Bradie Tennell announces coaching change | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Bradie Tennell announces coaching change

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's a good move for Bradie. Tom Z got Mirai her 3A, and Bradie needs to up her technical game.

As much as people are worried about her overall skating declining (which is possible), she needs more firepower to compete with the Russians/Kihira/Liu. If she wants any hope of a medal in 2022, getting a 3A/quad is a must.

I agree, provided her ultimate goal is to become more relevant internationally. The jumps have to be upgraded, that's all there is to it. I admire her for not throwing in the towel. If she goes down, she'll go down swinging.

As far as artistic skating goes, I did see some improvement in the most recent season, and I hope that will also continue. We'll see.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm assuming the switch is because Tom Z. helped Mirai get a 3A. Bradie doesn't need much technical help otherwise. Her choreo last season was greatly improved so maybe this will work for her.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
he is more of a technical coach than anything, his skaters usually are not known for being super well rounded or artistic. which is a bit concerning for me with Bradie, because her artistry has been her biggest weakness, although its improved. i assume she went to him for work on a 3A and/or quad.

we saw the decline in Mirai's overall skating when she moved to Tom and began working on her 3A. the rest of her skating suffered. i hope the same doesn't happen to Bradie.

Mirai's overall skating didn't decline when she moved to Tom Z. She had been criticized as far back as when she worked with Frank for being unemotional in competition. Her under-rotations likewise kept her from repeating as National Champion and from a likely World medal when she was first after the short program at 2010 Worlds. When she went to Tom Z. she was at a low point in her career--no coach, passed over for the Olympic team. I think she did some of her best work with him. I particularly liked her Gatsby, Demons and Chopin programs.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Mirai's overall skating didn't decline when she moved to Tom Z. She had been criticized as far back as when she worked with Frank for being unemotional in competition. Her under-rotations likewise kept her from repeating as National Champion and from a likely World medal when she was first after the short program at 2010 Worlds. When she went to Tom Z. she was at a low point in her career--no coach, passed over for the Olympic team. I think she did some of her best work with him. I particularly liked her Gatsby, Demons and Chopin programs.
I agree. She was great and had nice programs compared to her national and international rivals. Let's not forget the selective UR calls, depending on the flag on your jacket...

frida80

Record Breaker
My guess. The triple axel now that Amber has it, that’s another person that threatens to knock her off the podium. She wants to be competitive. Tom Z is just one of a few coaches that has managed to get a skater to the 3A.

I personally think she was moving in the right direction. Especially artistically. But I respect her decision. I wish Tom was still pires up with Tami and Mie Hamada. I feel like they could provide some balance.

slider11

Medalist
I am happy for Bradie! She is an adult and I think she wants to spread her wings. Tom's camp will give her some independence and the ability to hone her jumps and improve her artistry. It will be interesting to see who does her choreography. Fly high, Bradie!

composer

On the Ice
I know Tom is not a popular coach and he has his faults but I will never forget that he took a chance on Mirai when no one else would, whatever his reasons might have been.
Good luck Bradie!

katymay

Medalist
To Tom Z of all people? Sigh.. Bradie... why?

Because now that Amber is landing the 3A, Bradie needs it as well. And as she has fast rotation, a quad is not out of the question. I think Amber will displace either Bell or Tennell, and Tennell doesn't want it to be her. Makes sense to me.

katymay

Medalist
I am happy for Bradie! She is an adult and I think she wants to spread her wings. Tom's camp will give her some independence and the ability to hone her jumps and improve her artistry. It will be interesting to see who does her choreography. Fly high, Bradie!

Someone pretty good has been named to do her choreography. (someone here will add it to the thread- the name escapes me for some reason)

noskates

Record Breaker
In my opinion, Bradie needs more than a triple Axel and that alone isn't enough to change coaches. With her body type and as fast as she rotates, I imagine a good jump coach could give her the guidance for that. Bradie, to me, seems cold on the ice and doesn't connect with the audience (when there WAS an audience.....) She needs a good choreographer and music that suits her. Maybe Tom Z can provide that.............but, I wish it had been someone else.

I really like Amber Glenn and I really appreciate how hard she works, but she rattles easily and putting 2 programs together error-free has been elusive for her. The 3A isn't going to be enough if she starts doubling other jumps, etc. I hope she does well but for me the jury is out on her. Mariah has personality, connects with the audience and exudes the joy of skating.....and she has found her consistency.

Nationals is going to be pretty interesting this year and I think it's going to be more who skates 2 clean programs than who throws a 3A.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I know Tom is not a popular coach and he has his faults but I will never forget that he took a chance on Mirai when no one else would, whatever his reasons might have been.

What "chance" did he take? She was a big name and paid him.

readernick

Medalist
I think it is good for skaters to work with and learn from a variety of coaches. I have always like Bradie’s coach. She seems knowledgeable and calm. However, Bradie likely feels that she has learned everything she could from Denis.Denise has been her (only?) coach throughout her career. It is logical to seek out new information from other coaches. I, personally, have rarely enjoyed Tom Z. skaters ( although I did love Joshua Farris and Camden when they were with Tom), but my opinion isn't important, Bradie's opinion is. I imagine Bradie thinks he can help her to get a 3A and become more successful internationally. I wish her success

In terms of her artistry, I have never particularly enjoyed Benoit's choreo but I think his angular choreo works for Bradie and that was shown in last year's SP. Hopefully, she still continue to find programs that allow her unique spirit to shine.

katymay

Medalist
In my opinion, Bradie needs more than a triple Axel and that alone isn't enough to change coaches. With her body type and as fast as she rotates, I imagine a good jump coach could give her the guidance for that. Bradie, to me, seems cold on the ice and doesn't connect with the audience (when there WAS an audience.....) She needs a good choreographer and music that suits her. Maybe Tom Z can provide that.............but, I wish it had been someone else.

I really like Amber Glenn and I really appreciate how hard she works, but she rattles easily and putting 2 programs together error-free has been elusive for her. The 3A isn't going to be enough if she starts doubling other jumps, etc. I hope she does well but for me the jury is out on her. Mariah has personality, connects with the audience and exudes the joy of skating.....and she has found her consistency.

Nationals is going to be pretty interesting this year and I think it's going to be more who skates 2 clean programs than who throws a 3A.

Well that is the problem with Amber-always has been-putting out a good long. Stamina issues I think. But she challenged last year, and this year with the 3A, she can be more than close. And so far this year, Amber is looking good and strong. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

composer

On the Ice
What "chance" did he take? She was a big name and paid him.

She may have been a big name, but in 2014 she wasn’t a big name for the right reasons. You are right that she did pay him though! Either way Mirai achieved her goal of going to the Olympics with him. Could she have done more with another coach? Maybe. Does she seem happy with what she has achieved with Tom? Seems so to me. So all is well that ends well I guess.

Ross74

Medalist
....................( In terms of her artistry, I have never particularly enjoyed Benoit's choreo but I think his angular choreo works for Bradie and that was shown in last year's SP. Hopefully, she still continue to find programs that allow her unique spirit to shine.)
I loved Bradie's SP last year! I felt like that choreographer understood her and worked hard to design a program that suited her. She also seemed to love it.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Don't think this is a great move. Her PCS is currently in a very good state considering her artistic limitations, with Tom Z she'll likely be judged much more harshly in terms of PCS and will lose that advantage. I also don't think that it's such a good idea to go all in on 3A / quads, for how many skaters was that the difference maker? I guess Tuktamysheva did well in 2015 with her 3A, but even she'd have lost to many skaters due to her artistic limitations(The field was quite weak at the time).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I also don't think that it's such a good idea to go all in on 3A / quads, for how many skaters was that the difference maker?
Beginning with Kihira and followed on by Tursynbaeva, the Russians, and You, the triple Axel and quads have transformed senior ladies' skating in the last two years. The way things are, there's little realistic prospect that a skater could make the podium in Beijing with the pre-2018 standard ladies' layout. So I think it makes perfect sense for Bradie to go all-in for those, if she has ambitions to really contend in 2022.

b-man

Final Flight
I'm surprised. She's been so quiet this off season, she has had time to decide what to do. Who else trains at this camp,?

Sylvia, other forum, tells me Paige Rydberg and Poojah are with Tom. Ting is hanging around her home in Baltimore and hasn't announced plans for upcoming year.