Which Edea skates should I buy? | Golden Skate

Which Edea skates should I buy?

anais_lschr

Spectator
Hi everyone,
Quite new here, but I concern about what skates I should buy. I'm a 172lbs (78kg), about 5'6 (1m70) and 24-year-old figure skater. I've been skating for a bit more than a year. I've got my waltz jump, toe loop, salchow and half-flip and I'm working on loop and struggling with getting my scratch spin more consistent. I'm currently in Jackson Mystique and they're clearly not appropriate (too wide, my heel sticks out of the sole and not stiff at all) so I want to get a new pair of skate really soon. I thought about the Edea Chorus/Coronation Ace combo, so I tried the boot in a shop and felt quite comfortable with it. The tech confirmed that my foot is more an Edea foot than a Jackson one and that the Chorus are a good option for my height and weight. But the big concern is about what should I choose between Overture and Chorus as my coaches think that the Chorus will make too big a difference with the Jackson Mystiques I'm currently in (in term of stiffness) and they advised me more the Overture boot to fit my level. But I fear the Overture won't last me long and I don't want to spend such an amount of money in skates that will last one year or less. I prefer to spend more in a better pair that will last me longer. Does anyone have any advice? Are the Chorus going to be too stiff for me? Are the Overtures worth it?
Thanks by advance for your help

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hi everyone,
Quite new here, but I concern about what skates I should buy. I'm a 172lbs (78kg), about 5'6 (1m70) and 24-year-old figure skater. I've been skating for a bit more than a year. I've got my waltz jump, toe loop, salchow and half-flip and I'm working on loop and struggling with getting my scratch spin more consistent. I'm currently in Jackson Mystique and they're clearly not appropriate (too wide, my heel sticks out of the sole and not stiff at all) so I want to get a new pair of skate really soon. I thought about the Edea Chorus/Coronation Ace combo, so I tried the boot in a shop and felt quite comfortable with it. The tech confirmed that my foot is more an Edea foot than a Jackson one and that the Chorus are a good option for my height and weight. But the big concern is about what should I choose between Overture and Chorus as my coaches think that the Chorus will make too big a difference with the Jackson Mystiques I'm currently in (in term of stiffness) and they advised me more the Overture boot to fit my level. But I fear the Overture won't last me long and I don't want to spend such an amount of money in skates that will last one year or less. I prefer to spend more in a better pair that will last me longer. Does anyone have any advice? Are the Chorus going to be too stiff for me? Are the Overtures worth it?
Welcome to the forum!

I get where your coaches are coming from for sure - there’s a fairly big jump in stiffness from the Mystique to the Chorus - but IMHO I don’t think the Chorus is too much at all for you, at your weight and skill level.

One thing to be aware of that might not be apparent from trying the Edeas on at a fitting - they’re designed to fit and support your foot in a different way from other boots. They fit more loosely around the top of the ankle, and the tongue is designed to allow for easier forward flexion out of the box. This is part of why Edeas have a reputation for being so comfortable and easy to break in - but it’s also a considerable change from how other boots fit.

That of course isn’t to say that this isn’t the right boot for you - as long as Edea is a decent fit for your foot (which it sounds like your tech has confirmed) and you like the way they fit and feel, they’ll work out just fine for you, and I think the Chorus would be the right support level for you. This is just anecdotal of course - but, I’m in an adult group class working on USFSA Freeskate 2 right now (salchow, half-lutz, backspin) and there are three adults in my class who wear Edeas - all of them are in the Chorus.

Just be aware that it’ll be a big change, as you’re switching to a stiffer boot that fits very differently - but as long as you’re prepared for that and give yourself time to adjust, I think you’ll be OK!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone,
You should be fine in Chorus based on your physical stats and being an adult. If your fitter says its fine for you then you're okay.

Good luck!