Carolina Kostner's LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner's LP

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Right! Technically one of the best programs a lady has ever skated... Two clean 3-3's and a 2A-half loop-3S combination....

I hadn't heard of this before, so I went and watched the performance.

It was very boring. Quite odd that she only had 5 jumping passes too. It's great that she completed all those combinations but in the end she actually only did 6 Triples.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Joannie reminds me of dancers in other fields like Salsa perhaps? Athletes in the Summer Olympics looked so much more athletic.
I think Caro has a ballerina body type (might be less skinny though), which underscores the beauty in spirals and spins, but her moves are not like classical ballerinas, more like modern dancers.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Further On Kostner

Perhaps muscular was not the correct choice of word to describe Carolina's build, but somehow she did not strike me as the ballet body type. She certainly is taller than most of the other girls. I just don't find her skating style that smooth and flowing.

Carolina is not on my top 5 favorite female skaters list - let's just put it that way.

Penny

On the Ice
Swans

Caroline was portraying Odile, the black swan--the evil swan--not the white swan Odette. I liked it. She has the speed associated with Balanchine dancers.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Caroline was portraying Odile, the black swan--the evil swan--not the white swan Odette. I liked it. She has the speed associated with Balanchine dancers.

I think it was her arm movements that bugged me. She is not terribly graceful, at least in the ballet venue. Maybe with some work on her arm positions and pointing of her toe she will look more like Odile.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Can it be classified as a transition when it's performed after a jump?

Yes i believe so. The British commentators on Eurosport noted Joannie's transitions after jumps - like her solo triple Lutz in the LP shows great control on the landing by doing a controlled turn after the landing and then holding the forward edge.

Ant

Bennett

Record Breaker
I think it was her arm movements that bugged me. She is not terribly graceful, at least in the ballet venue. Maybe with some work on her arm positions and pointing of her toe she will look more like Odile.

Even though I find her bodyline suitable for ballet, I agree that her moves are not those of classical ballet. that's why I love her skating to more contemporary stuff better.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can it be classified as a transition when it's performed after a jump?

Absolutely! Transitions are linking footwork and movement entering and exiting all technical elements, including jumps, spins, and footwork sequences.

berrycute

On the Ice
Well...all the naysayers will be pleased to know Caro has heeded their advice and ditched the Swan Lake program, returning to Dumky Trio (2007-2008 Program) as of Cup of Russia. I'm kinda sad, we've seen Dumky Trio, I wanted something new and for Caro that WAS Swan Lake. I also felt some people judged it negatively before they'd viewed it properly.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I am happy that she went back to the previous program because it was my favorite. I am happy to see it again!

She has a beautiful bodyline and good posture that can pass as those of a ballerina if she just stands still out there. But her moves are not balletic. Her moves are very sharp and her arms are very often straight. Her por des bras are not soft. So I think that this music is a better match with her style.

Last edited: