Cappellini and Lanotte: "We want to fight" | Golden Skate

Cappellini and Lanotte: "We want to fight"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte of Italy put out an engaging performance which featured strong level 4 twizzles and rotational lift. The 2014 World champions also met all key points on their pattern and scored a new personal best of 76.57 points for fifth place.

Today was a special day for Cappellini as she turned 31.

"Fortunately, I can celebrate it with my friends and my husband (Ondrej Hotarek, ITA) who is also here," she said. "So it's kind of special. We want to cherish the Olympic Games, because as an athlete it's going to be the last time."

This makes the third Olympic outing for the Italians, who placed 12th in 2010 and sixth in 2014.

"The first time it was getting to know the experience of the Olympics, which can be quite overwhelming," said Cappellini. "It's a very big thing. It's so much bigger than a world championship, which is already big enough. In the second Olympics, we may have been overly focused and overly worried about it, but this time we wanted to give the best of ourselves. We let in a little bit more of the Olympic experience. So far it's been working well."

"We are trying to live this Olympic Games as adults," said Lanotte. "The last Olympic Games in Sochi we were very worried about it. We couldn't really live it fully. The first Olympic Games we were at, we lived it like kids. We weren't really believing what was going on because everything was so big, it was out of our reach. But this time we are taking a mature approach."

"We will be in the last group in the Olympics tomorrow," he added. "We want to fight for a medal and we want to be among the best. We stayed in it for a reason, to show that we are that couple. I think today we showed it again how we performed and we hope to do well in the free dance."

More...

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good luck, Anna and Luca! I'm happy a medal is still within their reach, they are always lovely and elegant to watch. Fingers crossed for them. I'd be happy if one of Hubbell/Donohue, Shibutanis, and Cappellini/Lanotte took the bronze, I like them all and it's hard to pick just one favorite. Too bad I missed all short dances this time - Eurosport swallowing up all the rights has really meant a disaster for me as a viewer so far. -_-