Car-less skaters, what bag do you use? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Car-less skaters, what bag do you use?

Girlbird

On the Ice
A friend of mine uses a ski boot backpack! It’s a similar idea to the trans pack but bigger and not mesh to protect from the obvious elements associated with skiing. There are also rolling kinds. They also tend to be more stylish, imo, than the skate backpack.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So the shop contacted Edea who say they do not supply replacement parts nor do they do repairs. I wasn’t expecting much but considering they’re such a bit company they should consider providing better aftercare services.
If the bag is otherwise still usable, you might try a generic luggage repair shop and see whether they can fix it and how much it would cost. As long as Edea doesn't use some proprietary wheel, a generic luggage repair shop should have a replacement.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So the shop contacted Edea who say they do not supply replacement parts nor do they do repairs. I wasn’t expecting much but considering they’re such a bit company they should consider providing better aftercare services.

Seems rather a faff to go to in order to make up for poor design in a bag that’s not even cheap enough to make it seem worth it, and hardly a quick and easy thing to do in the middle of the street if the heavens unexpectedly open. I’ve had the experience of putting on skates which got damp in a sudden downpour (in the Edea bag which it turns out can resist light rain but nothing torrential) and there are few things more miserable when you’re also damp and cold and the rink is freezing. A good fix if you already have a Transpack though.
I open my bag zip a bit at the top for ventilation if it’s not raining and I take my skates out of my bag as soon as I get home so I don’t feel the need for the large mesh panels to air my skates.
I’d like to try ones of these bags in case I’m really missing out on something but for the price point I’ll wait until the theoretical day when they bring out one with a zip away rain cover like it should really have had in the first place.
The bag isn't cheaply designed. These bags are intended for indoor use, travel by car and again as I said, not standing around in torrential downpours. I can get away with it in the summer where I skate/perform most of the time. Otherwise I haul my usual hardsided carryon suitcase with me.

Lucie

Rinkside
The bag isn't cheaply designed. These bags are intended for indoor use, travel by car and again as I said, not standing around in torrential downpours. I can get away with it in the summer where I skate/perform most of the time. Otherwise I haul my usual hardsided carryon suitcase with me.
Since this thread is about a bag for skaters who take public transport and walk, my reply was from that POV as I do this myself. I don’t stand around in torrential downpours but I do have 2 10min outside walks between train/bus and if it suddenly pours my skates can still get wet even if I run. It sounds like you really like the transpack, I hadn’t considered having a different bag for summer and winter. If as you say the transpack is suitable for indoors or car then it sounds like it’s not very good for someone like me or OP in autumn/ winter but could be good in summer if you can fit your training clothes in it when it’s too hot to wear them outside the rink. The hard sided suitcase sounds appealing - dry skates guaranteed!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Since this thread is about a bag for skaters who take public transport and walk, my reply was from that POV as I do this myself. I don’t stand around in torrential downpours but I do have 2 10min outside walks between train/bus and if it suddenly pours my skates can still get wet even if I run. It sounds like you really like the transpack, I hadn’t considered having a different bag for summer and winter. If as you say the transpack is suitable for indoors or car then it sounds like it’s not very good for someone like me or OP in autumn/ winter but could be good in summer if you can fit your training clothes in it when it’s too hot to wear them outside the rink. The hard sided suitcase sounds appealing - dry skates guaranteed!
Did you read my initial post where it said that I carry this outside walking/biking back and forth to rink in summer where it DOES rain?!?! Bag has been in rain (pop up summer showers) and has been fine.

Last edited:

Lucie

Rinkside
Did you read my initial post where it said that I carry this outside walking/biking back and forth to rink in summer where it DOES rain?!?! Bag has been in rain (pop up summer showers) and has been fine.
And I was basically agreeing that it must be good for walking to the rink in summer since you have found it good for that?
I was put off them by the mesh and the bulk and because I hadn’t considered having more than one bag for different times of year/ rinks, but I’d be interested in getting one now, thanks. Is there room in the middle compartment for a change of clothes?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
And I was basically agreeing that it must be good for walking to the rink in summer since you have found it good for that?
I was put off them by the mesh and the bulk and because I hadn’t considered but I’d be interested in getting one now, is there room in the middle compartment for a change of clothes?
Yes, it should fit a change of clothes. It's designed to carry a helmet etc. Also, it's got a water-resistant coating on it, so it does push alot of the water off if you do get caught in a rain shower.
They also sell ones that have the boot part closed off (not mesh), they're for ski boots, but I don't see why skate boots wouldn't fit. :)

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
I use the Edea Libra bag (similar to transpack) most of the time because it is easy to bring on a bike. It has a hidden rain cover built in! I just unzip the cover and pull it over the bag when it rains. If it's so rainy rainy that I need an umbrella, I use a Zuca bag. The Zuca bag seems to have less space than the backpack, which doesn't really make sense.

That said, I bought my Edea backpack about 3 years ago and now the padding on the straps are thinning out. Back then, it was pretty affordable. I don't know that I would replace it with the same one at the current prices.

Lucie

Rinkside
I use the Edea Libra bag (similar to transpack) most of the time because it is easy to bring on a bike. It has a hidden rain cover built in! I just unzip the cover and pull it over the bag when it rains. If it's so rainy rainy that I need an umbrella, I use a Zuca bag. The Zuca bag seems to have less space than the backpack, which doesn't really make sense.

That said, I bought my Edea backpack about 3 years ago and now the padding on the straps are thinning out. Back then, it was pretty affordable. I don't know that I would replace it with the same one at the current prices.
Ah interesting- looks like at least one manufacturer had the same idea as me, what a shame I won’t be able to make my fortune 😂
Shame the Edea ones are more expensive and don’t come in all the pretty colours!

IceIceIce

Spectator
Hi all,
I need a bag for my skates. Been using an old backpack that is slightly too small or duffel bag that is slightly too big, and it’s not working anymore. However, I either bike (have a basket on the back) or take transit to get to the rink. So a big roller bag is out. And so many of the bags also have lots of mesh. Great in theory, but not great when we get hit with bad weather. So, any recommendations of bags that you like or don’t like? Skate specific bag or a good backpack that would fit my skates? Thanks!
You might try looking at local climbing or hiking stores,

A daypack or approach bag would be about the right size and many are made with bad weather in mind. You could also sew up a rain cover for whatever backpack you get. Basically it is just lightweight waterproof nylon with elastic stitched around it so that it covers your pack when you are wearing it (like a shower cap). Under Armour 30 liter size backpacks are pretty sturdy and weather resistant with good pocket layout.

Yeah, the mesh padded backs and shoulder straps are not fun when they get wet!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You could also sew up a rain cover for whatever backpack you get. Basically it is just lightweight waterproof nylon with elastic stitched around it so that it covers your pack when you are wearing it (like a shower cap).
You can buy rain covers for backpacks, though I don't know if the commercially available ones are the right shape for the transpacks. It looks like they are a bit more rectangular, where the transpack is a bit squarer.

link

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel

celia

Rinkside
I use a sturdy non-skating-specific backpack. I live in NYC and take public transit. It's a 20 minute subway ride and a 20 minute walk (or 10 minute bus if it's there) to the rink. Between the stairs in and out of the subway and the walk, I need a comfortable and roomy bag (NOT on wheels), and not one that is so heavy in and of itself that it adds to what I have to carry. I have had the same North Face backpack (Borealis but I think they've since changed the design slightly) for over 10 years, with a couple minor sewing repairs that I did myself. It's been fine during a "normal" rain, but once I was in a torrential downpour for 20 minutes and that did not go well. But in general it's been exactly what I need.

Elija

On the Ice
I use a carry-on designed backpack similar to this one when I have to do a lot of walking without a rolling bag: https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Waterproof-Outdoor-Rucksack-Daypack/dp/B09QS8XDLB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=CIRHUE4YK978&keywords=carry+on+backpack&qid=1685642653&sprefix=carry+on+backpa,aps,922&sr=8-3

Otherwise I would just use a suitcase or keep my skates in a locker if that option is available. I find most stuff designed for skating to be ugly to be honest and that's stupidly important to me.
I’m with ya 😂 can’t have an ugly bag, and I also find most skating specific bags ugly.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany

A friend I skate with has this bag, or at least, and Edea bag with a rain cover. She likes it, except for the fact that it’s all pink glitter. 😂🙄

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
You might try looking at local climbing or hiking stores,

A daypack or approach bag would be about the right size and many are made with bad weather in mind. You could also sew up a rain cover for whatever backpack you get. Basically it is just lightweight waterproof nylon with elastic stitched around it so that it covers your pack when you are wearing it (like a shower cap). Under Armour 30 liter size backpacks are pretty sturdy and weather resistant with good pocket layout.

Yeah, the mesh padded backs and shoulder straps are not fun when they get wet!
I think (can’t remember, and too tired to scroll) I mentioned above that I have a day(ish) hiking bag from Gregory. I find that the single giant pocket is a disaster for me, because I can’t find anything. I am bummed, because it’s otherwise a great fit. For summer, I’ve been using an old North Face bag I used in college. It’s fairly weatherproof, although the back support leaves something to be desired.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I use a carry-on designed backpack similar to this one when I have to do a lot of walking without a rolling bag: https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Waterproof-Outdoor-Rucksack-Daypack/dp/B09QS8XDLB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=CIRHUE4YK978&keywords=carry+on+backpack&qid=1685642653&sprefix=carry+on+backpa,aps,922&sr=8-3

Otherwise I would just use a suitcase or keep my skates in a locker if that option is available. I find most stuff designed for skating to be ugly to be honest and that's stupidly important to me.
I skate at multiple rinks, so lockers aren’t an option sadly. Skate bags are quite ugly. Your bag looks cute, and more like what I was hoping to find!