Malinin lands first quad axel at US International Classic | Golden Skate

Malinin lands first quad axel at US International Classic

ucrgirl

On the Ice
That was amazing!

But I hope he stops training it. It seems like regular training a 4 Axel has to be hard on your body and it would be more interesting to me if he could compete consistently for the next 4 years.

I thought there would be a clip on YouTube but I cannot find one.

16Olympics

On the Ice
If you only watched his sp, you'd think he wasn't quite ready for the season but BOOM! Leads with the 4A and ends with 3 epic jumps and combos in the bonus period. Amazing. His father looked so happy and proud. Love seeing this so early in the season.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
As Ted would say, "Look at the height"! Looked easy, poor Yuzuru.... ;)

That was embarrassingly unnecessary, don't you think? Let's see how Malinin does it at 26-7 years of age, and then let me hear you gloat and pass on judgements. I knew it would be a bad idea to check out this thread... Will avoid it now.

That said, congrats to Malinin. I'm not particularly interested in mega difficult jumps by anyone, so that's all I can say.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
If you only watched his sp, you'd think he wasn't quite ready for the season but BOOM! Leads with the 4A and ends with 3 epic jumps and combos in the bonus period. Amazing. His father looked so happy and proud. Love seeing this so early in the season.
His lutz is a bit off, think Nathan went through a similar phase. When his timing is more consistent then I think the SP will come together.

Amei

Record Breaker
Awesome job Ilia Malinin. Glad to see him hit it on his first competition attempt so there's no media speculation on will there be the first ratified quad axel today.

Question- can he now go for it in the SP for his required axel jump?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Awesome job Ilia Malinin. Glad to see him hit it on his first competition attempt so there's no media speculation on will there be the first ratified quad axel today.

Question- can he now go for it in the SP for his required axel jump?
I don't think so. If I recall properly, the requirements say a 2a or a 3a .... but he could do it in the combo.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Just unbelievable. History made and I’m so thrilled that he was able to put practice into competition. Congratulations to Ilia on the first quad axel! First ratified one, more specifically. 🔥

I wish this would get more coverage because it really is THE technical peak of figure skating. :clap: But Twitter and other forums seem to be unusually quiet about this news. 🤔

Last edited: