice.