Breach of Protocols | Golden Skate

Breach of Protocols

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Cup of Russia Ladies events give soooo much material for this thread, to me they completely turned this scoring system into a total joke, to the point these rules have no meaning anymore.

You can go for the hardest elements and still lose to someone who trips into the steps sequence, make mistakes in the jumps, has wrong edges in the edge jumps.

Case in point: Shcherbakova vs Tuktamysheva just few minutes ago.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Cup of Russia Ladies events give soooo much material for this thread, to me they completely turned this scoring system into a total joke, to the point these rules have no meaning anymore.

You can go for the hardest elements and still lose to someone who trips into the steps sequence, make mistakes in the jumps, has wrong edges in the edge jumps.

Indeed, I don't think Anna S's skate was horrible or anything, but I'm confused by the levels. Liza got a level 2 on her layback, but why? She even got a Beillmann back to help her get a better level, what did she do wrong?

Also both of Anna's combo jumps seemed under, were Liza's? I thought the Lutz was good?

Also 3A! And she didn't step out like Sasha did...was there a bonus for that?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
Indeed, I don't think Anna S's skate was horrible or anything, but I'm confused by the levels. Liza got a level 2 on her layback, but why? She even got a Beillmann back to help her get a better level, what did she do wrong?

Also both of Anna's combo jumps seemed under, were Liza's? I thought the Lutz was good?

Also 3A! And she didn't step out like Sasha did...was there a bonus for that?
If I remember correctly a skater has to do 8 revolutions in one basic position without rising to an upright on a layback spin and a Biellmann position afterwards is only counted if the 8 revolutions in the basic position were fullfilled, Liza did only around 6-7 full revolutions in her basic layback position, therefore she did not get a level feature for the 8 revs and she did not get a level feature for the Biellmann position, since she did not fullfill the 8 revolutions in the basic position.

Edit: I looked into the protocols and her LSp got upgraded to a Level 3. I guess they counted her basic position afterwards

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Final protocol shows Liza's score increased by one point Level 3 layback, not level 2. This means her score is almost tied with Anna at 77.36. This score is fair due to levels and the UR 3T in the combo.

However, I have to say both Anna (especially) and Daria (a bit) were overscored. They both have edge issues on the 3Lz. Daria got ! but it is really an e. Anna didn't get any call. Anna was also overscored on spins today.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
What struck me about Anna's protocol was the high GOE on her step sequence, which was not at the level she's capable of. She got her level 4, which I buy, but +4 and +5 GOE?

I also want to go back and look at GOE guidelines because they seemed kind on the 3lz-2lo compared to what I would have assumed (again, without automatic/detailed knowledge of GOE scoring) - she got primarily -1 and -2, with one 0.

I won't touch PCS because it's inconsistent and based so much on reputation across the board. Talking about PCS you disagree with for one skater opens up a giant can of worms.

Looking at the prtocols I have the same impression that I got watching live. That the scores were quite straight-forward and transparent. Skaters that delivered their technical content prospered. Those who did a triple-double instead of a triple-triple, or came up with a <, were marked farther down as appropriate.

No complaints about the judging.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Berestovskaya should have received q in some of her triples (her loop for example looked slightly short watching it live, as well as the 3t in the lutz-toe), on the other hand no bonus on the spins is not fair, and components should have been way higher than Petrosyan. Elizaveta was the only one here who tried to perform the whole program.

Adeliya Petrosyan's program actually was far more comparable to the third here Valeria Ovchinnikova: more transitions (reflected in the components) but there were mistakes and she has worse jumps in general.

Valeria Ovchinnikova's both lutzes should have received the Bonus. It's kind of ironic how despite the lower TES, she is the one who showed the cleanest jumps at this event.

Last edited:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada

I completely agree.. the russian judging is as honest as the interference in election of other nations LOL. Its just... I can't even describe it. Where these numbers come from is beyond comprehension. They sure do push the skaters they feel need it from certain clubs and coaches rather than who actually skates properly and who deserves the real marks.