Carolina Kostner's LP | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner's LP

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am likely alone here, but I did not like Carolina's long program she skated at Skate Canada. Carolina just did not suit skating to Ballet music. She is too muscular and too tall to pass as a ballerina. She is too athletic.

I don't think this is the right program for Carolina.

Kinga

Medalist
You are not alone. In general I find it hard to like her programs. But I really liked her SP this season (in spite of the meltdown she had). However, her LP does not make any impression on me.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I am likely alone here, but I did not like Carolina's long program she skated at Skate Canada. Carolina just did not suit skating to Ballet music. She is too muscular and too tall to pass as a ballerina. She is too athletic.

I don't think this is the right program for Carolina.

Really? I have yet to see her skate this season but did her body shape change? I have never really thought of Kostner as muscular (though all skaters must be) and athletic. I always thoughts she looked slim and long - willowy almost.

Ant

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
The Lp is ambitious but does not have the wow factor and, so far, the connection with the audience. Maybe things will change (although Russian audience doesn't look much warm), anyway I think this piece of music would suit better little and catty skaters like Caroline or Mirai. Looks like a sort of imitation of the Japan top skaters (when they were younger). There's also a move, in the middle of the program, who recalls that gracious move of Yu-Na during "Die Fliedermaus".
Carolina is 21 now and a tango is better for her.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Really? I have yet to see her skate this season but did her body shape change? I have never really thought of Kostner as muscular (though all skaters must be) and athletic. I always thoughts she looked slim and long - willowy almost.

Ant

I haven't thought of Caro muscular or athletic, either. I also do not think that she is too tall to pass as a ballerina. One of my favorite ballerinas is just as tall as Caro is. Although she is relatively tall as a ballerina, she is still said to have an ideal body as a ballerina with long legs and arms. I do not think that Caro's body lines are inappropriate for the music.

But I think Caro looks cooler and more stylish skating to modern or contemporary interesting music than very classical music like this.

shine

Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner is anything but muscular looking :laugh: She's as lithe as a skater can get! I actually thought she lost some weight this season!
The LP didn't leave much impression on me but it most likely wasn't because of the music not suiting her, but because of the choreography. The SP was much stronger I thought.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
I agree. But I think strong classical music choices fit her well.

Her Dumka Trio was really well choreograph and has been one of her more successful programs, as in her Canon SP a few years back.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
I have always thought of CK as lithe and very ballerina like. However, maybe the speed she skates creates a different impression.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Caro has the look of a womanly (not a little girl) ballerina, but I would not classify her skating style as balletic. I think her style is more suited to modern dance or strong music like Vivaldi's Four Seasons or Carmina Burana or Dumky Trio that showcases the attack and speed she normally has on the ice. Funny I say that though, because I like both of her programs this season even though they are departures for her. I'd really like to see her Tango and Swan skated cleanly!

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
When i first heard of Carolina's choice this summer i was horrified. She is the last skater I could see to portray a dainty swan.
I saw her LP on YouTube, and was pleasantly surprised. I think she got into the character, and Lori used a lot of the choreography from the dance of the black swan from the Ballet. I think Lori and Carolina were smart in choosing this character, who is not at all a dainty, soft, but a seductrees, who dances with sharp, dramatic and at times awkward movement.
Of course no swan lake matches up to Sasha's in my eyes, but Carolina did a better job than a lot of skaters!

shine

Record Breaker
I've never loved a LP from Kostner. She has had some very good SP's, though.

I think this is her best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtNTyUG0DTE

Well, Carolina probably could be one of the greatest there ever was if she had the consistency. There just seems to be no friction between those blades and the ice, and those jumps are truly gorgeous when she's on. And the way she moves so freely across the ice is just amazing! When she skates like that, I just can't see how ANYONE could not love it! :love:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I don't think greatest ever but she's certainly able to be great and, in yet another case of horrible judging, that SP placed 4th.

Irina Slutskaya won the SP with 2 mistakes and no Triple-Triple.

eb_rolleyes.png eb_rolleyes.png eb_rolleyes.png

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree Blades of Passion. Carolina Kostner and Michelle Kwan both should have been ahead of Irina Slutskaya and Sasha Cohen in that SP. Irina and Sasha both had multiple mistakes while Kostner and Kwan were clean. Irina's headbanger Lutz and blotched spin and Sasha's 2-footed 3flip, blotched spiral, and going over the time limit. Really bad judging at that event!

Last edited:

berrycute

On the Ice
I am a big Caro fan, and I think she is far more elegant and graceful than she ever gets credit for. Ballerinas need not be very short, but they need to have long legs in proportion to the rest of their body. Caro of course has this, and I think as a result some of her spiral and spin positions are lovely (she could be a bit faster in her spins sometimes, but a minor complaint). I think this new LP could be great, it's well choreographed and ends with a great footwork sequence (nobody does footwork better than Caro at the moment, IMO, although Mao comes very very close).

And I agree with the misjudging in 2005! Plus, Caro's best or at least most complete LP was at the 2003 Euros, and she finished 4th! She should have gotten silver or at worst bronze!

SXTN

Final Flight
And I agree with the misjudging in 2005! Plus, Caro's best or at least most complete LP was at the 2003 Euros, and she finished 4th! She should have gotten silver or at worst bronze!

Right! Technically one of the best programs a lady has ever skated... Two clean 3-3's and a 2A-half loop-3S combination....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Carolina's body type/build has always reminded me of a delicate graceful bird... Joannie I would classify as athletic in shape... both skaters are athletic in skating style.