Can Smarty Jones win the Triple Crown (or at least the Preakness) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can Smarty Jones win the Triple Crown (or at least the Preakness)

Johar

Medalist
Preakness field and morning line odds:

PP Horse Trainer/ Jockey

1 Lion Heart: Patrick Biancone/ Mike Smith 3-1

2 Borrego: Beau Greely/ Victor Espinoza 15-1

3 Little Matth Man: Martin Ciresa /Richard Migliore 50-1

4 The Cliff's Edge: Nick Zito/ Shane Sellers 8-1--SCRATCHED

5 Song of the Sword: Jennifer Pedersen/ Norberto Arroyo 30-1

6 Sir Shackleton: Nick Zito/ Rafael Bejerano 30-1

7 Smarty Jones: John Servis /Stewart Elliott 8-5

8 Imperialism: Kristin Mulhall/ Kent Desormeaux 5-1

9 Eddington: Mark Hennig/ Jerry Bailey 8-1

10 Rock Hard Ten: Jason Orman/ Gary Stevens 6-1

11 Water Cannon: Linda Albert/ Ryan Foglesonger 30-1

gracefulswan

On the Ice
i'm rooting for smarty! if he doesn't get the job done, then i'm for lion heart! i'll be glued to the t.v. today....

Donna ML

Rinkside
Smarty Jones; YES,YES,YES

After today that is all there is to say. Go Smarty Win The Belmont.

guinevere

Final Flight
Join the Smarty Party!

:love: SMARTY JONES!!!!! :love:

Wow, that was just an astonishing race. This horse ROCKS!

And once again:
-other (defeated) jockeys saying they ran a great race, but Smarty Jones is something completely else. As scratched jockey Shane Sellers (commentating) said: "I think we may be watching history here"
- the VISA spokesman said "We can't wait to hand over the check" for the $5million bonus.

I am going to be a nervous wreck on June 5.

Go Smarty!!!!!!

guinevere

Johar

Medalist
I'll be downing Pepto Bismol and Immodium AD on Belmont day:laugh: That track will be packed to the max.

If he wins he will be only the 12th horse in 130 years to win the Triple Crowm, the first horse since Affirmed in 1978 and he will win it undefeated like Seattle Slew in 1977.

Please, horse racing gods....let this be the year.....

guinevere

Final Flight
Sorry, two more things I forgot before:

Check out SJ's ears in the replay of the Preakness. Totally perked up. That horse had a lot of race left in him!

And - I'm sorry that the hometown horse, Water Cannon, came in last. He'd been undefeated in his last 5 starts (including one at the Preakness race course), and they did a nice interview with his trainer, who sounded like she was about to give up the biz before this horse came along. Anyone know why he was so late getting to the track? The announcers mentioned that he was being walked over from his stable, and it sounded like that wasn't the original plan. I imagine that could have affected his run, wouldn't you think?

guinevere

Johar

Medalist
1. Smarty Jones
2. Rock Hard Ten
3. Eddington
4. Lion Heart
5. Imperialism
6. Sir Shackleton
7. Borrego
8. Little Matth Man
9. Song of the Sword
10. Water Cannon

bronxgirl

Medalist
Smarty,Smarty,Smarty,
What can I say - you are definitely easing the figure skating off season for me, and even if Funny Cide couldn't win (as a New York bred), that's no reason why YOU WON'T BE CROWNED X3

Run, Smarty, Run!!:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
What a wonderful race that was. The truly great ones surely stand out. It was nice to hear all the other jockeys and trainers being so compimentary.

Ok - Three weeks from now we'll have a party around here.

Let's see, we need a plasma screen with HD reception, plenty of leather recliners, and plenty of food. Anything else?

Who's coming?

guinevere

Final Flight
Definitely some shots of whiskey to keep the nerves calm!

I'll be there!!!!!!!!

:love:

guinevere

Little Math Man moved up to 40-1 odds by track time, but, alas, finished eighth.

Big Math Man:)

bronxgirl

Medalist
I wondered if that horse had been named in your honor and;)

(and P.S. you are the ony Math Man on any board :) )

Last edited:

bronxgirl

Medalist
I got to watch the preakness today (was on a ferry while the race was on so I got to listen on radio while the race was live). Smarty impressed me even more. His ears were pricked up and moving around during the homestretch as he was pulling away as if he was looking for some other horse to dare to take him on. GO SMARTY!!!

Watched the Preakness on TV yesterday and Smarty is da bomb! Won by 12 lengths, I believe. Literally, it was "Eat my dust!" What a race!

I just hope Smarty can keep it up for the length of the Belmont. And damn! I wish I could go see it live! But I've probably be in the seats that are 25 miles from the track, lol. Though there's nothing like a live horse race no matter where you sit. The electricity in the air is amazing.
Rgirl

marymotormouth

Rinkside
Samrty can handle the distance.

I think his success in the Belmont will be directly related to how well he came out of the Preakness. I haven't heard any reports that he bled, so that is a good sign!

Keeping my fingers crossed. I'd probably pee my pants if he won the Triple Crown.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I think that Lasix is now permitted in racing in New York. I know for the longest time it wasn't so a horse could run on it in the Derby and Preakness, but not the Belmont.