Brian Joubert - coaching change | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert - coaching change

Buttercup

Record Breaker
This has been speculated upon in one of the threads in the Worlds 2009 folder, and it now appears to be official: L'Equipe is reporting that Joubert will not continue working with coach Jean-Cristophe Simond. No word yet on who will be Joubert's new coach.

I can't say I'm surprised. Between the pressure from FFSG and what appeared to be a real lack of positive communication between the two, I expected something like this. I hope the change will be for the best.

Last edited:

Danale

On the Ice
:scratch::unsure:
No word about whether he'll relocate from Poitier? Cause DG is also trying to send him away from his mom, no?

oxade21, it's been a couple of days now, but your signature still makes me laugh!

oxade21

Match Penalty
Maybe Tarasova? then end up marrying Mao.. Yuna wins the gold at Olympics and Mao gets Joubert and everyone's happy?:p

There are speculations that IF he relocates from France, it is going to be eastward to Moscow.

I am not sure Mao is his type though:)

:scratch::unsure:

oxade21, it's been a couple of days now, but your signature still makes me laugh!

I know, delusional much. It is always judges fault. This is THE quote of the year for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I can see him going to TaT. They seem to get along, she likes him, and it's not like he'd be the only French skater training in Moscow. There's a press conference scheduled for later today, maybe they'll announce who the new coach will be.

Mao - no, I think it's Yu-Na Kim whom Brian admires, but of course the competition there will be fierce - almost as fierce as Yu-Na herself :biggrin:. Hmmm... maybe he should follow Adam Rippon's lead and go with Brian Orser?

Just a bit more from the articles, Brian says he felt JCS did not trust him (e.g. re the blade problems last fall) and attributed all of his difficulties to mental and psychological issues. It was clear from seeing them in the K&C at Euros and Worlds that something wasn't right. So again, hopefully he'll find a coaching situation he'll be comfortable with.

Last edited:
Brian, as well as many other skaters have to realize that the coaches do not skate before the judges. They do! At LA, Brian did one beaut of a quad. He was wonky elsewhere so it's his fault-not the coaches. It could be the choreograher's fault because of intricate patterns interfering with the elements, but in Brian's case one could see the pressure. I thought he would have eased of the pressure once he landed that quad. Evan's ovation got him nervous. Nothing to do with his coach or TT. It was just La hora de verdad!

bekalc

Record Breaker
Brian, as well as many other skaters have to realize that the coaches do not skate before the judges. They do! At LA, Brian did one beaut of a quad. He was wonky elsewhere so it's his fault-not the coaches. It could be the choreograher's fault because of intricate patterns interfering with the elements, but in Brian's case one could see the pressure. I thought he would have eased of the pressure once he landed that quad. Evan's ovation got him nervous. Nothing to do with his coach or TT. It was just La hora de verdad!

Joe. Brian's coach told Brian to change his program 5 minutes before Brian skated. So Brian got lost and confused during his skate, clearly this was a horrible mistake. Of course Brian makes his own choices but this has been his coach's strategy for the last couple of years and it could have cause Brian this world title and maybe even last year's world title.

oxade21

Match Penalty

Actually coaches do matter, especially in strategic decisions on what to do or not.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Actually coaches do matter, especially in strategic decisions on what to do or not.

Exactly, it's been this coach that has encouraged Brian to have 5 different plans based on how his competitors skate. And it's totally the reason for a lot of Joubert's results. He hasn't won a long in 2 freaking years. It's unacceptable for someone of Joubert's abilities and talents.

As long as Joubert is making the change because it's what he feels he needs to do, than more power to him. If he's making it because of federation pressure not good.

But seriously what does it do to a skater if their coach tells them 5 minutes before they go on to change their program?

And as for Joubert/Mao. Based on interviews it seems like Yu-na is more his type.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I really just don't understand how a coach can tell their skater to change his program 5 minutes before the skater is set to compete. :confused:

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I really just don't understand how a coach can tell their skater to change his program 5 minutes before the skater is set to compete. :confused:
Clearly you are not the only one who thought so! :frown2: On Youtube you can see Tatiana Tarasova telling Brian what a bad idea that was after he came backstage.

ETA: Simond, as one might imagine, is not a happy camper. Apparently he accused Joubert and the federation of not appreciating his work and sacrifice, and said he can't work in such a situation anymore; also some less polite things. Let's just say the whole thing, on both sides, is not pretty. It's really too bad.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Joe is back:clap: I missed all those insightful comments (no sarcasm or irony here - I am sincere for once)

Well, the Brian thing was to be expected, especially since G. (I can't spell the name of the Président de la Féderation Francaise) talked very tough in the interviews and basically told Joubert to change things or else.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Cross my fingers to wish that Tatiana Tarasova would be Brian Joubert's coach. Then there might be another Alexei Yagudin. :love: Brian does have some characters and charisma that Yagudin has.

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
Cross my fingers to wish that Tatiana Tarasova would be Brian Joubert's coach. Then there will be another Alexei Yagudin. :love: Brian does have some characters and charisma that Yagudin has.
For that he would have to relocate to Moscow. Because the FFSG wants a full-time coach (apparently Simond only spent about 4 months at Poitiers), a full-time stuff. And relocating to Moscow? He could move in with Fabian and Alexander Gaszi though. But that would be a huge step, like really huge.

And not everything Tarasova touches turns into gold, we all know that. Brian is a grown man in his mid-twenties with a strong personality, his own skating style. Alexej came to Tarasova as a teenager, basically void of any on-ice personality. I am not sure Tarasova is the solution here.

Danale

On the Ice
especially since G. (I can't spell the name of the Président de la Féderation Francaise) talked very tough in the interviews and basically told Joubert to change things or else.
Or else what? Seriously, what can he do to France's figure skating golden boy? Not let him compete?
I think it's teribble what he's doing (DG, I mean). It's like a brainwash. When someone keeps telling you something is bad for you, eventually you believe it yourself.

I am not sure Tarasova is the solution here.
And I don't see her as Brian's choreo anyway. She goes for such a different places.