Caption this! | Golden Skate

Caption this!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
John, I'm having trouble with that link......."What's Finnish for Yikes?".........Jaana, are you on board? My Finnish is so rusty, I haven't got a clue.....42

IDLERACER

Medalist
I'm impressed. Especially after seeing that piece on "60 Minutes" a few years ago, about how Finnish people are generally known throughout Europe for their brooding stoicism. Another stereotype shattered!

Kasey

Medalist
"And while it suddenly enforces the 2-second rule in the short program and faces the changing scoring system, the ISU continues to deny all allegations of involvement in the Janet Jackson 'Nip-gate' scandal....."

Wonder if this was short or long program?? :)

Kasey

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
show 42 said:
John, I'm having trouble with that link......."What's Finnish for Yikes?".........Jaana, are you on board? My Finnish is so rusty, I haven't got a clue.....42

I have no real translation for "yikes"... It could be any sound for a horror like uuuuh or ooooh, LOL.

I have no idea who that skater is and where she has performed.

Marjaana

Last edited:

Ritti

Spectator
LOL!!

Thanks Jaana for e-mailing me and telling me what was going on here! I wouldn't have found this thread otherwise...

Now, answers to your questions:

1) If 'yikes' is the same as 'ewww', then the Finnish for it is 'yäk'. ;)

2) I don't know who the skater is, but I doubt she's Finnish, LOL. The picture is a a TV screen capture of a show filmed at the famous Lido club in Paris. It was shown on Finnish TV around 1995 if I remember correctly. The skater did a solo routine to "My Way" ( :p ) on an ice surface that was not much larger than a restaurant table.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
If 'yikes' is the same as 'ewww'
Not exactly. Yikes is more about surprise, eww is more about disgust.
Example: Yikes, Mike Weiss has fired his wife as choreographer!:eek: Ewww, but he is still taking his shirt off in his new program.:sheesh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
This thread is a riot (no, not as in "Riot Squad"....:D ).

John, thanks for the new link. All I can say is "Wow"...I'm sure that means the same in any language.

Jaana and Ritti.......thanks for your imput (and welcome to GS Ritti)......42